John Powell's PAN (2015)

Not Mr. Big

WHAT THE HECK???

Wow. That came out of nowhere.

Really odd, given that Marianelli's has been Wright's composer on every film (minus Hanna).

I'm bummed we won't get to hear Marianelli's take on the film, which I'm sure would have been great, but Powell is a nice replacement nonetheless. It could have been worse!

Hope not! John Powell would be great but he ain't Dario Marianelli!

That could have been worse! Much worse!

That's a shame. I like Powell, but I'd have liked to have seen Marianelli write a more adventurous, non-costume drama score for a change.

Agreed.

Marianelli has this more traditional background in composition. There are quite a few great orchestral scores around these days... but not too many symphonic.

Karol

Hope not! John Powell would be great but he ain't Dario Marianelli!

That could have been worse! Much worse!

Yeah, like when Horner was booted off of Ender's Game and Steven Jablonsky took over. :folder:

Still looking forward to Powell, but was really looking forward to Marianelli's take. As croc said, we kinda know what to expect from Powell (though hopefully we don't.)

Wait....is this confirmed?!

I hope not! I like you Powell, but hands off! We need to hear Marianelli's European sensibilities tackle a full scale fantasy adventure like this.

Well, it just seems that way since Marianelli was confirmed first and now suddenly it's Powell's name that's appearing. Also this may not mean anything, but I notice that even though it's the same artwork, Marianelli's poster just says "Coming Soon" while Powell has the actual release date on his, so it may be more current.

Nothing else shows up on Google about Powell and the film.

The most recent mention of the composer I could find was this:

http://news.moviefone.com/2015/04/14/pan-set-interview/

It was published today, where he talks about his experience on the set of the film. The article mentions Marianelli as a returning composer. Though I'm not sure if that really means anything.

Hmm interesting. Hope we can get a straight answer on this soon either way. The poster EW linked to also has Marianelli on the bottom and the July 24th date so there goes my theory. The Powell poster also has William Hoy listed as a second editor and he's not listed on IMDb and has no previous association with Wright (while Paul Tuthill, the other editor, does.) Very odd...

Maybe someone should try tweeting the Pan twitter page: https://twitter.com/pan. Got no answers there either...they retweeted a Hugh Jackman tweet of the poster with Powell's name, but also linked to a Rotten Tomatoes article that has the Marianelli poster...

EDIT: The poster from the official Pan site lists Marianelli: http://www.panmovie.com/post/116398491260/every-legend-has-a-beginning-from-the-studio-that

Well, it just seems that way since Marianelli was confirmed first and now suddenly it's Powell's name that's appearing. Also this may not mean anything, but I notice that even though it's the same artwork, Marianelli's poster just says "Coming Soon" while Powell has the actual release date on his, so it may be more current.

Well this version shows Marianelli... and it was published today:

17147089401_124e2f5bcf_o.jpg

Karol

He said that Wright was looking something more contemporary for this film and he didn't want to force himself into doing something he's not that into. That's pretty much exactly what he said.

Karol

Ford's been wrong before.

But, I can't think of any other reason they'd make a new poster, ya know?

But, I can't think of any other reason they'd make a new poster, ya know?

Well, we have two versions of the same poster: one with Marianelli's name on it, and one with Powell's name. One of them is obviously wrong. I guess it all comes down to which version was released last.

Either:

a) the guy who did the poster was informed too late that the composer had changed, and first did the Marianelli poster, then updated it with Powell's name.

or

b) the guy who did the poster for some reason put Powell's name by mistake, and then did a new version with Marianelli's name.

9rba2RQ.jpg

pan-jrposter-small.jpg

Whoever was doing the poster may have screwed up based on any rumours maybe?

I mean why go through the trouble of drawing Powell out of his semi-hiatus when you have a perfectly accomplished Academy Award winning composer who's been working on almost all of Wright's films already?

Well Pan opens on July 24, so its possible Marianelli's score had already been recorded and Wright didn't like it. Who knows.

Has anybody seen the Powell poster sourced from anywhere other than Rope of Sillicon? Seems weird that they would get the most current poster when IMDb and the official website both still list Marianelli. But like Jay said, why would they even make another poster in the first place when Marianelli's already been attached to the project?

I was looking forward to Marianelli expanding on his The Boxtrolls (the closest thing in his repertoire). There are several pieces in that score that were promising a great take on adventurous music for a children film:

Karol

Yeah, The Boxtrolls has some really great writing in there. The only thing it lacking in that score is the thematic material.

Brothers Grimm also has some great fantasy writing in the vein of what one might like to hear for a Pan film.

Yes! That was his first big score.

I was always wondering what TGP and Sharky might think of Marianelli. Is he one of the good guys? Or just another fake messiah?

Karol