Headphones

bob23

One thing I don't like about Sennheiser is that they need amps. I don't like buying equipment that requires other equipment to function adequately.

Even the 598?

No. Have you looked at the 558s? Those are great for orchestral music if that's what you primarily listen to. You may not even have to go with as high a model as you're looking at.

No. Have you looked at the 558s? Those are great for orchestral music if that's what you primarily listen to. You may not even have to go with as high a model as you're looking at.

You recommend them over the 598?

It's hard to say. Headphones are very subjective. You say you can't go test them. Well, my humble opinion is that you would likely be equally (or at least within an acceptable margin) satisfied with the 558s. When I was working my way up in headphone quality, I stopped there before jumping to something higher from where I was.

I actually prefer my work headphones to not be noise cancelling / isolating, so I can still hear everything going on in my office

I use earbuds with over the ear loops at work, and tend to just wear the right one.

These $300 bluetooth headphones are $80 right now due to Amazon's Prime Day

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1XKBWG?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-6_6222_1d97de39&smid=A2786WKP10TGF2

Should I take the plunge? Anyone here have any experience?

EDIT: Here's a review

http://www.soundguys.com/bluedio-r-legend-review-596/

I took the plunge.

I found a deal on the Sennheiser HD 600's. They arrived today. I think they are going to be really good headphones but they definitely need an amp to go with them.

These $300 bluetooth headphones are $80 right now due to Amazon's Prime Day

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1XKBWG?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-6_6222_1d97de39&smid=A2786WKP10TGF2

Should I take the plunge? Anyone here have any experience?

EDIT: Here's a review

http://www.soundguys.com/bluedio-r-legend-review-596/

I took the plunge.

Let me know if I missed out.

I found a deal on the Sennheiser HD 600's. They arrived today. I think they are going to be really good headphones but they definitely need an amp to go with them.

this is the amp I use

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2

I just figured out the AMP makes sound louder. That's all it does. The DAC actually adjusts the quality of the sound. Are there recognized settings for a DAC that are standard for soundtrack listening?

I just figured out the AMP makes sound louder. That's all it does. The DAC actually adjusts the quality of the sound. Are there recognized settings for a DAC that are standard for soundtrack listening?

Nope, best to keep it (or any equalizers) flat so its as the music engineers intended it. The only reason you'd want to play around with any DAC or equalizer settings is if you have bad headphones. If you bought those HD600s from Sennheiser, you shouldn't need any adjustments. Film music is usually recorded very well in the first place. :)

Thought I'd add something as well, since you said DAC settings....just keep them at 16-bit, 44khz and enjoy the music. That's the resolution of CDs and there's no point in anything higher for playback. Most people by the time they reach 25 aren't hearing anything higher than 18khz anyway--and that's test tones, not real music.

Nope, best to keep it (or any equalizers) flat so its as the music engineers intended it. The only reason you'd want to play around with any DAC or equalizer settings is if you have bad headphones. If you bought those HD600s from Sennheiser, you shouldn't need any adjustments. Film music is usually recorded very well in the first place. :)

Thought I'd add something as well, since you said DAC settings....just keep them at 16-bit, 44khz and enjoy the music. That's the resolution of CDs and there's no point in anything higher for playback. Most people by the time they reach 25 aren't hearing anything higher than 18khz anyway--and that's test tones, not real music.

Thank you :)

the link I put is a DAC/AMP There are no settings (except a bass boost), it's just plugged into the USB port

Sound quality is much better than the normal PC output (and louder to drive my headphones)

the link I put is a DAC/AMP There are no settings (except a bass boost), it's just plugged into the USB port

Sound quality is much better than the normal PC output (and louder to drive my headphones)

This is what I'll probably end up getting :)

Haven't spun a CD in some time. The convenience of a computer and FLAC (lossless) files will trump digging out a CD any day.

@indianagirl - not a problem. :) Been working the computer audio scene for years now. Lots of snake oil thrown around.

foobar2000 --> FLAC files ---> USB DAC --> Amp --> Pioneer Bookshelves

Plenty good for a small apartment. :) Can't exactly blast music as loud as I want. Plus I also own the Sony MDR-7506 headset, and if the people that are engineering the music you enjoy so much think they're that awesome, then they're plenty good for me too.

Well if I can ever afford a house, I'll remember to keep those in mind. They look nice. :D 40hz is good for a 2.0 system and no sub. 70khz...well dogs would love that, or bats. What did they cost?

PX100? Though they may not fit well over hearing aids.

The keyword you're looking for is circumaural (around the ear). The PX100 are supraural (over the ear), so they might sit on the hearing aid.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphones

There's a good amount under $100 there. As always I advocate Sennheiser and even in these lower models you'll be getting a better product than most anything else at the same price level. I used to have the 429s I think, and they were very fine.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I love what I've heard about the 558s but they they're way out of my price range.

I had those for a very long time. Definitely worth the investment once you can, and they'll last.