Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

A Silmarillion tone poem in the hands of Shore could be a beautiful thing.

And you don't need film for that! In fact it would have been more fitting this way. :)

Karol

Quint I don't understand why you're posting in this thread, this is what puzzles me.

Also, do all Internet forums turn this nasty, or is it more a JWFan thing? There's seems to be a regular dose of insult throwing around here.

Oh you haven't been at the Film Score Monthly message board yet. ;)

Sorry, but Quint is objectionably wrong.

I am not talking about intense study of the scores, or seeking out scraps of unreleased music.

I am talking about listening to the original soundtrack album for each film, one time, all the way through, before coming in here and saying that Shore dropped the ball and composed an inferior score, based on what you heard in the film - because, again, the score was heavily tracked and chopped up to pieces and rearranged by the director at the last minute.

Pretty basic stuff here, but of course Quint can't budge on his archaic viewpoint. It's Friday night, he's worked hard all week, he wants to have some pints and go on the internet and stir up trouble! Isn't he so cool and smart?

And the reason there are more LOTR threads that Narnia or Twilight is because more members here like those scores and like discussing them than they do Narnia or Twilight scores.

If someone wanted to start a unique Complete Cue List thread for each of the Narnia and Twilight scores, of course they wouldn't be merged together. Why would they be? That makes no sense.

Quint I don't understand why you're posting in this thread, this is what puzzles me.

For fun? For the JWFan Banter...

Maybe you'll understand in a few years, if you stick around.

Also, do all Internet forums turn this nasty, or is it more a JWFan thing? There's seems to be a regular dose of insult throwing around here.

Nasty? Nah, this is just the board coasting mate.

That, and giving you something to whine about.

I fully expect more pain when the inevitable final chapter of shit floods cinemas in December. But at least it will be over then.

Such a diplomatic response? I had this all lined up and ready to go....

I can't imagine any character that's already been on screen and doesn't have a theme yet will get one in Film 3.

Jason, I work part-time and I am in work tomorrow morning. I also haven't had a drink, but intend to change that in a moment.

Now tell me again what the fuck any of that has to do with my view that the Hobbit scores aren't all that great?

And while you're at it, can you then enlighten me as to why I didn't need to listen to the original LotR albums to realise the music was quite bloody special FILM SCORE?

Again, I'm a film-centric enjoyer of movie scores. Always have been. If the score doesn't stand out particularly well during the movie I ain't interested in finding out if it's any better on CD. Why should I be? The only exceptions I ever make in that regard are when the guy wielding the baton was Williams or Goldsmith. That's an exception, not a rule.

Why?

I seem to remember seeing him post several times in these threads, and yet he clearly seem to hate Hobbit things and people who post in them. Why bother going to these threads if you don't enjoy them or what they are discussing.

Being miserable is fun.

You must excuse him, he's an uncouth Scouse, cultural benefits haven't quite reached him yet.

FSM can get downright brutal.

And yet the people doing it never come off as much more than sadly amusing....

It actually gives proof that people who love film music often are socially incompatible freaks.

FSM can get downright brutal.

And yet the people doing it never come off as much more than sadly amusing....

It actually gives proof that people who love film music often are socially incompatible freaks.

At least in writing (typing).

Karol

Woah, this thread exploded.

Jason, I work part-time and I am in work tomorrow morning. I also haven't had a drink, but intend to change that in a moment.

Now tell me again what the fuck any of that has to do with my view that the Hobbit scores aren't all that great?

And while you're at it, can you then enlighten me as to why I didn't need to listen to the original LotR albums to realise the music was quite bloody special FILM SCORE?

Again, I'm a film-centric enjoyer of movie scores. Always have been. If the score doesn't stand out particularly well during the movie I ain't interested in finding out if it's any better on CD. Why should I be? The only exceptions I ever make in that regard are when the guy wielding the baton was Williams or Goldsmith. That's an exception, not a rule.

That's all well and good Quint, but I think all Jason's trying to point out is that what you're hearing in film isn't really what Shore intended for them. AUJ's score basically got butchered in context and replaced with last-minute rewrites/rehashes of LotR material. DoS' score was cut in strange places and moved around the weird pacing issues of the film. A lot of this which can probably be blamed on Peter Jackson's inability to make a film according to plan these days.

Now, I wouldn't have expressed that as others have here. Lord knows that the Tolkien discussion here has become rather anal at times, even I'm not a fan of all nitpicking. But I wouldn't dismiss the score entirely because of the pedestal they're being held on by some. Are they the pinnacle of film scoring? No. Is it good film music? Yeah, I like to think so. And that's not because I'm satisfied with modern film music (because I'm not...) or that I'm sick of it.

But hey, that's just my opinion. And really, the Tolkien fans have to stop defending these scores so ruthfully...what are we trying to prove exactly? If you enjoy the scores, that's great. If someone doesn't, does it really matter? And are you really doing any favours by writing up giant fanboy-ish rants (this one doesn't count!)?

Now,

3861cee0d9bd600e9e620f120349c5e8ab579a92

JWfan is a very friendly place compared to many other forums.

There are definitely friendlier places than JWFan, but for better or worse, JWFan has greater personality.

I don't know if you're a fan of Williams, but it would be somewhat similar to him scoring a new Star Wars film and then the director cutting all of the interesting parts out and replacing new takes on a old themes with recordings from the original trilogy. What he originally composed remains on the album, and the film his to an extent out of his control.

The Phantom Menace?

Stefan is an asshole online but a really nice guy in real life.

I'd love to see if the same holds true for Lee

He deserves all this and more. But spare some for the next Bond thread.

Few deserve me, and the pair of you two trolls certainly don't.

That sounds oddly...sexual.

Jay just called you an asshole, Quint! ;)

Nah, he's more of an arsehole,

Karol

It's okay, I can take it. Plus what else should I have expected from someone who considers mild criticism of their favourite masturbation music to be an affront to their basic human rights? This thread was bound to strongly disagree with me, I knew that.

In the handful of other threads here which don't feature LotR, I'm generally not considered an arsehole. "Twat", maybe. But not an arsehole.

Lord knows that the Tolkien discussion here has become rather anal at times, even I'm not a fan of all nitpicking. But I wouldn't dismiss the score entirely because of the pedestal they're being held on by some. Are they the pinnacle of film scoring? No. Is it good film music? Yeah, I like to think so. And that's not because I'm satisfied with modern film music (because I'm not...) or that I'm sick of it.

Cheers for chiming in KK., once again you demonstrate that your wisdom and consideration far surpasses that of your young years. I bolded the part I completely agree with, but quoted beyond it because I just really appreciated your post, and tone.

I wasn't thinking of a film.

Note to self: try harder to stop skim reading.