The 2014 Winter Boxoffice Thread

JoeinAR

What will be the 2014 Winter Domestic Boxoffice champion?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which film will win?

• Interstellar. Nov. 7th
    • Big Hero 6 Nov 7th
    • Dumber and Dumber To, Nov. 14
    • Mockingjay Pt. 1, Nov. 21
    • Horrible Bosses 2, Nov. 26
    • Exodus Gods and Kings, Dec. 12
    • The Hobbit, Battle of 5 Armies, Dec. 17
    • Annie, Dec 19
    • Night of the Museum, Secret of the Tomb, Dec. 19
    • The Interview, Dec. 25
    • Into the Woods, Dec. 25

Since I didn't do a summer boxoffice champion thread I thought I'd do the winter one.

I have included over 10 films, some with no chance. I've looked at Boxoffice mojo and their expectations and while I agree with some of their thoughts I don't in others.

I think the big question is will the Hobbit finish well or will it whimper to a conclusion, I expect the latter. But I've been wrong before.

I believe so. Despite its decreasing popularity, it is still the last entry of a huge franchise. It will hit the billion dollar mark.

it might do well enough internationally to make a billion but the Hobbit 2 didn't. I expect it to struggle just past 200 million in the US.

I expect Annie to be a horrendous boxoffice mistake.

Dave and I are looking forward to not watching Horrible Bosses 2.

I don't care if you guys talk about international grosses KK, but the winner will be the one that makes the most here in the US.

the Hobbit is more popular outside the country than here. Maybe the last part will be a better told story than a film of excesses.

Maybe the last part will be a better told story than a film of excesses.

I hope so Joe, but somehow I doubt that'll be the case.

well Stefan saw it enough to for each of us have seen it 7 or 8 times

is the ending of the Hobbit epic in the book?

I never read it so the film can be as epic as it wants. It looks more like Dark Souls, The Movie now , so I don't mind

I saw a trailer of Exodus that basically showed the entire film. Looks like an oddly generic film

Ive never read it either. I have it but I literally have not even opened the book. It was a gift.

Ive never read it either. I have it but I literally have not even opened the book. It was a gift.

I have it too sitting on my shelf. I was planning to read that and Divergent series but never got around

is the ending of the Hobbit epic in the book?

The ending is more epic than the beginning....

not sure that means much

I don't even remember part 1

Big Hero 6 won this weekend with 56 million.

Interstellar was a close 2nd.

I think Hunger Games 3 will make the most money in the US out of all these choices.

In 2012, Hunger Games 1 made $408 mil and Hobbit 1 made $303 mil

In 2013, Hunger Games 2 made $424 mil and Hobbit 2 made $258 mil

I think Hunger Games 3 will make even more than 2, and Hobbit 3 will make even less than 2

I don't think Mockingjay will break 400. This year has been way down. Ever one who has read the books say it's easily the weakest part. Of course cinematically that can be corrected. Still if both Mockingjay and the Hobbit can just be as good as they can be then it's a win win for audiences.

It's not like this year's the biggest hits were bad films because they weren't.

• 1 month later...

Well there is still a chance Mockingjay will beat out Guardians but it's very slim. Mighty Interstellar has ZERO chance to make its expectations.

I have watched the night of Night of the Museum films and I think it's latest sequel to capture a large audience. But I'm baffled by the plunging boxoffice numbers. Movies are still great good bad. That will always be true. But we are in an era like the 50's and 60's and studios have too much say and real filmmakers have their hands tied.

I hope to do a 2015 domestic boxoffice thread and see how the numbers go.

Sorry, Inception.

2008 to 2013 were truly record box office years, where even fairly mediocre films could break the billion mark (Iron Man 3, The Hobbit etc). Maybe it was 3D, the economic crisis etc, but people went to the cinema in droves.

Not so much anymore. And studios will now feel the back lash.

Whats left of the EPIC blockbuster year of 2015? We will see a lot of these very expensive films tank.

Didn't they push a lot of movies back to 2016?

Actually yes, a lot of films originally slotted for 2015 have been changed to other years, far more than I had realized until I just started doing research!

All of these got pushed from 2015 to 2016:

Finding Dory

Inferno

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Assassin's Creed

Independence Day 2

Kung Fu Panda 3

Smurfs 3

Wow!

And also Pirates of the Caribbean 5 moved to 2017 and Penguins of Madagascar moved to 2014.

Did Interstellar at least break even?

no. It's made 166 million. International grosses have helped some but it will like need nice home video to really see black. The marketing costs were huge and ineffective.