David Shire's Return To Oz - New Intrada 2CD

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

10402484_10152934065732169_482998961829711150711_10152934065737169_2600926489683

RETURN TO OZ

Composed and Conducted by DAVID SHIRE

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 319

The year 1985 was an extremely rich source of brilliant film scores. One of the most significant was David Shire's score to the 1985 Walt Disney film Return to OZ. Starring Fairuza Balk in the role of Dorothy and a host of new friends, the events take place after the story portrayed in The Wizard of OZ, with her Aunt and Uncle believing Dorothy is delusional in her belief in OZ, sending her for psychological therapy before she is whisked back to OZ where she needs to save it from the gnome king.

OZ was the first fantasy film for both Director Walter Murch and the composer. Armed with the London Symphony Orchestra, Shire composed and recorded a stunning magnum opus, rich in themes and motifs, color and beauty, suspense and terror, action and even some ragtime for good measure. In addition to several smaller motifs, Shire wrote a total of nine major themes representing the different characters in the film. He tied most of his themes into some instrumental or stylistic antecedent in American music, because he saw the story as Dorothy’s dream. Much of his score is derived from what he imagined Dorothy’s experience would be as a girl growing up in America during the turn of the twentieth century.

The complete score on this album is nearly twice the amount of music heard on the original soundtrack (which is presented in its Shire-curated purity on disc 2), edited and mastered from two-track digital stereo mixes derived from the 2″ elements stored in pristine condition in the Walt Disney vaults. It expands upon the original 1985 soundtrack album in numerous ways, including many previously unreleased cues and edits within various tracks as well as the inclusion of various “sweeteners” (xylophone, triangle, timpani, harp) that were not included in the album mixes. In fact, many of those LP mixes differed in substantial ways and in some cases became wholly new versions distinct from their film counterparts.

Just in time for the film's 30th anniversary, this restoration of one of the finest film scores is now available.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 319

Retail Price: $29.99

SHIPPING NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9617/.f

David Shire

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 319

Date: 1985

Time: 2:31:29

Tracks: 45

Price: $29.99

David Shire's masterpiece gets the attention it deserves! 2-CD set offers entire 84-minute film score plus another 17 minutes of additional cues as well as complete album that was originally issued on Sonic Atmospheres. Fascinating differences between two versions abound: Initially presented in 1985 from Eric Tomlinson's live two-track session mixes plus select remixes, Shire originally chose 12 tracks, assembled them into beautiful, creative album. However, those mixes did not always contain variety of additional colors (tympani, xylophone, triangle, mandolin) as those were captured on separate channels of the 2" 24-track elements only - such as solo tympani at the start of "Opening Sequence". Shire expressed joy at having Intrada tackle the expense of locating complete session elements housed in Walt Disney vaults, restoring all tracks and allowing entire score to shine!

Previously unreleased music is plentiful, including powerful "Mombi's Awake" sequence, exciting "Wheelers Pursue" cue, entire climactic 11-minute confrontation with Nome King, much more. Listeners can enjoy entire masterpiece in chronological sequence with everything Shire recorded in glorious full mixes as intended, then savor 1985 highlights album with sequencing designed for purely musical listening via abbreviated album mixes. Both offer rewards! Walter Murch tackles complex, dark story of Dorothy returning to magical land of Oz only to find all in ruins, her beloved friends gone. Shire frames magnificent score with genuine Americana warmth, tender sadness, wistful nostalgia - then fills musical canvas with incredible fantasia replete with themes for numerous new characters, dramatic passages, soaring climaxes, powerful action music, you name it. When all is finally said and done, Shire wraps with one of film score's all-time most sweeping, classic-style finales featuring Michael Davis, lead violinist of London Symphony Orchestra. Fun tidbit: At conclusion of moving finale, film wraps with rousing quote of Shire's "rag march" idea. That also premiere's in this 2-CD release as an extra on disc 2.

Detailed notes by Tim Greiving offer details of sumptuous production, beautiful graphics with "flipper" cover design by Joe Sikoryak showcase two sides of legendary artist Drew Struzan. David Shire produces, supervises entire Intrada project. This is truly Shire's magnum opus come to life at last. Herbert Spencer orchestrates, David Shire, Harry Rabinowitz conduct London Symphony Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

TRACK LIST

CD 1

01. Opening Sequence** (With Sweeteners) (3:10)

02. Finding The Key* (0:45)

03. The Ride To Dr. Worley’s** (2:13)

04. Ozma In Reflection* (0:55)

05. Upstairs At Dr. Worley’s**+ (4:47)

06. The Headphones*/Flight In The Storm (3:43)

07. Oz/The Ruined House** (5:11)

08. The Deserted City**+ (3:56)

09. Tik Tok+* (Revised) (3:10)

10. The Hall Of Heads** (3:01)

11. Jack Pumpkinhead** (3:20)

12. Here’s What We Have To Do* (2:05)

13. Mombi’s Awake* (3:45)

14. Flight Of The Gump* (Revised #1) (4:23)

15. Mombi’s Mandolin #2*/Wheelers Pursue*/Crash Landing* (3:28)

16. Where Are We Anyway?*/Yes, Your Majesty*/Into The Nome King’s Lair* (3:31)

17. Don’t Cry/Where’s Dorothy?* (1:41)

18. We Accept* (0:50)

19. Wrong Guess++* (0:24)

20. Farewell To Pumpkinhead*/Tunnel Charge #1*/Tunnel Charge #2* (1:46)

21. Ruby Slippers Colloquy** (3:34)

22. The Ornament Room** (2:32)

23. You’re All That’s Left* (0:41)

24. One Guess Left*/But Not For Much Longer*/Stop**+/Nome Chase+/Final Chaos And Restoration**+/Triumphal March (11:01)

CD 1 Total Time: 74:35

CD 2

01. Cheering Bridge/Goodbye** (4:52)

02. Just A Reflection/End Credits (5:56)

Total Score Time: 84:23

The Extras (Alternate Cues)

03. Tik Tok++** (Original) (3:05)

04. Mombi’s Mandolin #1* (From Stereo Stems) (0:57)

05. Flight Of The Gump (Mix 2) (3:58)

06. Flight Of The Gump (Revised #2)++ (4:00)

07. We Accept* (Film Assembly) (1:39)

08. Triumphal March* (End Credits – Part 2) (0:41)

09. The Return To Oz – Rag March++ (2:46)

Total Extras Time: 17:17

Original 1985 Soundtrack Album

10. Dorothy Remembers/Home/The Ride To Dr. Worley’s (4:22)

11. Ozma/The Flight In The Storm (3:56)

12. Oz/The Ruined House (4:54)

13. The Deserted City/The Wheelers/Tik Tok (4:58)

14. Mombi’s Hall Of Heads (2:47)

15. Jack Pumpkinhead (2:49)

16. The Flight Of The Gump (4:00)

17. Dorothy And The Nome King/The Ornament Room (4:27)

18. The Defeat Of The Nome King/The Restoration (6:11)

19. The Mirror (2:34)

20. Finale And End Credits (Theme From Return To Oz) (4:30)

21. The Return To Oz Rag March (2:46)

Total 1985 Album Time: 48:32

CD 2 Total Time: 76:54

*Previously Unreleased **Includes Music Previously Unreleased

+Contains Music Not Featured in Film ++Not Featured In Film

AiWGYgv.jpg

8Pw43Vn.jpg

C3ODnsA.jpg

Samples & Order: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9617/.f?sc=13&category=-113

Additional Order sites:

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/29008/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M09904/return-to-oz/

http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/1776-return-to-oz.html

Signed copies:

http://creaturefeatures.com/shop/cds/return-to-oz/

Beyond excited. Sounds great! And even I didn't realize just how much music was unreleased or had been micro-edited for the album! Wow! Can't wait to get my signed copy from Creature Features!

Jay, did you listen to the clips for this one to see if you'd like it?

Gosh darnit! I guess I have to get this one.

To be fair the clips they chose seemed to try to showcase some of the unreleased music (and kept some of the best of that still not in the clips they chose) as opposed to some of the moments of the score that really stand out. I'd still listen to some of the full album tracks. This one in-particular:

I have to get this. But my wanted-list from Intrada is getting quite large. Not easy, specially with such a weak Euro at the moment

Like the film, I think this score is vastly underrated. Oddly enough, however, I think the album version will definitely still be the best listening experience. It also uses what I think are alternate performances which in some ways are better than the film versions. But of course the Intrada set is amazing for giving us both in one amazing package. And I am beyond happy to finally have certain tracks that were absent from the album. Just know that is also adds a lot of underscoring as well.

Creature Features podcast actually had a fairly recent interview with the Return To Oz director Walter Murch talking for an hour's length about Return To Oz! While it is a shame Disney never had the nerve to ask him to do a commentary track for this film on their DVD or Blu-ray releases, this is pretty much the closest we'll ever get. And it's awesome! He goes through the whole process of making the film, and doesn't hold back. He even talks about how he actually got fired from the film temporarily until George Lucas got him back! Wow.

And of course, they also talk about the score in some detail and the importance of music, more than once. And funny enough, at the end they tease of a big Return To Oz release. Since this was recorded back in March, it is clear that the soundtrack release was what they meant. ;)

Murch-Banner-Pumpkin.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/creature-features/pod-people-episode-4-walter-murch

The album is pretty great but there are some amazing highlights missing. You can hear one in the samples when Dorothy inspects the Nome King's collection. If you're not sold on it, try some of this stuff and tell me you don't get off on it:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah of course I did! ;)

Despite everything (and we never really got answers to what these film versions are), it's a damn fine album as is.

Karol

Well, those are my thoughts on it anyway. It is a flawed release, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Anyone who is not a huge fan or as familiar with the film as I am will fall in love with this release even more. And given how long it has been out of print, just being able to get this at all right now is a huge service to fans, especially with the beautiful liner notes and-- hey! Someone scribbled all over mine! I better send it back!

You should demand a refund and a new free copy to repay for the ruined liner notes! How dare they scribble there in the middle of the notes!

• 6 months later...

Maybe Scallenger can shed some light on this one since he's like the Return to Oz score expert, or the closest thing to it. I listened to this one again recently and I was reminded of an anomaly which I never brought up and I've never seen mentioned. There are numerous anomalies on this set, actually. So, the ending of "The Ruined House", the film version. I want to say skip to around 4:40, maybe 4:46 exactly. What the hell is that sound? It's not on the album version. There's something fishy going on with the end of this cue. I don't know if the master tapes were damaged or something there.

• 4 years later...

While scanning the album cover, I ran across this.  I don't know how or why, but if somebody wants the original album for free apparently you can get it here:

https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/products/return-to-oz-original-soundtrack-by-david-shire-bay-cities-edition

2 hours ago, Turbo said:

While scanning the album cover, I ran across this.  I don't know how or why, but if somebody wants the original album for free apparently you can get it here:

https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/products/return-to-oz-original-soundtrack-by-david-shire-bay-cities-edition

I already own it!

Bit scratched up but it has.unique liner notes, so I held onto it.

On 5/28/2015 at 10:02 AM, Incanus said:

You should demand a refund and a new free copy to repay for the ruined liner notes! How dare they scribble there in the middle of the notes!

On 5/28/2015 at 9:58 AM, scallenger said:

Well, those are my thoughts on it anyway. It is a flawed release, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

" Flawed"?

Screenshot_2020-06-19-21-17-26~2.png

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Did anyone else order the free album from BSX? I did on June 19 and still haven't received my package, or even a tracking number. 

Email them and ask where your $0.00 OOP CD is.

• 2 years later...
On 28/5/2015 at 12:58 PM, scallenger said:

Oh I completely agree! And even though I personally believe that it truly is missing music (inserts that were just not located with the sessions, kind of like how the Mombi Mandolin #1 was also not found but they used a film stem for in their extra tracks), it has almost every bit of unreleased music from the film. I think there are only really three parts from the film where music is still missing (when Dorothy arrives at Oz, the Mombi Awake/Gump scene, and the moments directly after the Nome King is vanquished). But this is also countered by actually quite a bit of music that is NOT in the final film that no one has ever heard before until now. The latter portion of "Upstairs At Dr. Worley's" for example seems to originally score Dorothy as she is being tied down to the gurney and then wheeled to where the electro shock therapy is to take place. It's CREEPY music, and if you try to sync it up to the movie, it really adds to the scene! There are various bits and pieces of unused material like this spread throughout the album, including another lengthy bit after the Nome King is vanquished where the music takes on a dark and almost creepy version of the "Kansas" music (likely the original version of the music later re-done with the inserts or whatever happened). On top of that, certain tracks are film/alternate performances compared to the album version. While I actually prefer the album takes over them because they are better performances, it is still nice to finally have those, especially since the album tracks are still on this release and still sound great.

So yeah, still a lot to praise for this release. If there are still other detractors beyond missing music, it would be the pointlessness of some of the bonus tracks. Two of them are exactly the same tracks as the album ones included later on the very same CD. The mixing doesn't even sound too different on them to me, which makes it just feel that much more redundant. Mixing is probably the other minor issue. Most of the music sounds pretty stellar, but some tracks like "Flight in the Storm" just has such a flat mix to me compared to how lively it sounds on the album. I believe this may also be a alternate performance (possibly the film version), which may be why. For example, the organ feels like it is shoved behind all of the other instruments and can barely be heard well at all; whereas on the album version it is almost front and center to a very scary effect. Luckily, again, the OST version is still here, but it can't be just merely moved in programming because the main score version has the previously unreleased music "Headphones" tacked onto the beginning, so one would have to make an edit to change things around properly. The same goes for the End Credits track, which for whatever reason isn't labeled as unreleased when that entire track is (film version), it just isn't mixed in nearly as an engaging way.

Well, those are my thoughts on it anyway. It is a flawed release, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Anyone who is not a huge fan or as familiar with the film as I am will fall in love with this release even more. And given how long it has been out of print, just being able to get this at all right now is a huge service to fans, especially with the beautiful liner notes and-- hey! Someone scribbled all over mine! I better send it back!

Necro-ing this post.

If I understand correctly, the Bay Cities CD is still worth having in addition to the Intrada?  Do you prefer the mixing on the Bay Cities to that of the OST presentation on the Intrada?  Or is it just a matter of "Headphones" cue edited and the End Credits?

Well tracks 10-21 on CD 2 of Intrada's release actually features the entire contents of the Bay Cities Album. From what I recall, the album version as presented on CD 2 is exactly the same mixing and sound quality as it is on the Bay Cities Album. So there's really no need to own that version if you have Intrada's.

But it is correct that the mixing of the Album is different than the "complete" version Intrada produced for CD 1 and tracks 1-9 on CD 2. And for certain tracks at least, I do prefer the Album mixing. However, over the years I think I have gotten used to Intrada's mix? Their release still has issues though. Despite what they claimed at the time, it IS missing some music, or at least film alternates. Whether the alternates were created editorially or not, maybe we'll never know, but I'd love to hear the film version of "Mombi's Awake" for example. There's definitely some differences going on in the film, there.