Bridge of Spies FILM discussion

mrbellamy

AMISTAD alternates between some breathtakingly directed scenes and a lot of really maudlin, paternalistic bullshit that have the dubious distinction of even making Williams look bad. It's a schizophrenic movie featuring the best and worst Spielberg has to offer.

That 'maudlin, paternalistic bullshit' is some of the most profound material Spielberg has ever filmed. It's Hollywood's most mature handling of the history of slavery to date, and makes 12 YEARS A SLAVE seem utterly trite in comparison.

Why profound? I saw nothing but a straightforward courtroom TV drama about slaves with a lot of miscasting. What made it into Spielberg's most profound masterpiece? Because it's about slavery? Then there's the matter of historical inaccuracies.

That 'maudlin, paternalistic bullshit' is some of the most profound material Spielberg has ever filmed. It's Hollywood's most mature handling of the history of slavery to date, and makes 12 YEARS A SLAVE seem utterly trite in comparison.

Rubbish. There are some strong scenes with the slaves, like the opening or the remembrance of middle passage - all the americana stuff is on a Hallmark level of writing and filmmaking and no amount of rhetorical sugarcoating can make amends for that.

If Spielberg would have just trusted his instincts, AMISTAD could have become a dark and powerful drama. As it is, it's barely enough for a rainy sunday afternoon (Sharky excepted, of course).

The Coens have a spotty history at least since their glory days ended in 2003.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. In my opinion they have only made good movies from 2007 forward.

A Serious Man was a great film, one of my favorites of theirs. No complaints about True Grit, and No Country for Old Men is a masterpiece. Didn't see the most recent one.

I applaud him for watching any and all movies seemingly without prejudice, but I don't have the time to waste on films that have a 15% score on Rotten Tomatoes (Skyline) and based on everything I've read tells me I will hate it.

Disney scheduled the Cold War spy thriller for October 16, 2015

Once again Spielberg drops a movie just before a Star Wars or Harry Potter film, meaning JW won't have all the time he needs to complete the franchise score. Damn you SS!

Disney scheduled the Cold War spy thriller for October 16, 2015

Once again Spielberg drops a movie just before a Star Wars or Harry Potter film, meaning JW won't have all the time he needs to complete the franchise score. Damn you SS!

With the way Spielberg works now, I think the movie will be done in early 2015. Williams should be able to do both.

That's my point.

The same thing happened in 2002 with AOTC / MR and HP2 / CMIYC. And in 2004 with HP3 / The Terminal. And in 2005 with ROTS / WOTW. Spielberg has the worst timing!

2 months isn't bad, except Star Wars will have to be scored first. Meaning the timeframe for scoring it may be compressed.

No, it won't need to be. If the production schedule is similar to, say, War Horse, scoring will be done by spring 2015. (Which gives Williams plenty of time to spot, score, and conduct the Episode VII sessions in England.) The thing about Spielberg that I love is that he's amazingly efficient, edits on set, and knows exactly what he wants. He doesn't go down to the wire to finish the film, he's finished months ahead of release.

Since Harrison's injury will reportedly take him away from production for up to 6 months, I wonder if Episode VII will be pushed back to May 2016? If so, would The BFG conflict with Episode VII?

Since Harrison's injury will reportedly take him away from production for up to 6 months, I wonder if Episode VII will be pushed back to May 2016? If so, would The BFG conflict with Episode VII?

Wrong. He's out for 6-8 weeks, and it's not going to affect Episode VII's release date. They're going to shoot around Ford's availability.

I've read 6-8 weeks and I've read up to 6 months. Disney/Lucasfilm hasn't made a statement, so it's speculation and nobody really knows for sure at this point. I doubt it will affect the release date, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like this will definitely be Spielberg's next film(s)

Yes, they've been confirmed for over a month as Spielberg's next two films.

Two Williams scores in 2015, yay.

Very likely, but still unconfirmed :)

Looks like this will definitely be Spielberg's next film(s)

Yes, they've been confirmed for over a month as Spielberg's next two films.

True, but it's sometimes hard to know with Spielberg. Every now and then a movie looks like it's about to get off the ground and then he abandons it.

I don't think that'll be the case here, though. There's been a lot of news in just a few months and he really seems committed to doing this asap.

• 1 month later...