Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

if it is, why use a fake mockup instead of the real recording sessions? that's why I'm a bit depressed tonight

Someone "accidentally" hit delete on the recording sessions folder and everything Williams recorded for TFA was lost. I believe the man responsible has the initials M.G.

That's why Williams is furiously re-recording the score... but only the concert suites for his OST presentation. The rest of the score will now be entirely comprised of synth mockups of his sheet music.

The music sounds like Williams pastiche to me. Doesn't seem to fit the Star Wars aesthetic, and veers off a bit into Harry Potter land.

Also, I reckon the recording could well be produced from samples...? And if so, it surely wouldn't be a Williams original.

That said - that melody has got itself stuck in my head - just caught myself whistling it. :unsure:

IMHO it's definitely Williams. I didn't have time to analyze closely enough, but there seems to be a sort of relationship with the Force theme. IMHO it's the "awakening" theme/motif.

And if it sounds kind of "synthy" it's because there are the usual synthy overlays likely made purposefully for the spot.

IMHO it's definitely Williams. I didn't have time to analyze closely enough, but there seems to be a sort of relationship with the Force theme. IMHO it's the "awakening" theme/motif.

And if it sounds kind of "synthy" it's because there are the usual synthy overlays likely made purposefully for the spot.

Tu quoque, Maurizio?

I'm fairly sure this time it's Williams. But it's just an edited snippet. What we're hearing is likely the first 2-4 bars of the theme, which could develop into something very interesting. It seems to dance around the keys of G Minor and C Minor, a typical gesture of several Williams' minor-key themes (and very classical/operatic).

At https://www.facebook.com/lucasfilm/you can find a longer version of the trailer. The quality of the sound is simply horrible, there's an excess of compression, but I have no doubt that the music is by Williams, the first part is new and the last part is from the second trailer.

We are talking about trailers here, things that usually do not have original music from the film although there are some exceptions like the teaser. I am not in the least surprised if they are saving Williams' music for the film itself.

+1

Wow, people are already hating on the supposedly new music.

Also, I can't believe people say it sounds synthy. I must have lost it completely because I don't hear that at all.

Personally, as I said before, Williams or not, it's a really good theme. Reminds me a bit of the Unicorn theme from Tintin, which is a theme I fucking adore (even if it starts out like The Fury, but I love that one too, so....) And I also really like that brass fanfare before the ESB material kicks in again -sounds to me a little based around Luke's theme.

At https://www.facebook.com/lucasfilm/you can find a longer version of the trailer. The quality of the sound is simply horrible, there's an excess of compression, but I have no doubt that the music is by Williams, the first part is new and the last part is from the second trailer.

That's not longer, its the same as what's best posted 3 time already

I only watched this once, but for the first third of the commercial I was sure it was Williams - it seemed substantive enough melodically to be an actual new theme, and I was pretty sure I heard actual woodwinds. When the "orchestra" hits, it's definitely synth. So maybe it's a Williams theme punched up for the trailer, or maybe it's just some synth trailer work like the first half of the theatrical trailer.

I remember there were some TLC recordings floating around a few years ago of which the sound quality was so bad that respected members here believed it were synth recreations of the actual score. It turned out they weren't synth at all and were really the original symphonic performances.

Bad sound can easily be mistaken for an artificial recreation as those TLC tracks proved.

It rubs the lotion on its skin and does so whenever it's told!

Reminds me of you and some other members sharing masturbation techniques on this board, or did I read that in a YouTube comment section as well...?