The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

Great news! I was hoping for more mainstream Shore scores to look forwards to, rather than the usual dark Cronenberg films.

I am sure that Shore can somehow find the murky undercurrent of child drug use and "chasing the dragon" in this story. The dragon ain't called Puff without a reason. ;)

But seriously a new Shore score is always welcome. And this might turn out to be something very interesting.

I only just read the article and noticed it's being shot in New Zealand! Lets hope Shore gets as much inspiration from the film as he did from LOTR and creates another brilliant score.

But then, he composed a children score known as The Last Mimzy. And that didn't exactly set the world on fire...

Karol

I only just read the article and noticed it's being shot in New Zealand! Lets hope Shore gets as much inspiration from the film as he did from LOTR and creates another brilliant score.

But then, he composed a children score known as The Last Mimzy. And that didn't exactly set the world on fire...

Karol

Hey I bought that album on discount and have listened to it 5 times! Totally worth it for 5€s!

It's probably better than most people would say, to be honest.

Karol

Very subdued actually. Surprisingly so. Perhaps after LotR expectations were for something bigger, more colorful and bolder.

It's all rather subdued and the thematic material is a bit clunky, for want of a better word. The last two tracks (The Tear and Through the Looking Glass) are rather good and would make a great concert suite.

The song is terrible.

It's all rather subdued and the thematic material is a bit clunky, for want of a better word. The last two tracks (The Tear and Through the Looking Glass) are rather good and would make a great concert suite.

The song is terrible.

Yes the song is indeed quite terrible.

Maybe Howard decided he can't write for male performers and opted out of providing songs for The Hobbit? ;)

Karol

:lol:

The Festival is cancelled due to political reasons.

Howard Shore is not coming to Spain in July.

There were supposed to be two evenings of Shore's music. One Tolkien-related, one not.

Karol

Oh bugger!

Unfortunate news, but it makes my July less complicated. I'm somewhat astonished that something like this can be derailed a little over a month before it's due to happen.

• 3 months later...

I can't just go running off into the blue (Chicago)! I am a Incanus of Helsinki! I don't have riches to travel willy nilly abroad like that!

You are also a Mithrandir! Did you know that your Great-Great-Great-Great Uncle Penguinrider Mithrandir was so rich he could ask any composer to come to his home and give him a private concert?

Sorry BB, you've got the wrong Mithrandir.

Hey folks,

Haven't been round here for a long time, but thought I'd pop my head up to alert you to this wonderful find. The second movement from Lang Lang's recording of Shore's piano concerto "Ruin and Memory" is available in great quality from this site http://www.hd-hall.com/music/detail?id=144#?and it's absolutely gorgeous. A nice teaser for the full release which will hopefully see the light of day sometime! Enjoy!

In fact - the whole album, containing Shore's concerto paired with Rachmaninov's 2nd, is available to download from that site for the princely sum of about £1.50. It's a slightly confusing system, you can purchase two lots of 700mb credit (6.99 yuan each) which will give you enough "surplus flow" to download the album. I'm downloading now, but it's wretchedly slow. 6 hours remaining!

Here's the link to the album http://www.hd-hall.com/music/detail/?id=35

Translating every page as you go along:

1. Click Download Album

2. Create an account

3. login and click download album

4. You will be told you have insufficient allowance

5. Click buy a new package

6. Buy the Experience Pack for 6.99 Yuan (gives you 700 mb)

7. Repeat step 6.

8. Now you have enough storage to download the album.

9. Enjoy!

Speaking of legitimate, did they ever succeed rooting out those "fake" The Lord of the Rings symphony concerts that were touring Europe some time ago with the questionable arrangements of the music?

Please bear in mind this is only half the concerto and is of questionable legitimacy.

Half the concerto? It's got all 3 movements, 28 minutes duration. It's a long time since I've looked at the score and don't have it to hand, but I'm pretty sure it's all there. I'm also pretty sure it's the same recording as was featured in the "Composer's Dream" documentary.

What do you mean exactly?

Closing these things down is a tricky business. I still think that Howard Shore should attend one of the concerts, leap on stage and expose the 'fake Howard' that they wheel out at these things.

Please bear in mind this is only half the concerto and is of questionable legitimacy.

Half the concerto? It's got all 3 movements, 28 minutes duration. It's a long time since I've looked at the score and don't have it to hand, but I'm pretty sure it's all there. I'm also pretty sure it's the same recording as was featured in the "Composer's Dream" documentary.

What do you mean exactly?

Sorry, you said second movement in your original post - I hadn't fully digested everything!

In all honesty, that Rachmaninov-esque second movement didn't impress me much at first listen, it seems to wander in a lyrical ear-pleasing land without any direction. Of course I will save any judgement for when I have listened to the entire concerto.

Closing these things down is a tricky business. I still think that Howard Shore should attend one of the concerts, leap on stage and expose the 'fake Howard' that they wheel out at these things.

They have a fake Howard?!!! :o

1029385_1375507632582_500_211.jpg

I think the development of the main motif from the first movement is great in the second movement, which has some exquisitely beautiful writing throughout. My first impression is that the third movement is the weakest, but I need to give it a few more listens.

I'd like to hear this conducted by Ludwig Wicki or Shore himself.