Williams filmography in Bluray - a list

filmmusic

Not really, is mostly an american response to James Bond. But it's quite entertaining and has very realistic mountain-climbing scenes towards the third act that almost give you vertigo. They're so realistic that one or two stunt guys died while performing the scene!

After the Happinet japanese release of Dracula (1979) on Bluray, it comes in France too from Universal this time (so maybe a different transfer and inclusion of "colored" version?) on September 2nd:

http://www.amazon.fr/Dracula-Blu-ray-Frank-Langella/dp/B00KUD401W/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1402747473&sr=1-3&keywords=dracula

a user review about the Japanese release:

the sound is more than expected i got some shiver with the fantastic music of john williams
and the picture is on top
it seemed that the movie is in black and white but it is not
there are some colours sometime it is what john badham wanted

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dracula-Blu-ray/72131/#UserReviews

Also there is a Czech release of How To Steal a Million.

I've seen some screenshots and it looks very good with grain intact.

103531_large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dracula is coming to US too on September 2nd!!

mOMM3UD.jpgsnuprnL.jpg

• Digital Copy of Dracula (1979) (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.)
• Includes UltraViolet (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.)
• The Revamping of Dracula
• Feature Commentary with Director John Badham
• Universal Classic Monsters Trailer
• Dracula TV Series Trailer

OH MY GOD!!!!!

(At last!! ALWAYS!!!!! and 1941 (theatrical & extended), DUEL and SUGARLAND EXPRESS)

Steven_Spielberg_Director_s_Collection_E123402.jpg

Announcement from Universal Australia!!

(source: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=244401)

UPDATE: The set is coming in USA too!

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Spielberg-Directors-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00LFHYX2I/ref=sr_1_21?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1404216404&sr=1-21&tag=viglink20391-20

The Steven Spielberg Director’s Collection
Yours on Blu-ray™ from October 23, 2014

For the first time ever, a landmark collection of unforgettable films, from the most influential filmmaker of our time.

Australia, (July 1, 2014)

Eight memorable films from one of the most acclaimed directors in motion-picture history come together for the first time ever in the Steven Spielberg Director’s Collection, available on Blu-ray™ from October 2-, 2014, from Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Since beginning his long and distinguished career on the Universal backlot more than 40 years ago, Spielberg has gone on to direct an unprecedented number of some of the biggest box office hits and critically-acclaimed films in cinematic history.

The Steven Spielberg Director’s Collection showcases some of the most unforgettable movies the three-time Academy Award® winner.

From early achievements such as his very first television feature, Duel, and first theatrical release, The 'Sugarland' Express, to blockbusters such Jaws, 'E.T.'the'Extra-Terrestrial' and 'Jurassic' Park, Spielberg’s films have captivated audiences worldwide and set a new standard for filmmaking. Starring some of Hollywood’s top talents, including Drew Barrymore, Richard Dreyfuss, Julianne Moore, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Dan Aykroyd, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, Samuel L. Jackson, Laura Dern, Goldie Hawn, John Belushi, Vince Vaughn, and film icon Audrey Hepburn, the films included in this historic collection are accompanied by a Blu-ray™ exclusive: A -4-page companion book on the visionary director’s career, featuring rare photos, archival materials and more.

The Steven Spielberg Director’s Collection includes four movies never before released on Blu-ray™ including Duel & The Sugarland Express that have been digitally remastered from their original film elements. Hours of bonus features include Making-of Documentaries, Interviews with Steven Spielberg, Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes, Rare Archival Footage, Deleted Scenes and much more. The perfect gift for any movie fan, the collection offers an opportunity at last to experience some of the most memorable films of our time from perhaps the most influential filmmaker of the past 40 years.

The eight films featured include

Duel (1971)
A travelling salesman (Dennis Weaver) is terrorised by an unseen trucker on a remote desert highway.

The Sugarland Express (1974)
A mother (Goldie Hawn) desperately attempts to reunite her family by helping her husband escape prison and kidnapping their son.

Jaws (1975)
When a seaside community is under attack by a great white shark, the chief of police (Roy Scheider), a marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a shark hunter (Robert Shaw) embark on a quest to destroy the beast.

1941 - Theatrical & Extended Version (1979)
Pandemonium erupts in Los Angeles after the WWII attack on Pearl Harbour in this wartime spoof starring Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
A lost alien from space befriends a 10-year-old boy (Henry Thomas) who helps him find a way home.

Always (1989)
After sacrificing himself to save a friend (John Goodman), a daredevil firefighting pilot (Richard Dreyfuss) returns to earth to help his surviving girlfriend (Holly Hunter) move on with the help of an angel (Audrey Hepburn).

Jurassic Park (1993)
Journey to an amazing theme park on a remote island where dinosaurs once again roam the earth and five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators. Starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Samuel L. Jackson and Sir Richard Attenborough.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
Four years since the disaster at Jurassic Park, two groups are in a race against time that will determine the fate of the remote island’s prehistoric inhabitants. Starring Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore, and Vince Vaughn.

About Duel. Only once cut is included:

Specs from press site:

Disc 1 (Side A) (Feature 1): Duel

FEATURE: Duel
RUN TIME: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
VIDEO RATING: Not Rated
DISC TYPE: BD-50 (Single Sided)
LAYERS: Single

AUDIO:

English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
Spanish DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono
SUBTITLES: English SDH
French
COLOR
BONUS MATERIALS : • A Conversation with Director Steven Spielberg
• Steven Spielberg and the Small Screen
• Richard Matheson: The Writing of Duel
• Photograph and Poster Gallery
• Trailer

Still waiting for Munich...

I would prefer if instead of Lost World they had Schindler's List, or Saving Private Ryan, or A.I., or anyway, any other Spielberg film! :mrgreen:

Well this is a box set of Universal films, which is why it has Duel, Sugarland, Jaws, 1941, ET, Always, and the JPs. Though it is odd Schindler's List isn't included since that is the other Universal Spielberg film - maybe it's because they don't want an "important" film like that bundled with other films.

Munich, Saving Private Ryan, and A.I. are all Dreamworks films, so they'd have to be in a boxset Paramount would put together.

Well this is a box set of Universal films, which is why it has Duel, Sugarland, Jaws, 1941, ET, Always, and the JPs. Though it is odd Schindler's List isn't included since that is the other Universal Spielberg film - maybe it's because they don't want an "important" film like that bundled with other films.

Munich, Saving Private Ryan, and A.I. are all Dreamworks films, so they'd have to be in a boxset Paramount would put together.

Oh, i see.

So, the ONLY other Spielberg film they could have included is Schindler's List, right?

edit:by the way, i see here Munich was co-produced with universal too, which had the theatrical rights to USA.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408306/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co

So, maybe the US set, could include that...

Hmm, looks like Munich's DVD was released by Universal in the US. So it's a bummer that isn't included in the Universal Spielberg box, then.

This is exciting overall, I'm looking forward to seeing 1941 in high def most of all (I can't believe it includes the Extended Version, I thought that was only cut on video!), plus Always for the first time.

Very exciting Dracula is coming out too, another film I've never seen. Thanks for updating this thread, filmusic!

Any chance we'll get individual releases for the new to Blu-Ray films in the near future? I'd rather not buy a boxset costing €100-150 when I own half of them already!

Thanks for updating this thread, filmusic!

Don't mention it! :)

i was thrilled to know about ALWAYS!

DUEL is the only film I haven't seen.

Any chance we'll get individual releases for the new to Blu-Ray films in the near future? I'd rather not buy a boxset costing €100-150 when I own half of them already!

Also after a while, i'm sure the price will drop. As in the amazon deals.

The BLurays I have from this set are E.T. (which I'm gonna keep because it's a lovely digibook and has subtitles in my native language for the film and the special features) and the Jurassic Parks (in the trilogy digipack set).

I will sell this set because I don't need JP 3, and buy the Spielberg set.

So, I will have only E.T. as a double disc.

(even better, because E.T. is my favourite film of all time, so if one breaks, I'll have the other one! :biglaugh: )

i was about to buy Jaws this summer, but i'm glad i held off. (I am not sure if this is the right expression)

So now that I have ALWAYS out of the way, next in line for my 5 most wanted Williams scored Blurays would be:

Spacecamp

Black Sunday

Stanley and Iris

Jaws 2

The River

I'd buy it if it goes down because I think it could be awhile before some of those films get a single release. $130 is waaaay too steep for the time being though. I'm not really in a rush to see them anyway I guess. I'll just continue getting the rest of the Spielberg films already available.

I imagine Munich isn't included as it's a previously unreleased title that'll sell well on it's own.

I imagine Munich isn't included as it's a previously unreleased title that'll sell well on it's own.

That could be an explanation too, yeah.

I doubt many would rush to buy standalone releases of ALWAYS and SUGARLAND EXPRESS, so in this box-set, they're buying them anyway, along with the other films.

But Duel, Sugarland, 1941, and Always are previously unreleased too...

But probably wouldn't sell very well on their own as Munich.

But Duel, Sugarland, 1941, and Always are previously unreleased too...

But probably wouldn't sell very well on their own as Munich.

1941 might. Especially since it includes both versions.

Much cheaper at £58 in the UK. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-Spielberg-Directors-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00LED9EHC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1404236682&sr=1-1&keywords=spielberg

So about €72. Bit more manageable. Hopefully it'll go down another little bit,

filmmusic, I'm surprised you didn't get the digibook release of Jaws.

No, i was about to get the steelbook.

I have developed a love for steelbooks lately.

I think digibooks will deteriorate more easily.

So, for any bluray that there is a digibook and a steelbook version, i think I'll prefer the 2nd.

If I would have to pick between a plain case and a digibook only, then I'd pick the digibook.

Here's a photo of the US set.

It appears to be similar to the Hitchcock Masterpiece collection:

5681.jpg

Just hope the transfers are good, because I heard something that Universal likes to DNR its releases...

I guess the Jurassic Park blu is a good indicator of what this set will look like? There's DNR on that but I think the picture (and OMG that sound) quality is amazing! One of the best Blus I've bought!

I guess the Jurassic Park blu is a good indicator of what this set will look like? There's DNR on that but I think the picture (and OMG that sound) quality is amazing! One of the best Blus I've bought!

Well, E.T. was great too.

I'm not sure about Jaws since I don't have it.

Here's a photo of the US set.

It appears to be similar to the Hitchcock Masterpiece collection:

5681.jpg

Just hope the transfers are good, because I heard something that Universal likes to DNR its releases...

Really looking forward to this. Mikael Solomon's cinematography in HD for Always will look glorious.

Thanks for the detailed listings by the way, I did something similar many moons ago.

Mikael Solomon's cinematography in HD for Always will look glorious.

Yeah, I'm also looking forward to this Bluray more than the others.

Hope it is true to the source and not digitally tampered with..

It's a pity many people don't like this film..

it was very moving. Ok, maybe a bit chees-ily moving.. :mrgreen:

Is there any chance Jurassic Park will be the 3D remastered release but in 2D instead of the bad 2D conversion currently available?

I thought the 3D was brilliant for the most part. For someone like me who has seen that movie 30-40 times, it actually provided a new experience.

I thought the 3D was brilliant for the most part. For someone like me who has seen that movie 30-40 times, it actually provided a new experience.

Did you see the screenshot comparisons that I posted and how much detail is missing?

The film looks smudged.

Could be. But when I saw it on the big screen, I didn't notice any smudges. If I had any issues with the conversion, it's the light beams in some sequences, which were weirdly threedimensional (like the water pillar in THE ABYSS). But the extra dimension allowed me to discover many more details in the image that I hadn't noticed before.

Why Munich and Schindler's List weren't included in the Spielberg collection set:

(official statement from Universal)

The Steven Spielberg Collection showcases the Director’s journey at Universal making some of the biggest blockbusters in film history that have thrilled, entertained and delighted audiences around the world. Due to the historical significance and deeply serious nature of the films, Schindler’s List and Munich were not included so as to not understate their unique impact.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/070214_1300

As someone said in a forum, Munich will be most likely released next year, since it is its 10thn Anniversary!

I hope there will be separarse releases for the Movies included in the set and not previously available. Al Spielberg blu ray are awesome in terms of video and audio quality. Being Jurassic Park the worst, as it was un DVD. Don't know exactly why. Bit E.t. and Jaws have an amazing picture quality.

I'm sure they will be released individually at some point. If Universal's Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection is any indication, it could take 12–18 months for them to all come out. But maybe this will be a little different, because while only 2 of those 15 films were on Blu-ray at the time, 4 of these 8 already are.

• 2 weeks later...

For US people, The Long Goodbye comes on Blu-ray in November.

(there is already a Region B UK Bluray out with isolated score + effects track. Don't know if the US release will have that too)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Long-Goodbye-Blu-ray/69026/

69026_large.jpg

Why Munich and Schindler's List weren't included in the Spielberg collection set:

(official statement from Universal)

The Steven Spielberg Collection showcases the Director’s journey at Universal making some of the biggest blockbusters in film history that have thrilled, entertained and delighted audiences around the world. Due to the historical significance and deeply serious nature of the films, Schindler’s List and Munich were not included so as to not understate their unique impact.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/070214_1300

As someone said in a forum, Munich will be most likely released next year, since it is its 10thn Anniversary!

I'm sorry, exactly what impact did "Munich" have, except "not much" at the box-office?

I'm sorry, exactly what impact did "Munich" have, except "not much" at the box-office?

There's more to films than their box-office gross, Rich, you should know that.

MUNICH was a very controversial film at the time of its release, and still is, especially from the pro-Palestinian camp.

Of course I know that; I was being a little facecious.

Where I saw it, the audience didn't really care for the whole Israeli/Palestinian thing, although I did think that SS was very brave to show The WTC. He's probably the only director to do it twice (if you take into consideration post 9/11 openings for "A.I." such as the U.K.).

I like "Munich", but I'm not sure if it has necessarily left a deep groove in the big scheme of things. I've never heard of or read about any controversy around the film. Perhaps I need glasses.

• 1 month later...

I found out while in LA this weekend that the new 1941 Blu Ray uses seamless branching to include BOTH versions of the film in High Def!!!!!!

Previously, the Director's Cut was only available on a non-anamorphic DVD that was a direct port of the original laserdisc master.

The Theatrical Cut was recently remastered in 2K and has been streaming on Netflix, etc. The BD contains that same remaster, and for the DC the additional scenes in it were also rescanned at 2K, but I am told don't look QUITE as good as the Theatrical scenes. Still, it's great news!

No isolated score option, unfortunately. But of course, the LLL CD has everything you need anyway!

I found out while in LA this weekend that the new 1941 Blu Ray uses seamless branching to include BOTH versions of the film in High Def!!!!!!

But does it still look like someone smeared Crisco on the lens?