Score for Sum of All Fears...

hi, im new to the site *wave* and i noticed all the talk about lucas butchering the AOTC score (which he did).

Well, today i just watched Sum of All Fears (yes the one that opens in 9 days heh) and i was shocked to find the score to that flick was based DIRECTLY off the theme from Crimson Tide...

and FYI, Hans Zimmer did Tide, Jerry Goldsmith did Sum... Wierd eh?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably won't be much discussion on this thread because this is a Williams board.

Was the film you saw finished or was it temp scored? I've read reports from people who claim they heard Zimmer's Crimson Tide when they saw a rough cut.

Hmmm. Goldsmith stealing from Zimmer? Now THERE's a switch. I think I'll wait and make my own judgement.

I'm looking forward to this score/movie. I'm a big Tom Clancy fan too(though a LOT has been changed for the movie).

Well, I love both of them. But I call Jerry "The Maestro", and Williams "Johnny boy". And of course, Williams is also the maestro. It's just like "The Rocket" and "The Big Unit" :mrgreen:

In an interview Williams was putting baseball as example of composing. And Lenny (Leonard Berinstein for those who don't know) thaught conducting with baseball as example.

Hector - who loves baseball

Goldsmith is improving Zimmer's score. I didn't say that Zimmer is better. Goldsmith is second to Williams. Zimmer is in the top ten current composers, but isn't above Goldsmith.

~Conor

Take your time. If you need help, just tell me!  

~Harry

ok :)

By the way, do you know how could I put video out on the internet? I've always wanted to share some of my Boston Pops video. I wanted to put out there "Celebrate Discovery!" before it was released but never got my way.

Hector - who thinks "Celebrate Discovery!" on the CD was not performed that good.

But Ricard is in the other coast! I don't think it's doable... I should buy the stuff, but I don't have the money.

I don't think we're on the same wavelength. If you email the file to him, he is capable of putting it on the server here for you. What do you need to buy?

~Harry

I actually need to find out how to do that myself as well. I'm working on a film clip montage fo Williams pieces for a suite that I'm arranging and will conduct in November. I want to get a montage together and project it on the screen so I can conduct to the film. The thing is, that I'm stumped on how we (my crew and I) can rip stuff off of DVDs and VHS tapes and upload them into the computer so we can edit them, place streamers and punches on them, and then burn them onto a DVD.

Any suggestions?

I've always wanted to see the Boston Pops concerts as well, Hector. Try to see what you can do.

I'm actually looking forward to The Sum Of All Fears as it looks to be a great film, and I'm excited to hear Jerry's score as well. I've heard the score to Crimson Tide is great -- one of Spielberg's favorites....which is why Zimmer is head of DreamWorks music -- but I've never heard it. I should buy it.

Dan - who just came back from the beach and is quite tired, yet posting anyways

:) "Jango and Zam" from AOTC

Well, today i just watched Sum of All Fears (yes the one that opens in 9 days heh) and i was shocked to find the score to that flick was based DIRECTLY off the theme from Crimson Tide...

Wierd, and the director said that Goldsmith's score was brilliant too! :?

Ok, but the problem is, I don't know how to get it on the computer!

You need a video capture card, you should be able to find it at any good computer shop. To rip DVD's you need rip ripping software (which is illegal however) and a DVD rom drive.

Well, sadly, most directors have no clue about film scores.

Dan - one of the few who do.

:music: "Rose Is Pregnant" from The Cider House Rules (Portman)

Actually Goldsmith's score, from what little I've heard, seems to be based on his Russian Theme from Air Force One. If you go to the official website for Sum of all Fears you can listen to a snippet of the score.

SumofAllFearsMovie.com

Morn, its about terrorist blowing up a nuclear weapon at a Superbowl.

The book is much different from the film since the book was about a conglomoration of terrorists, some palestinian some east german who hope to rekindle USA/USSR tensions

Joe, who thinks the idea of terrorist striking in America to be a wild idea, no more.

You need a video capture card, you should be able to find it at any good computer shop. To rip DVD's you need rip ripping software (which is illegal however) and a DVD rom drive.

Is that expensive?

Ohh, the capture card, probably like $100 or $50 US. The DVD ripping software is free and on the web on dvd ripping sites. Illegal sites and illegal software I should add :(

I WANT IT!

Dan - who is willing to sacrifice his dignity to become a pirate

:music: "1900's Theme" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone) beautiful

As are you, no? And do you blame me?

Dan - wondering if Harry shares the same passion

:music: "Geddes/Weaver" from The Devil's Advocate (Howard)

lol

I'd NEVER be a Femenazi!!!!

Ren~who truly believes in traditional values like men opening doors for women!

:music:

hehe wow, didnt expect there to be any re-action to this, so i didnt check back.

ok, here is the deal, i dont know alot about music (like writing or reading it) only know what i like, and have a few albums from both of the composers...(and tons of JW :) )

now, as for the score... it IS possible it was a temp score BUT some of the music (mostly ... erm, dunno how you would put it but its alot of 'voicy' music) are like chants and such...similar to some of the songs on crimson tide, yet totally different, i havent heard Air Force One, so i dunno, but i did watch the film again, and in several parts the theme is totally based on crimson tides... (its not in it alot, but as TIDe is one of my fav scores, i picked up on it quickly.)

now, the end of the film, as it fades to black, and goes to credits will be the best place for you to make your comparison, and its pretty much the flat out theme from Tide.... hmm, ill put the tune up with a link when i get back from the store hehe, ill be back

sorry i cant describe the music well heh.

:roll:

Dan - who thinks Harry's cheap, Hector's a chauvinist, and sees Ren's a feminist

:music: "Crazy Alice" from The Cowboys

It's not that I'm cheap; it's that I don't want it that badly.

~Harry

OK, Harry. So you're not cheap.

Ren - yes.......I'm very much of a gentleman in that respect. Thanks to my Mommy. :)

Dan - being a momma's boy

:music: "Chateau D'If" from The Count Of Monte Cristo (Shearmur)

I was planning on signing off at 500. Why do you ask?

Dan - thinking Harry is just covering his tracks and not really caring for conversation

:music: "End Titles" from The Count Of Monte Cristo (Shearmur)