So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

This looks more like an adventure film.

Like At the Mountains of Ma... oh.

I guess so. But I don't think the score contains two or three cues composed by HGW.

I don't think another composer stepped in and used HGW's theme. Unless we're being hidden something. Mmm.

It may not be very Alien, but I LOVE that poster! Actually looks like a hand painted poster and not a 10 minute photoshop job that we're so used to seeing these days.

Well, what's shown in that poster has been pretty heavily eluded to right from the very first teaser trailer. I'm left wondering, given how well they've kept the majority of the plot under wraps, just how significant that event actually is to the story.

It looks like SPACE AVENGERS OF THE THIRD DIMENSION. Certainly not in any way like an atmospheric horror movie, which seems to be the point.

3 weeks......

I can feel it in my chest.....

So is the score's problem that it sounds like it did back in that old debut trailer (the one which I said sounded shit at the time), or is this something else entirely? I haven't heard any of the the ost yet.

The good thing about the score is that it does sound like they're actually trying.

The bad thing about the score is that it's unable to get up there. Even with two composers and a Goldsmith theme.

I guess so. But I don't think the score contains two or three cues composed by HGW.

I don't think another composer stepped in and used HGW's theme. Unless we're being hidden something. Mmm.

There is an additional arranger. That explains everything. isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the tweets?

No. I just can't imagine it being any good. Remember it's a prequel (of sorts) to one of the most beloved s-f films of all time done by the same director. It just can't work. The expectations are too high.

Karol

No, you're probably right.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like the film to be good. They got my money already.

We'll see. It's 3 days and 5 minutes.

Karol

Just "okay" is pretty disappointing, isn't it? Most of Scott's movies are just okay.

I think most of his movies are more than just ok, many of them are brilliant.

Comparing today's output, I love Ridley's movies.

The problem with Ridley Scott is dthat he's still a terrific filmmaker and visualist, but he just doesn't seem to connect with the material or care about what he's doing. His films are now more products. And while mostly a waste of talent, they're still very watchable.

Karol - who kind of liked Robin Hood

I don't find many of his films visually appealing either ... Yes, I can drool over his first three or four movies (including the most part of Legend, I guess) but that's it. His other films, I can't explain it but, there's a certain degree of Tony Scott in there, especially noticeable in Black Hawk Down. Also, I don't see the whole world referencing to Body Of Lies like they do to Alien or Blade Runner. There's something more mundane and less artistic about them. Photography and look took on the primary role in his first films. They are obsessive, bordering on fetishism. If you look at lists like the one from American Cinematographer (50 best shot modern films), you'll find films like Blade Runner or The Duellist but not his 'other' movies.

I think most of his movies are more than just ok, many of them are brilliant.

Sure, sure, sure.

I have no problems with Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal, Body Of Lies, Matchstick Men or A Good Year.

Matchstick Men probably being his most underrated film, one that nobody talks about. One of the very few great Nick Cage performances, and a great score by Zimmer.

You are obsessed with your lists!

Since I was talking about Scott's visual accomplishments, I thought it would be nice to refer to that particular list. I admit, it's nice to know that some of my favorite visual feasts are on a poll run by a specialized magazine that is read by mostly professional and amateur filmmakers and that solely focuses on the art and craft of cinematography. I was even surprised that a relatively small film like The Duellists made it to the first 50. That would never happen with ordinary popular polls. Note that the list I'm referring to only includes modern movies made before 2008, for that's when the poll was held.

Alex

I have no problems with Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal, Body Of Lies, Matchstick Men or A Good Year.

Matchstick Men probably being his most underrated film, one that nobody talks about. One of the very few great Nick Cage performances, and a great score by Zimmer.

Yea Matchstick Men is a good little flick!

The French review says it's visually of the same level of Alien and Blade Runner and that Scott must've remembered why these two movies are responsible for most of his glory. Wow! Fassbender is amazing. Rapace is good. Other actors are functional but don't evoke any feelings in the viewer. Film is more about thought and reflection like Blade Runner than it's about terror/horror. Sounds pretty good if the French like it, no?

I don't really get the "disappointing" thing about the Tweets anyway. I saw many positive contributions when I had a quick look.

Those coming away disappointed were possibly expecting another Aliens.

Film is more about thought and reflection like Blade Runner than it's about terror/horror. Sounds pretty good if the French like it, no?

I sort of wanted/expected the film to be quite different to Alien in that sense. That way there could be a better contrast between this, Alien and Aliens.

What I'm afraid is that there'll be nothing new to the film, science-fiction wise.

I don't really get the "disappointing" thing about the Tweets anyway. I saw many positive contributions when I had a quick look.

Those coming away disappointed were possibly expecting another Aliens.

I think they expect horror and that they will shit in their pants but that the film isn't about that at all. The trailer might be deceiving like the trailer of Blade Runner was.

I was going to say something about Blade Runner not being scary because robots that are perfect copies of people don't exist in real life (yet, that we know of, blah blah blah) for us to be scared of, but then I would have to ask why Alien is scary, too.

Were the replicants robots? I've always though they were genetically engineered human beings. Nothing about them seemed to be mechanical