BloodBoal

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One addition I really like in the directors cut is a line Kirk has that goes something like "the only reason we're alive is because I knew more than Khan about these ships", or something like that. Should have been left in the theatrical.

I didn't know the BD release of the film is tinted blue. That's annoying.

Apparently the DC of the film is available in HD on iTunes, or at least it was for a while. That would be the ideal one to watch I guess

There were a couple of additions to the director's cuts that I didn't like...

One scene with David, Carol and some of the Regula I personnel talking about who and why would want to take Genesis and about Reliant (the "We must have order in here!" part). It was mostly David's lines for that scene since it seemed way different compared to the theatrical version.

The "That young man, he's my son!" - Kirk "Fascinating" - Spock addition, that was painful.

The extra scene between on the bridge with Saavik, Kirk and Spock when they're racing towards the Mutara Nebula (where they looped the music).

Other than that I liked the rest of the Director's Cut and actually do like it more than the theatrical edition.

Think about it. This man, Kirk, has gone, well, David's whole life not knowing he had a son. Spock's his best friend. Kirk is gushing, beaming with joy, and this is the first chance he's had to tell his best friend. My Director's Cut DVD is packed away or I'd rewatch that scene.

Director's Cut/DVD

d6sjfmF.jpg

Theatrical Cut/Blu-Ray

uY9afzF.jpg

That's a pretty jarring difference with the DVD looking significantly better than the blu. Kinda wish I hadn't bought the box set now.

The "colour" of "ST:II" has always been red, as the "colour" of "ST:III" is blue, and the "colour" of "ST:IV" is orange.

Blood, coming to the franchise with a fresh eye, your reviews are welcome, but it still doesn't stop me thinking that "ST:TMP" is a magnificent achievement, and that "ST:II" looks like a flat, cheap, 2-dimensional, made-for-TV movie, given the widescreen treatment. It's the emotional core and the bond that the 3 main characters have that is "ST:II"s real strengths.

I thought I read a while back that Paramount was considering releasing the Director's Cuts of 2 and 6 on Blu-Ray. Star Trek The Motion Picture is another story since ILM would have to go back and redo all the new effects in higher quality high enough for Blu-Ray.

I thought I read a while back that Paramount was considering releasing the Director's Cuts of 2 and 6 on Blu-Ray. Star Trek The Motion Picture is another story since ILM would have to go back and redo all the new effects in higher quality high enough for Blu-Ray.

i'm sorry. Why would ILM have to redo the SFX?

Because at the time they did them for the Director's Cut they didn't think of saving them at a high quality rate. I don't remember which rate it was but it's way to low for a Blu-Ray release.

Whoever the company used for to make the updated effects didn't save them at a high rate. They would have to go back and redo them from scratch to make it high enough for a Blu-Ray release.

All the special effects for the Director's Cut of Star Trek 1 were rendered at 480p only. They've have to be completely redone for a blu ray release.

I kept all my 2-disc ST DVDs and cherish all of them. The BD versions not only dropped a lot of extras from the earlier editions, the picture quality on most of them is like an upscaled DVD anyway.

If you have TMP on BD, you'll be amazed to see the trailer has better image quality than the main feature.

That's a pretty jarring difference with the DVD looking significantly better than the blu. Kinda wish I hadn't bought the box set now.

Here's another DVD vs. Blu comparison I stumbled upon (when looking for a comparison of The Voyage Home, actually), where the difference is even more striking:

DVD

mKHnvKf.jpg

BLU-RAY

riwwKC5.jpg

Wow. The DVD looks natural. The BD looks likes a Hobbit film

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the film on Netflix.

Ive seen it countless times, yet it never ceases to to entertain or at times move.

What I love abouit this film, and Mayer's TUC is that it was written by someone who clearly has a passion and knowledge oh history and literature,a nd isnt afraid to fill his scripts with the occasional reference. And they arent throwaway lines either. The quote from A Tale Of Two Cities has deep relevance to the story of this film.

Comapre that with the last two Star trek films, where the very highly pad writers Kurtz, Orci and Lindeloff, and indeed JJ himself only ever seem to be referencing other Hollywood films. As entertaining as those films might be, they just lack the depth and texture, of TWOK and TUC. They dont feel as layered.

That doesnt mean this film is flawless. I always wondered why Kirk was surprised when they ran into the Reliant on their way to Regula One. Since she was actually assigned to the Genesis experiment. One would imagine Starfleet would at-least have tried to contact her and ask if they had information on the status of Regula.

also, Kirk really should have raised his shields.

Meyer does wonders with his cast. In TMP Kirk was cold and unsympathetic. Here, from the moment he appears out of the blinding lights he is once again the James T. Kirk from the TV show. Full of charm and swagger. But this time older, less sure of himself. Feeling impotant by no longer havinga ship of his own to command.

I love the scene where Bones first tiptoes around him but finally just asks him "Dammit jim, what the hell's the matter with you..."

The idea that this crew is getting on a bit is a good concept. Far more effective then these same actors trying to look 15 years younger, like in TMP.

it's interesting how in Meyer;'s film Kirk is a man deeply troubled by his own mortality and how the universe is changing around him, while in the fifth film, written and directed by Shatner Kirk (attempts) to appear more youthful. Climbing mountains, wearing jeans etc...)

The key role in this film is Ricardo Montalban's performance as Khan. Reprising the character he created for TOS, but adding a whole new dimension of menace. He feels that he is a man who was wronged by Kirk. Which blinds his judgement. His thirst for revenge is palpable but Montalban never goes over the top with it. His best moments are when he goes from being quite charming to menacing and back again. In his mind it is Kirk who is the villain, not him.

Introducing Kirstie Alley as Saavik, who became a fan favorite. I actually didnt know for years the character was supposed to be half romulan. Which obviously affected the way she acted. She never did seem very Vulcan to me. It's a solid performance though. Not as strong as Catrall, who played essentially the same character, but far better then Curtis.

Meyer does an admirable job worth the look of this film if you consider it was done on a very low budget. Yes these days it looks dated. But still very acceptable. While it is obvious they they had to do a lot of cost cutting by re-using footage or (slightly) redressing sets, there really isnt a cringe-worthy shot in the film. TUC looks a lot better though, even today.

Even today it's the Trek film that for some reason cannot be avoided. In fact the last 4 films borrowed so heavily from this one that while strictly speaking they weren't remakes, they are certainly variations on the same theme.

Into Darkness does it most blatantly with a death scene that is a photo-negative copy of the very famous death scene in this film. Many fans thought that was clever. It never worked for me. despite the actors giving their all, it was just a copy...

There would be very good films in the series after TWOK, but quality wise, and just in the way it influenced and revitalized the franchise, this is still the one to beat.

Always enjoy listening to Meyer talk about Trek. He's cropped up on a documentary series here in the UK: "Tomorrow's Worlds". I recall first listening to the TWOK Director's Cut commentary and how he sounds when you first see Montalban: "Yes...that is his chest". Always intrigued after hearing he could've been involved in Nemesis what might have been.

As for TWOK, nothing can ever better it. As a kid it was all about the battle scenes, but older it's the Genesis Cave scene with Carol and Kirk or Kirk and David and all the rest.

• 2 months later...

Yea, it's definitely not a bad idea. It's more essential to watch before hand that the first film.

You know, I haven't rewatched the films recently like you have, but reading your reviews of them all, and the surrounding discussion, makes me think that one thing would have helped the franchise: Having the same actress play Saavik in all her appearances, and having her be a permanent new member of the crew in all the original films (including making her the traitor in 6). I thought she was a great addition to TWOK, the recasting in TSFS was a dissapointment, then she basically disappears in 4 and 5 when I feel it would have been nice to have her back.

She feared being typecast.

Dillard, J.M. (1994). Star Trek: "Where No Man Has Gone Before" — A History in Pictures. Pocket Books. p. 79. ISBN 0-671-51149-1.

It's a valid concern. She probably just needed to look at how prolific the regular Star Trek actors were outside of Star Trek. She was young and wanted more.