Henry Jackman - Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Jay

What the hell happened to Jackman? Kick-Ass shown so much promise! But it seems he's only another jobbing composer after all, doing what is asked of him and only that. Ah well, never mind.

His animation scores are good. His live action stuff is dictated by his directors/producers. The X-Men situation should be well known by now, and there's some well hidden facts about scoring Captain Phillips. Jackman revealed the gist of it at the composer round table last year. Paul Greengrass would continually ask him to make the music simpler and less intrusive with more bass. The scoring process on that film is a nightmare.

When did I call him brilliant?

There's a Morricone article in The New York Times that I just read. He said he's not responsible for his music being classic staples of cinema, it's the director. ;)

They're both equally responsible in my book.

Ah, somehow I didn't see there was a youtube video of the first ten minutes before. I knew it was discussed, didn't see the video somehow.

Half of it sounds generically pleasurable, even in tone with the first film, the other... well, let's just skip the other stuff.

Karol

That's exactly what I'm feeling with this score. Disappointing.

What the hell happened to Jackman? Kick-Ass shown so much promise! But it seems he's only another jobbing composer after all, doing what is asked of him and only that. Ah well, never mind.

His animation scores are good. His live action stuff is dictated by his directors/producers. The X-Men situation should be well known by now, and there's some well hidden facts about scoring Captain Phillips. Jackman revealed the gist of it at the composer round table last year. Paul Greengrass would continually ask him to make the music simpler and less intrusive with more bass. The scoring process on that film is a nightmare.

Powell's non-involvement in Captain Phillips showed. I can see why he's disillusioned with live-action films now, considering he has a temp-track to contend with, the filmmakers can't make up their minds on what they want, or a mixture of the two.

If I was a filmmaker, I would never put my composer under that kind of stress if possible. With exceptions, indecision and micromanaging is counterproductive.

So, after giving it another listen, I'll say this:

The quieter moments on this score are fantastic, some of the best for a CBM. The action music is really good too, but I'm rest assured people will completely hate the Winter Soldier theme. I'm mixed on it, because it's very....interesting. But it's also a ton of random ass noise.

• 5 months later...

Silvestri would have been a good choice. He's modern enough to attract modern audiences, but would still keep some continuity with his previous works. Shame.

Karol