Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Yes, the aleatoric string work with the rhythmic lower brass/timpani patterns is reminiscent of that kind of writing.

But since Sun is reminiscent of LotR, it all balances out again ;)

Indeed! :)

It's just interesting to note the evolution of the Middle-Earth sound over the last decade.

Also, the orchestra sounds pretty good (even though its not the "full" mix)

Yeah, they seem like the lived up to the task. And I think these clips should also put the minds of those who were paranoid about Pope's involvement at ease. The music sounds like 100% Shore. No crazy picc/glock runs or boom-tzzs yet! :P

Is it just me or is the way Shore puts boy choir into his music immediately indetifiable? I'd bet that I can recognise this trademark anywhere.

Oh definitely. I think of all the mediums, Shore is best with choral writing. That's where his unique musical voice comes out best. I think it has to do with the fact that unlike most modern choral writing in film, Shore has a very operatic style and approach. You can hear it all the way back in Looking for Richard. He was meant to write an opera (which he did end up doing). I also feel like his writing flows with the words very naturally, unlike a lot of choral music in film these days.

One particular instance is the boy choir part at the end of the original Radagast the Brown cue. You'd only hear stuff like that from Shore.

Its funny, when people try ti imitate Shore's LOTR sound, it always comes off as sounding cheap.

Often ends up sounding pretty cliche.

Its funny, when people try ti imitate Shore's LOTR sound, it always comes off as sounding cheap.

To be fair, that happens when anyone tries to imitate anyone. Composers should never write anything other than their own music.

Thanks for taking the time to put that video together though. I love the bit that starts at 2:40. Tantalizing.

“I See Fire” is a song recorded by English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran. The track is confirmed as the main theme of the upcoming epic fantasy adventure film “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug“, co-written, produced and directed by Peter Jackson. It’s the second installment of a three-part film series based on J. R. R. Tolkien’s 1937 novel “The Hobbit“, beginning with “An Unexpected Journey” (2012) and set to conclude with “There and Back Again” (2014).

The song is written and produced by Sheeran and he play all the instruments on it apart from the cello but including violin. The single will be released on iTunes on November 5th. This is the first song released by the artist in over two years and after ending the promotion of his successful debut album “+” (2011). Sheeran’s highly-awaited second album will come in 2014.

http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/ed-sheeran-confirmed-new-single-i-see-fire/

Conrad Pope also spoke highly of the song on Facebook.

Congrats to Ed Sheeran, Stephen Gallagher, Fran Walsh, and all at Park Road Post who pulled this music together so completely and so fittingly.

John Sawoski:you should address your question toStephen Gallagher-- I wasn't there--- I heard only the track. His pitch was quite a joy, and relief. And what a relief it was to hear ,"out of the box", such a natural talent.

That's one lonely track right there. Special edition will be more special than anticipated. ;)

That's one lonely track right there. Special edition will be more special than anticipated. ;)

This isn't very lonely.....https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-see-fire/id735323287?i=735323715

So it is confirmed then. Good. Good. The track list I mean. Ed Sheeran still has to prove himself to me.

There's a good minute and 15 seconds of I See Fire being previewed....it honestly doesn't sound bad. A little more "modern" than the LOTR songs, but much better than Song of the Lonely Mountain, imho.\

EDIT: Here's a link to the full song: http://www.alterthepress.com/2013/11/ed-sheeran-releases-new-song-i-see-fire.html

Yeah, it's groovy. Weep, wail, and gnash your teeth, JWFan!

I'm typically disinterested in lyrics, even in songs, since good ones just flow unnoticed and bad ones are cringe-inducing... but these are not bad. I'm glad he didn't try to make it too related to the story - that would come off as corny, I think. This is nice and evocative in a general way.

And musically, it's well crafted. What more can you ask from a song?

I will have to hear it in context of the end credits (Gollums Song flows wonderfully into Eowyn's them for example), I just fear that there will be too much disconnect between the score and the song

Not watching a vlog because there's strains of some new themes buried deep in a sound mix that you won't even pay attention to because you'll be focusing on the vlog itself is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of

Who cares about all that? I"m just asking if you like the song on it's own! What is wrong with you people?

People are looking at the musical compatibility of songs with the score whose album they're on. On a film score site. After the gorgeous LotR songs. Yes, curious.

I think the ethereal quality of the LOTR songs definitely helped to make the scores feel a little more special and complete, but I don't think it's much of an issue if this one happens to feel "tacked on" in comparison. It's a pretty good song, nicely performed, and has an appropriately solemn feeling to it which most people will enjoy not paying any attention to as they leave the theater.

The song does nothing for me. The problem is this - while some of the lyrics suggest otherwise, it doesn't feel like it's about a band of Dwarves in the way that Song of the Lonely Mountain did. It feels more like a ballad some guy is singing to his loved one on the eve of some apocalyptic event - dare I say it, a love song. I suspect many teenage girls will love it as a result.

I think the song is ok, no more no less. I was expecting a more interesting arrangement and a more diverse palette of music, now I just got a guitar (almost)? Anyway it is fine, but still a disappointment to me.

I think his song will make the score sell better though, he really is popular.