Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises

Jay

Forgive me my ignorance oh master of Zimmer-Batman lore. I have not been following this last entry to the saga with much enthusiasm.

It's Zimmer doing his thing, as much as he did in the two previous scores, sticking to his own style and sound. Would really people expected something else?

Nah.

It doesn't even sound entertaining like the previous two. I was expecting something like these with a bit more of lyricism.

But most of these samples sound like a random noise. daaaaAAAaaada bum daaaa with beats here and there.

I agree that the theme in "Mind If I Cut In?" is definitely the most promising. It's got Zimmer actually doing something that isn't one of a small handful of shades of moodiness. Melodic chromaticism, and a playful tone?

I do also kind of like "The Fire Rises," even if only in the context of the series. Don't get me wrong; none of this is up to par of what the series really could have had musically. The cast of characters, themes, and dramatic structures of the trilogy are really a breeding ground for a truly rich musical tapestry to elevate these films considerably. But compared to the monochromatic nature of the previous two, these little things--even the use of violins in "Imagine the Fire"--count for something, at least in my book.

Well I think these samples prove us fans who have been hoping for Zimmer's redemption with this score wrong. Catwoman's theme sounds interesting, but so far this score sounds worse than the previous too...so much for the rule of 3 :(

They spelled Necessary wrong

:lol: It's Necessary, not Nece-ssary or Ne-cessary or Necassary!

The OST is only 51 minutes long, actually. We've heard 15% of it.

I was referring to the complete score, which is surely over an hour long. What if people judged Prometheus based on the prologue and opening scene with David? ;)

Oh, I'm sure the complete score is well over 2 hours long. The movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes

I'm a bit torn over the samples. I like the light, mischievous tone for Catwoman in "Mind if I Butt In?" -- but some of it is more re-arrangements of BB and TDK cues. Although I do like the re-arrangement of the last track...

Hopefully the full score will be better.

I don't know why anyone would expect to hear anything radically different after two scores of relatively the same sound. A lot of what we're hearing is a combination of ideas from the scores, but I was fully prepared for it to be that. So I'm not disappointed, and I'm pleasantly surprised to detect uniqueness in some of the Bane material and especially the Catwoman track ("Mind If I Cut In?" is definitely the best track based on the samples).

I too am quite underwhelmed. That interview where Zimmer said that his head was teeming with ideas for this movie was all rubbish, then. It's basically the scores from the previous 2 plus the addition of Catwoman + Bane themes. And an overemphasis on the "Escalation" theme from TDK. The disappointment from the samples has actually worked in my favour; I am now NOT over-hyped for this movie! I am free from the bonds of hype! But still, let's hope that the rest of the score does something new and interesting.

I heard he gutted a cat again and recorded it along with the sounds of chris and riahanna brown fighting or having sex or both.

it's nice to hear that he's channeling his inner Georgio Moroder.

The sheer ignorance in this thread is overwhelming.

Easy explanation:

Ignorance is bliss :D

Now now do you really expect people at JWFan wouldn't throw a few jokes about Zimmer when his new score comes out. As incredible as it sounds some people are not just that into Zimmer around here and if the sound clips indicate pretty clearly that it is the same style of music (not surprising or unexpected) as he has delivered for the previous two installments of this Batman series, then it can be expected that some of us are not exactly jumping with anticipation.

If by some miracle old Hans succeeds converting me to his sound with the rest of the material in the film and on the soundtrack album then I am honestly amazed and impressed.

I'm about 99% sure that Ra's Al Ghul's theme is reused in track 6 :D

I could easily ask as a joke "Ra's Al Ghul had a theme?" but I won't because I am too classy a fellow to go for BloodBoal style tactics.

So what? Did you listen to those samples and found ANYTHING that was more than tired rehash of older stuff? There sure wasn't anything rivalling the joker music from the last film.

So what? Did you listen to those samples and found ANYTHING that was more than tired rehash of older stuff? There sure wasn't anything rivalling the joker music from the last film.

Ah, now I remember the Joker music was great in the film.

The chant and the anvil in the trailers was exciting. I wonder if that will be to Bane what the different Joker motifs were to the Joker.

There's nothing cool like that in the samples though.

Now now do you really expect people at JWFan wouldn't throw a few jokes about Zimmer when his new score comes out. As incredible as it sounds some people are not just that into Zimmer around here and if the sound clips indicate pretty clearly that it is the same style of music (not surprising or unexpected) as he has delivered for the previous two installments of this Batman series, then it can be expected that some of us are not exactly jumping with anticipation.

If by some miracle old Hans succeeds converting me to his sound with the rest of the material in the film and on the soundtrack album then I am honestly amazed and impressed.

Then why keep listening? I hate Tyler Bates, but I don't go around listening to every one of his new scores exclaiming how terrible I think it is. This isn't even the score on album or in film, but samples. A mere 7 minutes of out of context music.

No one here is qualified to make that statement.

Man John Williams is using Hedwig's theme again in that sample for Prisoner Of Azkaban, what a tired old hack who rehashes older material from a FRANCHISE.

Then why keep listening?

I have hopes that Zimmer will one day change his wicked ways and return to the light. ;)

Then why keep listening? I hate Tyler Bates, but I don't go around listening to every one of his new scores exclaiming how terrible I think it is.

I have to listen to it to know if I like it. I don't have psychic powers.

Then why keep listening?

I have hopes that Zimmer will one day change his wicked ways and return to the light. ;)

Ah, at least you acknowledge that he was once good ;)

Then why keep listening? I hate Tyler Bates, but I don't go around listening to every one of his new scores exclaiming how terrible I think it is.

There's always a point of no return. If you don't like someone's style, what makes you think you'll like it later on, especially in a franchise situation like this?

There's always a point of no return. If you don't like someone's style, what makes you think you'll like it later on, especially in a franchise situation like this?

No you're getting me wrong here. I like Zimmer sometimes. That's why I keep listening to it. I've defended his work on Batman sometimes, even if it's not like I would prefer it to be. I just find these samples boring, and I'm afraid the rest the score could be more or less like this. Why? Lack of enthusiasm?

True. And it should be formed by a xylophonist, a ukulele player, a bongo drummer and a Tibetan throat singer to give it sweet contrast.

Come on, are you guys really that irritated over hearing 7 1/2 minutes of music...from a 52 minute score album? :l

Really, has any score, any, especially a Zimmer score, ever radically changed its level of appeal in full form as opposed to 30 second samples?The full Dark Knight sessions are a waste of time.