Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

The Thorin theme in Sons of Durin sounds similar to the one in A Forest River (it even goes into the pulsing music from the forest river at the end). Will this be the third film in a row where the awesome action mode of Thorin's theme isn't used in the film?

Probably not.

Seems the digital version will be released November 28th.

Wow! The Amazon DE site says Friday Nov 28, while the other 3 European Amazon sites that have samples up says Monday Dec 1!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PBEN6P6

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00PBEES2Q

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B00PBC9TAY

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00PBB6GVU

Odd that all 4 sites only have samples for the SE and not for the Standard....

I remember back when the AUJ samples first hit, on qobuz, we got the Isengard Theme in the White Council standard version sample but not the SE sample.

So there is basically nearly 100 minutes of score from the film plus the song and the 6 minutes of bonus material from DoS.

TBOTFA, not TABA.

His cover says TABA . ;)

That reminds me I have to make The Quest For Erebor and The Road Goes Ever On covers for the first two scores!

Just curious, Why?

My Unexpected Journey is fine.

So there is basically nearly 100 minutes of score from the film plus the song and the 6 minutes of bonus material from DoS.

Again, I dunno why Doug Tweeted that "Dragon Sickness" is from DOS. Sounds all new to me.

Thrain, though, for sure is a DOS Cue.

Shame they only included that as a bonus track, and not the other EE cues (Beorn Intro, Mirkwood, World of Men, Weapons Raid w/ Prophecy Scene)

Again, I dunno why Doug Tweeted that "Dragon Sickness" is from DOS. Sounds all new to me.

Thrain, though, for sure is a DOS Cue.

Shame they only included that as a bonus track, and not the other EE cues (Beorn Intro, Mirkwood, World of Men, Weapons Raid w/ Prophecy Scene)

Well I am hoping for the eventual CRs to rectify that. ;)

But I would think Doug knows something perhaps that we don't about the release and which belongs to where. If we can't trust him, who can we turn to? Conrad Pope?

09 A Thief In The Night

What the!? The incidental music from Barrels Out Of Bond returns... so I guess Shore has turned this in a new Burglar theme for Bilbo? Even though he already had a different one in AUJ? Weird!

Yup. So I assume it confirms that the theme in AUJ is actually Thorin's Pride then.

Anyone find the choral recording in "Bred for War" a bit strange (as great as the music is)?

And based on DoS, the percussion instruments in NZSO just don't have the natural timbres and organic sound of the LPO.

(Beorn Intro, Mirkwood, World of Men, Weapons Raid w/ Prophecy Scene)

#1 Dunno, probably because its nothing really new.

#2 Nothing really new, and perhaps too ambient?

#3 Nothing really new.

#4 Because it sounds like an unmusical edit.

And based on DoS, the percussion instruments in NZSO just don't have the natural timbres and organic sound of the LSO.

LPO.

Anyone find the choral recording in "Bred for War" a bit strange (as great as the music is)?

Eh, it sounds alright to me, might just be because you can hear it more than with LOTR/DOS.

Also its a 64kbps (?) mp3.

That portion of 'Bred for War' after the Woodland Realm theme sounds rather like the music when Bilbo begins climbing the stairs at Rivendell in the AUJ:EE (as heard in 'The White Council').

09 A Thief In The Night

What the!? The incidental music from Barrels Out Of Bond returns... so I guess Shore has turned this in a new Burglar theme for Bilbo? Even though he already had a different one in AUJ? Weird!

Yup. So I assume it confirms that the theme in AUJ is actually Thorin's Pride then.

And based on DoS, the percussion instruments in NZSO just don't have the natural timbres and organic sound of the LSO.

Again I would not fully judge the sound too much before hearing the music in better quality.

That portion of 'Bred for War' after the Woodland Realm theme sounds rather like the music when Bilbo begins climbing the stairs at Rivendell in the AUJ:EE (as heard in 'The White Council').

Thats part of the Erebor/Thorin theme.

Just curious, Why?

My Unexpected Journey is fine.

It's not bad per say, but it just never clicked with me. Maybe that's because it was at the origin of the overuse of the word "unexpected" with everything Hobbit-related, from reviews (An unexpected disaster, an unexpected masterpiece, etc.) to merchandise (An unexpected extended edition, an unexpected figurine...) and even JWFAN threads (An Unexpected Poll)! Enough already with the word "unexpected"!

Its completely Tolkien though.

That's the "Bilbo climbing stairs" motif!

See my post above.

I've actually never liked "An Unexpected Journey" either.

I love the dual nature of hte first chapter of Tolkien's Book titles - An Unexpected Party for The Hobbit and A Long-Expected Party for The Lord Of The Rings. But I don't like that the filmmakers took that and made up An Unexpected Journey out of it.

Unfortunately I can't think of better subtitles for all 3 films myself, but I'm not a huge fans of any of the ones they chose, other than There and Back Again, which of course they dropped.

Eh, it sounds alright to me, might just be because you can hear it more than with LOTR/DOS.

Also its a 64kbps (?) mp3.

It's not that. Just sounds inorganic.

Anyone think we might get some soloists in this score?

I also the use of the sarangi for the Mirkwood elves too in "Gathering of the Clouds".

A Bilbo climbing stairs motif eh? That works. Of course, it would probably mean that he must follow Legolas and Tauriel all the way to Mount Gundabad to witness the mobilisation of Azog's army, but stranger things have happened.

The full title of this book is The Hobbit, or There and Back Again..... although Bilbo had written and crossed out several other titles: My Diary, My Unexpected Journey, There and Back Again, And What Happened After.

http://www.communizine.com/2013/12/18/33-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-the-hobbit/

Blame Fran Walsh! She came up with the title for the first film.

But returning to the first score, AUJ seems now like some kind of return to Middle Earth experiment play ground where PJ tried a lot of stuff musically with Shore and in the end decided against a lot of obviously initially approved musical concepts. Bilbo's theme didn't work, Radagast's music was too colourful in a distracting way etc. DoS seemed to hold much better in compass in comparison although music was still massaged in the normal post production fashion.

The full title of this book is The Hobbit, or There and Back Again..... although Bilbo had written and crossed out several other titles: My Diary, My Unexpected Journey, There and Back Again, And What Happened After.

http://www.communizine.com/2013/12/18/33-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-the-hobbit/

What Happened After will be a great title for the fourth film.

NO FOURTH MOVIE! Oh wait that is basically The Lord of the Rings.

I had a dream of the existence fourth movie.

In the dream the third movie was nearing the end/climax and it was of Thrain with a huge sword killing orcs.

So I was right about Dain having a new theme? Woohoo.

It's a kickass theme too.

You guys were also right about the last two tracks being from DoS (supposedly), so I bow my head in shame and defeat.

No. These will be Episodes VII, VIII and IX when PJ is finished with the series. He's planning on making a new trilogy taking place between The Hobbit and LOTR.

AKA Money Fort Padding Part 1, 2 and 3.

cad-20120801-bce33.png

No. These will be Episodes VII, VIII and IX when PJ is finished with the series. He's planning on making a new trilogy taking place between The Hobbit and Star Wars.

WHAT!? ;)

In the dream the third movie was nearing the end/climax and it was of Thrain with a huge sword killing orcs.

Sounds badass. I'd watch it.

Sounds badass. I'd watch it.

It was skyscraper sized, huge! black and gold it was, filled the sky.

So Thrain is indeed from the Desolation of Smaug EE. Wow. Some great stuff in there. Loving the return of the Uillean pipes in Ironfoot! Seems to be a lot of incidental music from the DOS soundtrack being elaborated upon, eg the escape from mirkwood buildup material appearing in "There and Back Again".

Some fabulous action music in Battle for the Mountain and To the Death. Love the development of Thorin and Erebor in The Ruins of Dale, Sons of Durin, and The Fallen.

This is going to be a great piece! Don't care much about the film, but colour me excited for the score.

Nice to have you back Tanny!

I think Dain's theme might just be my favourite of all the new ones. Such a step up from the Erebor bonus track.

I cannot agree. while the use of bagpipes is better handled here, the theme is a little nebulous for me right now, though that could just be because its just a 30 second clip.

I prefer the Bilbo Adventure theme played in non-dramatic mode.

fixed, because Erebor is not an action "cue" by any stretch.

I prefer the Bilbo Adventure theme played in non-dramatic mode.

Fixed, because Erebor is NOT an action cue.

Fixed, because I'll say whatever I want thank you very much!

Fixed, because words mean things.