Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Supposedly there were some IMAX 2D screenings internationally, but I don't think there were any in the US. It's a damn shame, too.

Cameron is going for HFR with the Avatar sequels? Not sure I've heard that before.

Cameron would ideally like to go to 60 fps if possible. He believes that would make the 3D much more palatable.

I'm . . . guardedly curious. I thought Avatar was a good movie that could've been improved with a better story. So what if that's what these sequels give us—better stories? You figure now that the threat from Earth is gone (at least for now), it's gonna be the adventures of Blue Jake in his new world. There could be all kinds of interesting possibilities drawn from that.

I'm trying to play the optimist here, since these movies are going to happen whether we like it or not. At first blush I don't really see why Avatar would need a sequel when Cameron could be using his considerable talents to tell us different stories. But if I say that, then I have to concede that these movies may indeed be different stories—and who the hell can say what that'll look like? A few years from now we might be agreeing that the first Avatar would've been a masterpiece if only he'd done it like he did the sequels. . . .

- Uni

Avatar is a fine film on it's own. It's not a masterpiece of story, but it's a better told tale than the tale itself. And there are few films so visually stunning. That might not be enough for everyone, but I would imagine that James Cameron is his own toughest critic.

As cliche as Avatar is, it's probably executed as best as cliche can get. I found myself engrossed in the climactic battle, and I thought the final shot was nice despite being wholly predictable. It's never been something I wanted to revisit though. I didn't even see it in the theater.

As cliche as Avatar is, it's probably executed as best as cliche can get. I found myself engrossed in the climactic battle, and I thought the final shot was nice despite being wholly predictable. It's never been something I wanted to revisit though. I didn't even see it in the theater.

because you smelled Bomb, remember!!!

• 1 month later...

I thought Avatar was a good movie that could've been improved with a better story. So what if that's what these sequels give us—better stories? You figure now that the threat from Earth is gone (at least for now), it's gonna be the adventures of Blue Jake in his new world. There could be all kinds of interesting possibilities drawn from that.

The idea that the threat of Earth could ever be gone is one of the multiple things that prevent it from being a good movie to me.

How doesnt it make sense?

There are plenty of societies living under the constant treat of war.

An unprotected frontal cavalry charge against machine gun fire?

What are all the humans going to do? Go back four lightyears to home? Why are they settled on the ground in the first place? If they want to exterminate natives, why bother doing it on the ground?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It will be 7 years since Avatar and I expect him to wow us again with the look of the film. Cameron will push the envelope visually hopefully he'll have an interesting tale to tell as well.

The only thing I can remember from the first one was "Unobtanium."

the core

Still a better film than AVATAR.

you're hilarious, unless you're serious in which case that's fucking hilarious but not in a good way.

I didn't. it's not nearly as good a film to me. but I enjoyed JC very much.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sigourney Weaver to play completely new character in Avatar sequels:

James Cameron: "Sigourney and I have a long creative history, dating back to 1985 when we made 'Aliens.' We're good friends who've always worked well together, so it just feels right that she's coming back for the 'Avatar' sequels. Her character of Grace Augustine, as fans know, died in the first movie, so she's playing a different and in many ways more challenging character in the upcoming films. We’re both looking forward to this new creative challenge, the latest chapter in our long and continuing collaboration."

???