The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

Too many people probably expect the next Star Wars when it comes to this kind of movies' film scores, maybe not realizing how much things have changed, especially in the last 10-15 years. Hey, at least Silvestri was able to snook in a good theme in it.

I don't think anyone's expecting the next Star Wars or don't realize how much thing have changed in film music. More like we're all too aware of how much has changed in film music and are lamenting that fact.

Sure, I'm not downplaying you guys. I'm the first to be less than thrilled by the current state of Hollywood blockbuster film scoring (it's fair to be specific, imho). That being said, it seems that Silvestri's effort is a good one. It's a nice, loud, fun action score for a nice, loud, fun action/comic-book movie.

I guess I'm the only one who liked this score then?

The unpopular opinions continue.... :P

No, I like it.

The MV/RC comparisons are a bit absurd but also somewhat understandable because the score is drowned out by deafening sound effects throughout most of the film that all you can make out is a bass line. The album lets the score breathe and we hear that it's more densely textured than the film mix would have you believe.

My only criticism is that Silvestri doesn't develop his main fanfare enough. Rigid statements of the fanfare are made throughout like a stamp, but it doesn't flow as much he's done on scores like Back to the Future, Predator, Judge Dredd or The Mummy Returns.

For a superhero movie, the theme is depressingly weak. You know, not once when watching the spectacular action sequences did the score stir me, not once did I get goosebumps as the music underscored these heroic deeds - Silverstri could not muster in him a power to his music to punctuate these feats of daring-do and peril avoided. Scared of going all-out perhaps, the score was not patriotic enough, crucially - the war drums, as it were, we're absent. This is why Silverstri failed to deliver a worthy superhero score: because the score simply was not rousing.

Great Silvestri-Scores are WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT, PREDATOR 2, MUMMY RETURNS and, partly, VAN HELSING.

I listened to AVENGERS on Spotify and it's drab and tedious.

His greatest achievement remains BTTF, which is a true icon with the stature of Star Wars and E.T. Other notables for me are Predator, WFRR, The Abyss and Castaway. Even Forrest Gump was honest.

Saw the film yesterday.

Pretty enjoyable. i think the score works better in the film, or the mix has more power than on CD.

the sfx were great, but its like a transformers film, so many things happening fast that you cant get a good view of the models, and sometimes it's not perfect cgi.

I mean, the hulk is great but you dont have time so see it as well as in the other films. But at last, the hulk resembles the actor playing banner.

its a shame the hulk has no intro film like iron man, thor or capt america. the other two hulk films have more in common between them than any of them with this one.

Yup. The version of The Hulk in this film is the same as the one from 2008's "The Incredible Hulk", just played by a different actor. The 2004 Hulk film is unrelated.

I have yet to hear the score or see the film. But I'm usually a fan of Silvestri's music. But the past six or so years his scores have been pretty average. Though Beowulf was good. His action scores since GI Joe have begun getting stale. As well as seem to lack something his action scores in the 80s and 90s had, imo. Maybe Silvestri needs a break from action movies and score other genres for a little while or at least between action action movies. I'm still looking forward to his Avengers score.

Yup. The version of The Hulk in this film is the same as the one from 2008's "The Incredible Hulk", just played by a different actor. The 2004 Hulk film is unrelated.

ah...

yet 'the incredible hulk' starts were 'Hulk' ended. In south america, without really any big continuity errors between them (IIRC).

I mean...wasnt banner in the other films a doctor in medicine-biology?

yes in the avengers he seems to be a doctor in india... but he seems an expert at physics, with all the gamma-ray talk and the interest of stark to have him in his company, etc...

What he was in the comics? it makes more sense the gamma ray expert than the bio-engineering one...

ah...

yet 'the incredible hulk' starts were 'Hulk' ended. In south america, without really any big continuity errors between them (IIRC).

yes in the avengers he seems to be a doctor in india... but he seems an expert at physics, with all the gamma-ray talk and the interest of stark to have him in his company, etc...

What he was in the comics? it makes more sense the gamma ray expert than the bio-engineering one...

The South America setting is there, because they probably didn't want to completely ignore Ang Lee's film. But then again his origin (shown only in the title sequence) is different.

BTW Don't you remember this scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKFPfDNOjY

Karol

angly's version of the hulk is forgotten by me, what a bad film. even the shots from the new avengers shows that CGI still cannot make the hulk look like anything but a cartoon. It still screams FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Why is it such a bad film? Because of how Hulk looks? Because it doesn't really follow comic book movie formula?

Karol

because of the horrible direction, the visualization of the film, the casting, the visual effects(they cannot be called special).

Everything about the film is horrible. Sadly it made Nick Nolte look like a white trash homeless drunk.

The 2nd film was a massive improvement, though the ending looks like a video game.

Sorry Joe, I thought Ang Lee's was going to be as awful as I'd heard, but was pleasantly surprised by how decent it was. And the action sequence in the desert was absolutely fantastic.

CGI still cannot make the hulk look like anything but a cartoon. It still screams FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Would you kindly explain how an eleven foot tall green muscled brute, which does not exist anywhere in the fossil record, can be made to look REAL?

yeah I've noticed that the movie seems to be favored by Europeans far more than it's appreciated in the states. I'm not a Bana fan btw. He brings everything down a notch to me.

CGI still cannot make the hulk look like anything but a cartoon. It still screams FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Would you kindly explain how an eleven foot tall green muscled brute, which does not exist anywhere in the fossil record, can be made to look REAL?

perhaps the same way 12 foot tall Blue Navi succeeded perhaps?

but I reserve the right to change my mind after actually seeing the Hulk in the Avengers. It might look great. I can only hope.

In Hulk they tried to make the Hulk plausible with the bioengineering angle, as a protection against radiation, and Bruce, who I think was a biologist of sorts, was able to survive the radiation because he already had been engineered by his father or something like that (I love this idea). Also what they were doing looks a bit like some bleeding edge concepts for medicine now. :)

In The Incredible Hulk (which should be seen as a completely different adaptation) he's again developing bioengineered protection against radiation, without knowing it has final purposes for the army. Betty was the celular biologist and he tested it on himself, which created the Hulk (this time it doesn't grow bigger with anger and is more vulnerable).

It's possible that they try to make his background a sort of crossover between medicine and physics. Something like that certainly exists.

yeah I've noticed that the movie seems to be favored by Europeans far more than it's appreciated in the states. I'm not a Bana fan btw. He brings everything down a notch to me.

but I reserve the right to change my mind after actually seeing the Hulk in the Avengers. It might look great. I can only hope.

Too me he still looked cartoony. Like Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

He looks fake, but I accepted him - given the context that this is a comicbook movie.

The Nav'i looked better but I still wouldn't say they looked real. They were the best looking animated characters of all time, but that doesn't mean I could buy 7 foot tall brightly colored cat people.

The Nav'i looked better but I still wouldn't say they looked real. They were the best looking animated characters of all time, but that doesn't mean I could buy 7 foot tall brightly colored cat people.

The blue things were wheighted down by their design. I remember trying to draw a different Na'vi look that looked cooler after I saw the film. I think I got it better, but I didn't have the drawing skill to properly nail it. But if they did what I did they would have had to get rid of the love story (for the better of the film as well). :lol:

Too me he still looked cartoony. Like Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

He looks fake, but I accepted him - given the context that this is a comicbook movie.

I'm sure that if I like the movie I can get by it, afterall Spiderman looks just as fake and it was easy to accept him.

The little music I have heard of Silvestri's I really like. Haven't seen it in the film yet, which matters a great deal for me, but very happy that Joss Whedon didn't pass on him (which I think he almost did?).

Would have been cool if Marvel gave Broughton a shot at this one as a "sorry things didn't work out on Captain America, so here's another one." A bummer Broughton lost out just because Giacchino decided to walk from doing the theme.

Would have been cool if Marvel gave Broughton a shot at this one as a "sorry things didn't work out on Captain America, so here's another one." A bummer Broughton lost out just because Giacchino decided to walk from doing the theme.

What? They wanted Broughton with a theme by Giacchino?

That's weird.

angly's version of the hulk is forgotten by me, what a bad film. even the shots from the new avengers shows that CGI still cannot make the hulk look like anything but a cartoon. It still screams FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Then the Hulk is ultimately unfilmable, because there's not a human being on earth who could play the character the way it's supposed to look. Painting a muscle-guy green is just as ridiculous as cartoony CGI. If there's a third option, I just don't see it.

really capt, america should have been by giacchino. We would have gotten a good MOH score. And then he would have scored the avengers, and would have provided another cool score :(

really capt, america should have been by giacchino. We would have gotten a good MOH score. And then he would have scored the avengers, and would have provided another cool score :(

Why, they would have been a loud mess, too.

the avengers may have, being modern-direction, action man etc. but im Sure Capt america would have been as satisfiying as any MOH or SWON. Or the best COD parts.

That cannot be a commandment. God's commandments were meant to stand forever without revision.

Superman was a comic-based blockbuster with interesting music, as well as its sequels. So was Batman. And Batman Returns. And Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. Many people are fond of the X-Men scores by Kamen and Powell. and Silvestri's Captain America. Even Batman Forever was a box office smash, and had a superb action score.

Somewhere along the way, comic book movie scores lost their way, along with every other genre of film and film score. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight & Rises, Thor, the two Iron Men, the two Hulks, Avengers, etc. Sign of the times.

Sorry Joe, I thought Ang Lee's was going to be as awful as I'd heard, but was pleasantly surprised by how decent it was. And the action sequence in the desert was absolutely fantastic.

I love AngHulk :D

That cannot be a commandment. God's commandments were meant to stand forever without revision.

Superman was a comic-based blockbuster with interesting music, as well as its sequels. So was Batman. And Batman Returns. And Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. Many people are fond of the X-Men scores by Kamen and Powell. and Silvestri's Captain America. Even Batman Forever was a box office smash, and had a superb action score.

While i don't would apply the word 'interesting' to SUPERMAN (it's rousing, alright, but interesting?), you are right up until BATMAN FOREVER/BATMAN & ROBIN. Those were really the last good one, with Elfman's HULK several notches below. The rest: forget it...

While i don't would apply the word 'interesting' to SUPERMAN (it's rousing, alright, but interesting?)

It's "interesting" because it's good because it's rousing.