BloodBoal

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oohh, How To Train Your Dragon 2 Brave has some great posters (including this new one). But the trailer was a huge bummer (save for the music ofc).

Let's hope Pixar doesn't disappoint, for their sake...

Logical. They-re bringing in new directors and writers. There isn-t really a Pixar feeling, their films are quite different in style from each other. The ones that are a bit more collaborative, like Toy Story, might get the PIxar feeling label, though.

I love this!

Looks better than the trailer...but it looks nothing like a Pixar film :(

I see some Pixar in it. So the character design is different than for most Pixar films - but so it was for The Incredibles. And Ratatouille, in fact. And both were very... unusual Pixars as far as story telling goes. And yet they're two of their best.

I dunno I actually DID get a Pixar feeling from that clip and it's gone some way in restoring, or even starting my interest in this film. It seems to have the irreverent Pixar humour and attitude to it without the obnoxiousness of some of Dreamworks' efforts.

Pixar trailers are a funny thing though. I remember being completely disinterested in Up, even going so far as to say to friends that I probably wouldn't bother seeing it based on the trailers. My Pixar love prevailed though and within 10 minutes I was a sobbing wreck. I've learned to (cautiously) trust them now and with the exception of the Cars films, they have not let us down yet. Lets face it, Pixar at their worst is still better than most of the other animation houses can put out at their best!

Lets face it, Pixar at their worst is still better than most of the other animation houses can put out at their best!

Yes

I dunno I actually DID get a Pixar feeling from that clip and it's gone some way in restoring, or even starting my interest in this film. It seems to have the irreverent Pixar humour and attitude to it without the obnoxiousness of some of Dreamwork's efforts.

Pixar trailers are a funny thing though. I remember being completely disinterested in Up, even going so far as to say to friends that I probably wouldn't bother seeing it based on the trailers. My Pixar love prevailed though and within 10 minutes I was a sobbing wreck. I've learned to (cautiously) trust them now and with the exception of the Cars films, they have not let us down yet. Lets face it, Pixar at their worst is still better than most of the other animation houses can put out at their best!

Fair enough, but Cars 2 was just one big drop for Pixar in terms of quality, thats why I'm a bit skeptical now. The humour in the trailer actually seems more along the veins of a Dreamworks film if you ask me. But like you said, I should probably wait till the film (really hoping to be surprised here...).

What I am eagerly looking forward to is Patrick Doyle's score!

• 2 weeks later...

They should have John Williams score a Pixar movie. There's yet to be a Pixar film with a great score. Patrick Doyle is promising though.

I disagree, RATATOUILLE, THE INCREDIBLES, UP and WALL-E are all great scores to me.

• 1 month later...

Let's see if Doyle has a chance to write a great orchestral Scottish/Celtic music infused score. :)

Well there are other ways of approaching the subject than Vaughan Williams on steroids like Powell did. But I am sure Doyle will address the Scottish aspect in some way in the score. I think the mythical side of the story might offer a great opporturnities as well.

I just hope this won't be a Goblet Of Fire kind-of-score...

BIG BRASS FANFARE!!!!! Silence... BIG BRASS FANFARE!!!! Silence... BIG BRASS FANFARE!!! Silence...

Indeed.

I'd love another score like that.

Something of that size but not of that particular execution.

Saw the trailer for this before The Avengers. For a Pixar movie, it looks remarkably uninteresting. Boring, even.

Yeah, looks a bit boring to me as well. Hope Doyle swings for the fences on this one. Looking for the next great score for an animated feature...

Wall-E still resonates with me...we'll see what Henry Jackman comes up with for Wreck It Ralph.

• 2 weeks later...

In this clip you can hear a small excerpt from what is presumably Doyle's original score.

Sounds very good, the music strongly having a gaelic but orchestral flavour in that scene. :)

Saw the trailer for this before The Avengers. For a Pixar movie, it looks remarkably uninteresting. Boring, even.

Yeah, I had the exact same response. I was actually really disappointed to learn it was the trailer for Brave.

In this clip you can hear a small excerpt from what is presumably Doyle's original score.

Sounds very good, the music strongly having a gaelic but orchestral flavour in that scene. :)

Don't have sound available at my terminal right now. Is it in any way reminiscent of Doyle's writing for Into the West?

Yeah, I had the exact same response. I was actually really disappointed to learn it was the trailer for Brave.

Don't have sound available at my terminal right now. Is it in any way reminiscent of Doyle's writing for Into the West?

Alas I don't know since I have not heard Into the West. But it sounds very much like Doyle is channeling the traditional Scottish musical style through the orchestra with fiddle, probably a bodhran and bagpipe thrown into the mix.

Of course it is jollier! It is animation after all and they are stealing cakes for heaven's sake!

Ah the Scottish highland justice. Can't beat that.