Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

All Varese titles goes up for sale on iTunes 1-3 weeks before the physical CD release date. I can't imagine STID will be any different.

Why? Super 8 was on iTunes before the release date, so was the last couple LOST seasons, the Fringe sets, MI4, Let Me In, etc etc!

Just back from a midnight screening :)

The movie is a good spectacle with a manacing performance from Benedict Cumberbatch. It doesn't have the charm of the first movie and suffers because of it, although there is plenty of funny moments, some of them seem forced. The opening on the native planet is excellent as is the entire extended third act. The middle section lacks focus and is occasionally plodding, however. I would still recommend though, and it is enjoyable. There is a space jump scene (Ship To Ship) which is really tense and exciting.

There are a lot of references to the original series which are actually major events in the movie and not just subtle nods. You'll know what I mean when you see it. I actually envied people who are new to Star Trek because they are unburdened with that knowledge and can just enjoy watching the story unfolding before them.

Gia's score features some amazing cues. Having not listened to with the OST or its clips yet, I can't comment on possible unreleased music. However, judging by the track times, I suspect there are significant portions of the cues from the opening native island scene missing on album. This is a pity because it features an amazing forceful rendition of the cadet theme (but that might be on the OST).

I also noticed an awesome burst of Spock's theme in full action mode followed soon after by John Harrison's theme in similar vain. If it is on the OST, it will be in the San Fran Hustle track. I suspect that the holy grail cues that aren't on the OST will be renditions of existing themes, but some of those are really cool.

I didn't stay till the end of the credits but Gia didn't compose a suite this time. After the performce of the old and new themes, we hear a repeat of the London piano cue. I don't know what comes next because I left.

That's all I can recall at the moment. Looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow, and again after I listen to the OST.

Yeah, some nice variations on Spock theme and John Harrison's theme, a bit more Klingon theme. Oh and there is also that other Vulcan theme from the previous film that makes an appearance.

Strangely enough, the film opens the same way soundtrack album does. Unlike the IMAX preview. The other sequence happens later.

Karol

Actually, looking at the track titles, the opening action scene is divided into several tracks so we might have all the music from the opening afterall.

There is a cool extended version of this theme used prominently in one early sequence. Quite similar to the suite. It does really work in the film, I have to admit.

Karol

Listening to a few minutes worth of samples posted above, I'm already bored of that drab one-trick-pony of a main theme. It just doesn't go anywhere, convey anything or evoke exhilaration as it's clearly supposed to. Ah well.

Sooo....

I think Ship To Ship is the best track of the WQXR stuff.

It's a cool scene as well.

Karol

Must have been inspiring.. The track is the only one where I can't guess or fill in the next note even after a couple of listens. And that's a feeling I don't get as often with music these days.

Listening to a few minutes worth of samples posted above, I'm already bored of that drab one-trick-pony of a main theme. It just doesn't go anywhere, convey anything or evoke exhilaration as it's clearly supposed to. Ah well.

Spot on Quint. I've gotten really tired of the theme and its many variations. It really is that "one-trick-pony" kind of theme.

I want to like Giacchino, I really do, but his music just feels empty to me. Underscore like this, it's just notes. It's pretty frustrating.

That isn't always the case with me, but a lot of what I've heard from this new score gives me the same feeling.

Sooo....

I think Ship To Ship is the best track of the WQXR stuff.

It's a cool scene as well.

Karol

Must have been inspiring.. The track is the only one where I can't guess or fill in the next note even after a couple of listens. And that's a feeling I don't get as often with music these days.

Really? Seems kind of predictable to me... :P

Just signed up here, I'm the guy who uploaded all these WQXR tracks onto YouTube. :)
Found two more, from that German radio-zoom.de broadcast from last Friday that no-one seemingly managed to get a recording of. (but some Polish guy on a Polish forum ripped these two tracks) Same quality (128k).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTRXNZVHAeA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Sjh24A2dU

Hope I can find more...want to hear the rest especially after seeing the film today!

Saw the film today. Some notes

1. The main theme is used very often and has many grand statements. It was supposed to be Kirik's theme but is now a general purpose main theme, applied to the Enterprise, Kirk as well as any other heroic act by any chaarcter apart from Spock.

2. Spock's theme (Vulcan theme) is used very often for stuff concerning him. An action variant for the finale is striking.

3. Harrison's theme also gets its moment to shine.

4. The London calling stuff is also prominently featured.

5. The score is given a lot of room to shine, many moments the score is loud and can always be clearly heard. J.J. clearly valued Giacchino's contributions and did not bury the score under sound effects.

6. The End Credits piece is the Alexander Courage theme and not the Giacchino theme.

Overall I liked it. A nice fully orchestral and tuneful/medlodic score. Almost an aberration these days rather than the norm.

Giacchino rocks!

Just signed up here, I'm the guy who uploaded all these WQXR tracks onto YouTube. :)

Found two more, from that German radio-zoom.de broadcast from last Friday that no-one seemingly managed to get a recording of. (but some Polish guy on a Polish forum ripped these two tracks) Same quality (128k).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTRXNZVHAeA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Sjh24A2dU

Hope I can find more...want to hear the rest especially after seeing the film today!

Thank you man! Really!

Warp Core Values make me cry! Amazing track!

As am I. A lot of it just sounds like more variations of the main theme. It seems like it might be more repetitive than ever!

By repetitive I meant overused, but I believe you knew what I was getting at.... ;)

One of the last score's weaknesses was that the theme showed up in every single cue, which I found tiring because it's not a very malleable tune. I was hoping we'd get more variety with this new score.

By the way, when I saw the film yesterday I stayed until the end of the credits (as per the norm for me lol) but anyway the end credit suite is -

Re-recording of the Star Trek Main-on-End (Courage theme mixed with Giacchino - live performance from last night's Varese gala

)

London Calling (up to short menacing bit at the end)

Ode to Harrison (abridged heavily)

Star Trek Main Theme (full as on OST)

One thing I would've liked to hear is the radar ping that opened and closed the 09 film (epic bit at the end of the 09 credits that's not on the OST)

I hope the re-recording of the Courage theme makes up the end of Kirk Enterprises. It might be almost identical to the 09 version but it sounds SO much better! I also hope there's room in the first few tracks for the thematic material at the start of the film.

I really cant wait for the OST. I think it will be a great listen with San Fran Hustle set to be a kick ass action track especially with the action version of Spock's theme.

I knowe it's been mentioned but love the little tip of the hat at the 2:00 minute mark or so of the San Francisco track.

I knowe it's been mentioned but love the little tip of the hat at the 2:00 minute mark or so of the San Francisco track.

Uh? What? Where? Care to elaborate? Clearly I missed something.

Giacchino incorperated some of Gerald Fried's score from the original TV series episode Amok Time.

Giacchino incorperated some of Gerald Fried's score from the original TV series episode Amok Time.

Ah, right. Does anyone have a link to that part by any chance? I'm hardly familiar with that.