What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Inherent Vice

This is an awfully good score by Johnny Greenwood. I'm surprised it has slipped a bit under the radar. The songs are great too

Second best of the year!

We agree on the best and second best scores of the year, GP

You love Interstellar that much too? Have you listened to The Two Faces Of January, Romao? I recall you being a fairly big Iglesias fan.

It's my favorite Zimmer score, I really think he did something quite special.

Loved The Two Faces of January, Koray, thank you for the heads-up :thumbup:

Interstellar is generic hogwash. Listenable but it sounds like someone composed it while crossing the street.

It wasn't that the music was bad. It was just that the music was overpowering in some places, sometimes during a key action sequence. Looks like Meghan Trainor wasn't the only one who was all about that bass.

Interstellar is generic hogwash. Listenable but it sounds like someone composed it while crossing the street.

It wasn't that the music was bad. It was just that the music was overpowering in some places, sometimes during a key action sequence. Looks like Meghan Trainor wasn't the only one who was all about that bass.

That was the point.

Well that's correct Stefan. The aim was to create an engrossing, and yes, sometimes overbearing cinematic experience. That's what the movie theater is for! When Cooper is traveling into the black hole, right before the cut back to Earth... that's damn intense! Great feeling.

So indeed, shut up! Refer to all of my posts in the Interstellar threads if you need to be corrected on anything.

Yup, it's a fantastic score that got a fantastic release. I still listen to it regularly!

This reminded me to order a copy. Varese has it back in stock!

Definitely get it you won't regret it.

I agree.

After starting the day off once again driving by a Jurassic Park Ford Explorer, I realized I didn't have Jurassic Park programmed into today's playlist. I did, however, have The Lost World! Either way, you win. So I listened to, in the following order: Attack of the Clones, The Lost World, Revenge of the Sith, Temple of Doom and currently The Phantom Menace (this is getting out of hand...now there are three of them!). Man, Williams' Godlike percussive music in Temple of Doom. Is this the precursor to the simply badass percussion we would later enjoy in such scores as The Lost World and the Prequels?

CloseEncounters_ofthe_Third_Kind(1977).J

CE3K (Williams)

For me, it quite simply doesn't get better than this !!!

One of my top three by the maestro and the 1998 Arista is a hell of an album (track list, sound quality, booklet and packaging)

In a word: PERFECT.

I need to listen to that one...

qvbii.jpg

QB VII (Goldsmith)

A much more classical sounding work from Jerry. Not music I grew up with and not the sound of his I grew up with (80s & 90s). Back in the day I wouldn't have picked it up at all.

I actually need to be in the right mood to hear why others are raving about it. I'm starting to appreciate this one a little more. It's complex lyricism is starting to shine through.

It helps that the performances are downright excellent and one can hear the appreciation of the entire work by the many contributors of this recording.

In a couple of years time (if I'm still alive) this score may be getting full marks, but not yet.

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun by Christopher Lennertz

The Missing by James Horner

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Concord)

JFK

Amazing Stories: The Mission

SpaceCamp

Charles Gerhardt Star Wars/Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition

Revenge of the Sith expanded score

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams: It has been a while since I have listened to this and it sounds better than ever. 2005 was truly a red letter year for JW and Geisha is still perhaps the most evocative of those 4 wonderful scores from that year. Here Williams obviously worked hard on the whole idea of combining the Western orchestra with the Japanese Instruments and stylings and it works brilliantly and he balances both aspects very well. The score envelops you in a world of its own which does have those trademark Williams moments but for the most part explores very beautiful and interesting new avenues. The emotional pull of the score is subtle and the composer avoids too schmaltzy histrionics although the score is allowed to shine with the visuals in a most complementary way. There is a lot of emotion in the performances of the soloists and all the deeper drama seems to be happening underneath the surface, only to be released at key moments. Confluence finally releases all the long held back emotions with highly effective orchestral swell and combines the themes of Chiyo and Sayuri, the two musical sides of the same person, into one fulfilling coda. The album at 60 minutes is a generous one but I could certainly listen to more of this excellent music.

Williams last truly great score I believe.

What about Lincoln?

I listened to The Patriot, War Horse, Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary and Charles Gerhardt Empire Strikes Back.

I'm currently listening to Revenge of the Sith. I get so fired up when Anakin turns to the dark side. Williams' villainous Sith music in the last 45 minutes is great.

All of Revenge of the Sith is great!

Inherent Vice

This is an awfully good score by Johnny Greenwood. I'm surprised it has slipped a bit under the radar. The songs are great too

Second best of the year!

Nope - best of the year!

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Concord)

JFK

Amazing Stories: The Mission

SpaceCamp

Charles Gerhardt Star Wars/Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition

Revenge of the Sith expanded score

Out of that list I listend to only one of those this week.

PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED - John bary

Typical Barry string goo, mostly in very measured tempi. It's nice to listen to (especially the nod to 50's Percy Faith-stuff like the little memory waltz linked above) but not awfully consequential either way.

I’m not as good at giving reviews as others up here, but here goes…. I’m a casual viewer of the show. And Source Code got me into Bacon’s music. Bates Motel is an ambient score that not only explores (as does the show itself) the psychology of a young Norman Bates and his unorthodox relationship with his mother but also the mystery behind certain characters and events of White Pine Bay that crosses Norma and Norman’s path. Bacon came up with plenty of motifs that either depicts Norma, Norman , the mother and son bond between Norma and Norman, the romance between Norman and Bradley, the brotherly bond between Dylan and Norman, the mysterious town of White Pine Bay, etc. It has it share of bleak, macabre, and even tender moments. Fans of the show and Bacon should check it out.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams: Despite the film being certainly the weakest of the four the score continues to be an engrossing experience despite its somewhat gloomy atmosphere. I really wish Williams would do an official recording of Irina's theme and Marion's theme concert versions someday as the ones he has performed in numerous concerts are thoroughly ravishing, with the former exhibiting a truly gorgeous love letter to the femme fatale music of the film noirs channeled through classic Williams style and the latter beautifully elaborating on the original theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark and giving it a sumptuous old fashioned Golden Age treatment.

Yeah. And as a fan of film noir all the Irina stuff is really great and the Crystal Skull theme has some really fantastic development thoughout and I am not complaining about Mutt's theme either.

Despite a few highlights its a really dull score overall, though competely written.

Irina's theme doesn't actually fit the character at all.

I agree with you for the most part but there are enough highlights to pull it into a safe 4/5 range for me.