So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

My thoughts on Nolan nose-dived after Inception. I'll still take modern day Ridley over him. Ridley is a much better storyteller, he knows how to spin a good yarn. Nolan is too obsessed with details.

I don't remember much about memento except that I thought it was dull, and again not a fan of non linear story telling if it's dull. Guy Pearce is a very mediocre actor

I think Insomnia was good, if carried by the two central performances a little. Memento was fantastic, however. Pearce was brilliant, but there was a wonderful performance by Steven Tobolowsky in there that I love. Following is very good, as are the two Bat-flicks. And what I've seen of Inception was brilliant.

In my book.

Memento - good

Insomnia - okay (it was a long time ago)

Batman Begins - good

The Prestige - awful

The Dark Knight - good

Inception - okay

I'm still waiting for a 'great' film from him.

TDK's too Michael Mann.

Indeed, and by doing so, it's too much a departure from Batman. At least, with Batman Begins, we get a story about Batman and one that is told from Batman's perspective.

In my experience, TDK impresses more on the first date but disappoints during the second.

TDK's too Michael Mann.

Indeed, and by doing so, it's too much a departure from Batman. At least, with Batman Begins, we get a story about Batman and one that is told from Batman's perspective.

But then that's the point, with escalation being the theme it's about Batman's effect on the city and its criminals, that it becomes a wider story, albeit with Batman still as the main focus. I'm sure the focus will be tightened on him in the third flick.

As great as TDK was, I hope the third one is far less plotty and slightly less po-faced. But then this is Nolan, so I'm not hopeful.

I'm sure it'll be a good time at the cinema nonetheless.

I'm one of those awkward sods who prefers Batman Begins to The Dark Knight.

I'm one of those awkward sods who prefers both.

Karol - who's happy with the recent casting news for Prometheus

I hope TDKR is NOT like BB, either :P

Best case scenario it'll take the best qualities from both films and combine them to make something unique but still apart of a whole. The title itself actually suggests this.

BB is boring as hell, and the action scenes are so pedestrian, it's clear that Nolan is not equipped to film action. Even TDK suffers from his inability to know how to shoot action.

And a little bit James Bond (like Inception). And wasn't the first one (Batman Begins) already "surprising" compared to all the Tim Burton Batman movies? Anyway, it feels more authentic and less imitated. :P

And a little bit James Bond (like Inception). And wasn't the first one (Batman Begins) already "surprising" compared to all the Tim Burton Batman movies? Anyway, it feels more authentic and less imitated. :P

Well it didn't really susprised me because I saw the Tim Burton movies after Batman Begins.

What I like about BB is that it is a superhero film, as opposed to TDK. But it's less polished at times.

I can see what you mean about the James Bond thing.

Don't see much of James Bond in TDK actually. Apart from a few gadgets, but they have been a part of the Batman realm for decades.

Not much but some sequences reminded of Bond a little bit and I didn't even know Nolan was such a huge Bond fan.

BB is five times the film TDK is, in every category except quality of villains. Oh, and quality of score, since both are pretty equally...Zimmerish.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this point of view.

We need to keep Zimmer away from Nolan. And from Scott.

No, you need to keep Nolan away from Zimmer. So it ultimately doesn't matter who scores because all of Nolan's pre-Zimmer films feature the same kind of atonal atmospheric music by David Julyan.

Ridley Scott dumped Zimmer a long time ago.

All this talk of "the talented Mr. Zimmer" reminds me; wasn't there another 2-note theme written in the mid-70s - this time for a rather large fish..? ;)

williams worked, zimmers didn't, and John's was more than 2 notes when fleshed out, zimmers was noise.

The difference being that that 2 (or actually 3) note theme was the backbone on which a lot of other musical aspects were hung on. Listen to the Main Title from Jaws and tell me that it's only "dum dum...dum dum...dum dum"

I knew that I would take a lot of flack for my last post - I should have typed INCOMING!!! at the end or it. :lol:

Of course, I'm writing in jest - no-one would dare criticize J.W.'s masterful and primal approach to the theme (especially after how Spielberg envisioned it...). It just goes to show what can be done with two (o.k., three) notes. Maybe this 2-note motif for Batman is exactly what Nolan wanted. Anyway, he seemed to like it enough to use it in his next 2 Batman films...

one does not jest where Jaws is concerned. Williams was never more devilishly inventive. And imho only two score by the maestro equal or exceed Jaws.

• 2 weeks later...

Prequel, sequel, interquel, it doesn't matter.

Koray pointed out that Ridley Scott isn't a "franchise man." Until Scott decided to return to the world of the xenomorph, this was true.

Richard's comment is still correct. The fact this new film takes place before the Nostromo is reduced to tiny bits is irrelevant.