Williams writes "Great Performances" TV Theme

TownerFan

That's great news. But what ever happened to the theme he did for "Mystery" some years ago. I heard it on one show and then it went back to the original theme they had been using.

That's great news. But what ever happened to the theme he did for "Mystery" some years ago. I heard it on one show and then it went back to the original theme they had been using.

What's "Mystery"?

What's "Mystery"?

If you knew, that wouldn't be a mystery then, would it?

What's "Mystery"?

Daddy-O, for which Williams composed the score, was featured in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode, according to The John Williams Web Pages.

What's "Mystery"?

I should have said Masterpiece Theater. That's the show Williams wrote a new theme for but they went back to the original theme.

Mystery is the companion show to Masterpiece theater on PBS.

I should have said Masterpiece Theater. That's the show Williams wrote a new theme for but they went back to the original theme.

That's because it was never intended to replace the original theme.

This is pretty exciting.

Yeah, it should be a great performance.

:lol:

*groan*

:P

Kryten: "It'll as predictable as an episode of Tales of the Unexpected...that old Channel 72 show, it was...they...never mind."

what exactly is this tv series about?

It's not a drama nor a comedy series. It's a show dedicated to broadcast versions of famous stageplays, I guess.

I think this new theme will be a close cousin of the Masterpiece Theatre American Collection Theme.

This will be interesting. I wonder if he will write it as a sort of theme for the King Lear, or it will be written with future performances in mind. I wonder how large the ensemble will be.

I've never seen anyone mention that Masterpiece Theatre's American Collection theme before...it's a nice little piece. The quote of the original Masterpiece Theatre theme is a cool touch.

I've never seen anyone mention that Masterpiece Theatre's American Collection theme before...it's a nice little piece. The quote of the original Masterpiece Theatre theme is a cool touch.

Be sure to catch the full "concert" version, it's a very lovely piece.

SEMI-retired. I think doing one film score every three years and whipping out the occasional TV theme or concert piece qualifies as semi-retired.

Incorrect. He's as active as ever (even more in his conducting duties). A concert piece takes a lot of time to be written properly. Half of the process is only meditation and doing a rough sketch of the architecture of the work. And then writing the notes, which can take many months.

He's certainly working as hard or even harder than his contemporary colleagues (who premiere one work per year, more or less).

Is that available on a release? Or....elsewhere? :P

Is that available on a release? Or....elsewhere? ;)

Sure. :P

• 5 years later...

Back to revive this old thread...I've done some searching on the site and on Google and can't seem to find anything on this theme. You can hear about :40 of it at the beginning of every episode. Does anyone have a link or any info on the "Great Performances" theme?

Back to revive this old thread...I've done some searching on the site and on Google and can't seem to find anything on this theme. You can hear about :40 of it at the beginning of every episode. Does anyone have a link or any info on the "Great Performances" theme?

http://www.thirteen.org/insidethirteen/2009/03/25/interview-john-williams-on-great-performances-spielberg-and-more/

http://www.thirteen.org/insidethirteen/2009/03/25/interview-john-williams-on-great-performances-spielberg-and-more/

It seems like the link at the bottom of that page is set to private on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqwk5xY-Nrg

Any ideas?

I've searched high and low and can't find a recording of this song ANYWHERE. Seems odd. What am I missing?

Not much. As far as I know, it hasn't had an official album recording. But it can be found multiple places, usually attached to the images.

I've searched high and low and can't find a recording of this song ANYWHERE. Seems odd. What am I missing?

Not much. As far as I know, it hasn't had an official album recording. But it can be found multiple places, usually attached to the images.

When you say attached to the images, do you mean played at the beginning of Great Performances? If that's the case, only the first 40-something seconds are listenable before it awkwardly and abruptly fades out.

When you say attached to the images, do you mean played at the beginning of Great Performances? If that's the case, only the first 40-something seconds are listenable before it awkwardly and abruptly fades out.

Yes, that's what I mean. I have a longer version, but I have no idea where it comes from. Could it be a rip from the end title version?

• 1 month later...

Hi, long time follower of the site, first time poster.

Anywho...

www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/rejoice-itzhak/3459/

It's a fairly new episode with John's theme at the beginning.

This is the one! Thor sent me a version that's somewhat similar (maybe from credits?) but we still can't find a full version of the recording in the link you've put here. The best we have is the opening as seen in this video (and others like it) which abruptly cut off. :/

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know where one can find a recording of JW's Great Performances theme without any spoken dialogue? I have looked everywhere. I cannot even find a YouTube video of the theme from a broadcast with dialogue included.

I have a version of the theme, but I don't know its source. Can't remember. I think it may just be copied off of the tv broadcast or something. The sound is decent, but not much more. There has been no official recording of the theme for album purposes, as far as I know.