What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester.

After reading the absolutely fantastic The Stars, My Destination, I must say Bester has become one of my favorite writers.

The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere by Jürgen Habermas.

I can't believe I had to write a 3500 word essay on this bullshit.

Oh come on, you know you liked it on some level.

I admit that the idea of the bourgeois public sphere as a counter-public to the state is a fascinating idea, and it has phenomenal implications to institutions such as APEC on a global scale, but I felt it was a theoretical concept that was much better explained by Nancy Fraser and Brian McNair, who critiqued the concept and added their own historical comparisons post-1962.

Read Painting with Light, by John Alton, fantastic book on cinematography.

A Confederacy of Dunces, terrific read, weak ending.

Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut. Of course, I loved it.

And I am currently reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind, about the 'New Hollywood' of the 70's. Almost through- Heaven's Gate just went into production.

Well, that's over the last six weeks or so. I'm not Superman. And I don't watch nearly enough movies. I'm sure that the vast, vast, vast majority of the time I've spent watching movies were movies I'd seen before. I gotta watch more new stuff (new to me, that is. Not more 2007 films).

I recently read Monster by Frank Peretti, followed by The Visitation by Frank Peretti, and I am currently half way through House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. All very good books.

• 6 months later...
We must join with it, Mark. It would be wise, my friend.

Tell me, "friend", when did Marian the White abandon reason for madness?

Last book I read was The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. I'm currently reading Story by Robert McKee.

Maybe I should eat at McDonalds.

I'm currently reading Story by Robert McKee.

My dad read that, it's probably one of his favorite books.

I bought Story such a long time ago, don't think I actually read all of it.

Currently making my way through Michael Chabon's Maps and Legends, an excellent collection of essays from him, and Syd Field's book on screenwriting

Last book I read was Fragile Things, a collection of Neil Gaiman short stories. Gaiman rules.

I am currently reading William Goldman's Adventures in the screen trade.

The last book I read cover to cover was the complete tome of Philip Pullman's His "Dark Materials Trilogy," $12 from Walmart. I was not impressed.

Currently reading both "No Country for Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy and "Torpedo Junction" by Homer Hickam.

Next on the coffee table lineup is "Children of Hurin."

I am currently reading William Goldman's Adventures in the screen trade.

Pick up his follow-up book when you're done. I really enjoyed his thoughts on the production of Ghost and the Darkness

• 1 month later...

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Didn't enjoy it as much as its predecessor or the first time I read it. Adams' writing style, while full of its own fun little quirks, can get very tiring.

The first time I read the trilogy, I liked the books better and better until about the middle of the third one, when I thought it went downhill. During my second read, the second half of the trilogy improved a lot, and I actually thought the first one was the most uneven (or unfocused) part.

When you say trilogy, are you referring to the first three books, or the whole thing?

I'm re-reading the whole thing while on vacation, but I'm taking a little break between each part.

I'm reading Siddhartha ~ Herman Hesse

I did not like this one.

The books I read in the past year were Shakespeare's Hamlet, Dante's Inferno, Camus' The Stranger, and Hesse's Siddhartha.

The first 2, which were the more recent, are genius works, obviously. I didn't enjoy the last 2 so much.

I finished SW RC: True colors. at first i was not much interested in these books but the events happening make me wait for the next novel. Cant wait to read Order 66 ;)

I'm going to start NEXT, the only Crichton novel i have yet to read. i hope i like it as his other books.

When you say trilogy, are you referring to the first three books, or the whole thing?

To the increasingly inaccurately named trilogy of five, of course. ;)

Oh, and when you're done, I strongly recommend the Dirk Gently novels. The first one is the most mindboggling example of diverging story lines perfectly coming together at the last moment I know. When I first read it, I'd pretty much given up hope that any of this was going to make any sense by the time I reached the final 15 pages or so.

Darn. No I feel like reading them again myself. And I'm still stuck somewhere in Skeleton Crew.

• 3 months later...

Recently I've restudied Oedipus Rex and Hamlet. Not necessarily re-read them, but skimmed through them to just to remember the important stuff. The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams, and Master Harold... and the boys by Athol Fugard.

I can't find book 6, I misplaced it. And I was on a role re-reading them in order!

Now I'm on Murder on the Orient Express for like the 6th time.

I can't find book 6, I misplaced it. And I was on a role re-reading them in order!

I'll read it to you: six hundred pages of teenage drama, then Snape kills Dumbledore.

Ray Harryhausen - Master of the Majicks! - Vol 2.

I'm a big stop motion animation fan so this book (in my mind) is like the bible on Ray Harryhausen.

Vol 2 is the first book of a 3 volume set that provides an in depth and detailed coverage of Harryhausen's career/biography. Volume II features films from Mighty Joe Young to the 7th Voyage Of Sinbad. The books are being released much like Star Wars, the best volume is issued first with Volume 3 to come next and Volume I to come last. :lol: Yes there will be 3 volumes.

The coverage is more extensive than the 2 previously released Harryhausen books; An Animated Life and The Art Of Ray Harryhausen, that Mr. Harryhausen co-authored. Those were more of a personal recollection.

This one is done seperately, with the cooperation of Ray, and has a wealth of behind the scenes pictures, lobby card photos and orchestral sketches of the music provided for the films.

I cannot wait for the next two books.

I recently read Monster by Frank Peretti,

I started that book last year and haven't finished it yet. :lol:

I've read it before, this is my second read. So I should have said "re-reading" as my last read was about four years ago.

I do find that I understand it a lot more this time. That might be a result of having read other snippets of information from other sources, and just catching more the second time around. I'd like to then read the other 5 books and then read the three prequel books I bought.

I've read it before, this is my second read. So I should have said "re-reading" as my last read was about four years ago.

I do find that I understand it a lot more this time. That might be a result of having read other snippets of information from other sources, and just catching more the second time around. I'd like to then read the other 5 books and then read the three prequel books I bought.

Do not under any circumstances read the prequels. Trust me on this.

Well, I bought them. I paid $30 on eBay for ten books, which was a lot better than paying $80 for the same set new at a bookstore.

While I do think that Herbert Jr. is milking his father's name and series for every last drop, a la Chris Tolkien, I'll make that opinion after I read them. I figure it'll take me months to get through the six classic books, because FarCry 2 and Fallout 3 come out soon. Goodbye free time.