Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I'm not going to buy The Avengers on DVD or blu-ray because I don't think it can withstand multiple viewing. I mean, a second viewing isn't going to offer anything new and my experience with the movie wasn't of that order that I need to undergo it again.

Alex

Sounds like either you guys expect every comic book movie to be Shakespeare in tights, or Chris Nolan set the bar so damn high with The Dark Knight that everything now is a letdown.

The Avengers taken just against itself is a letdown. Not once did I think how would Nolan do this or compare it to the Dark Knight films.

The Avengers short comings were apparent to anyone not creaming their pants. The villain was weak, the aliens uninteresting. the finale was underwhelming and loud.

the strong points were Iron Man and Capt'n America. The Hulk was funny but not very interesting by himself. The Alien Carp ships looked like another Transformers contraption.

Any real drama was not in existence. The effects were decent but nothing special. the flying stealth carrier was a cool toy that was laughable beyond belief.

Worst of all I wanted to love the movie but didn't.

My problem with the film are:

-The moment when Thor attemps to murder Captain America the moment he sees him for no reason.

-Lack of information about the aliens.

-The low numbers and/or weaponry of the aliens themselves.

-Needs more development on the scientist guy to properly solve the failsafe thing on the "portal-opener".

-The alien things suddenly disconnecting.

-It seems that the aliens have no particular knowdledge of the "portal-opener", they should have protected it, or attempted to open it again.

Just picked up the digibook of E.T.

my Best Buy had only 4 copies of the digibook. I got there just as they opened. Traded in a dvd and used the universal coupon and with tax got it for $18.60.

It has two separate sections on John Williams.

The digibook is just beautiful.

I preordered mine for store pick-up today, hopefully the one they're holding for me is the correct copy!

I went around to a few best buys yesterday with coupons to get the regular Jaws blu-ray, but none of the stores in my area even have that.

Just picked up the digibook of E.T.

my Best Buy had only 4 copies of the digibook. I got there just as they opened. Traded in a dvd and used the universal coupon and with tax got it for $18.60.

I did the same thing. Was surprised they combined the two coupons. $5 credit for a crappy old DVD is a great deal.

Someone wasn't doing their job properly. Manufacturer coupons are exempt from BBY sales. Only their coupons won't work.

I just got my digibook, it was $18-something like Joey said. Traded in Gangs Of New York.

My E.T. digibook arrived. I tore it open to see the old VHS cover art. My long lost blue. It's glorious. I previewed the film and it's just heavenly. Plus, DTS 2.0! Screw 7.1

Alright I got the special E.T. Steelbook from Future Shop since it was cheaper than the normal version for the first 2 days of release. Paid 14.99$cdn

They were sold out at noon but the guy found me the last one in the stock room

I haven't got the Universal Classic Monsters Collection yet but when I do I plan on watching Creature from the Black Lagoon and then Jaws back to back. I've always felt these two films were kin, as do many others. I want to directly compare the two.

I just watched E.T. with the 2.0 track. It looks and sounds astoundingly great. The swears are no longer muted and E.T. gurgling sounds when he dies have been restored. In terms of the presentation of the film itself, this is probably my favorite Blu-ray release yet. It's basically flawless.

Hesher

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street

Sleepy Hollow

All for the nice price of $25. I've never seen Hesher, and have been waiting for it to drop to finally check it out. Looked great but never got a chance to see it in theaters. The Burton films were a part of a 2-pack for $10. Haven't seen either in years but it's some of Burton's best stuff, and for $5 a pop, how can you say no?

I hated Sleepy Hollow (maybe I saw it from a wrong perspective at the time) but Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite Burton movies. Once you overcome the singing (luckily, it's not a traditional musical), there's great beauty to be found in the tragedy. The film is gorgeous in HD.

Alex

Well, I just got to thinking about it the other day for some reason. Out of the 18 movies he's directed over the course of his career, I only really rate 6 of them, Sweeney Todd being the last one which I do, which happens to be perhaps his finest achievement and his best film since Edward Scissorhands.

Isn't that how many feel about Burton? How can he be one of the most overrated directors when so many see him as a hit and miss director? Every once in a while, he can be very good, though. I will be forever thankful for Ed Wood and Sweeney Todd.

Alex

He can often be visually brilliant, but the pacing in his movies always feels so slow to me, and not in a good "savour the atmosphere" way like for instance Kubrick's 2001.

They feel leaden, bogged down somehow.

The Ed Wood one not so much though, and I do like the manic energy of Beetlejuice.

These past few years definitely, but I still haven't seen Frankenweenie.

I enjoyed it. The style of animation didn't look significantly advanced so it could have happened anytime after Corpse Bride, but Burton may just have been waiting for 3D, though I don't think it really added anything to the film. I didn't mind 3D for this movie because at this point in the relationship, I'm supposed to look at $23 for a pair of movie tickets and say, "yes dear." It's the only new Burton movie that I've enjoyed in a long time.

I do remember being impressed by the score during the film, though I wasn't trying to remember any themes. I did pick it up and will listen to it in greater detail tonight.

Burton is famously rated as a director of note, but maybe people aren't necessarily referring to the quality of his movies but instead to his instantly recognisable style.

Watched "From Russia With Love two weekends ago. Last weekend we watched Goldfinger. My wife has never seen most of these early Bonds before. Quite interesting that she really enjoyed the first two, but didn't rate Goldfinger very highly. I must confess it's never really been a favourite of mine either. It's clearly a classic, and has so many great scenes, but for me it just lacks the momentum of the first two films. Overall I much prefer the three Terrence Young films to the four Guy Hamilton ones, Goldfinger included.

I feel the same about Burton. There's still two or three of the "good" ones I need to see before I write him off completely, but I haven't loved any his films that I have seen.

That said, the man gave us Danny Elfman. Gotta give him props for that.

I must confess it's never really been a favourite of mine either. It's clearly a classic, and has so many great scenes, but for me it just lacks the momentum of the first two films. Overall I much prefer the three Terrence Young films to the four Guy Hamilton ones, Goldfinger included.

The reason I've always enjoyed FRWL and DN over Goldfinger for Connery is that most of the time he doesn't do anything in Goldfinger. Throughout the middle of the movie he is held prisoner, which I think slows down the movie quite a bit. Now, its still a fantastic film but I much prefer the first two over Goldfinger. Though the score more than makes up for any pacing problems.

As for Burton, I don't think he's been on his game since the 90s. It seems nowadays he depends too much on Depp and Carter in his movies rather than actually trying to make an interesting movie. He's also playing things far too safe, taking projects like Alice and Dark Shadows likely more due to the paycheck and the security factor rather than do his own thing. The only two films of his I've liked this millennium were Big Fish and Sweeny Todd. I'm looking forward to Frankenweenie but I'm going to wait for it to hit cable as I have too many movies I want to see currently.

Burton is famously rated as a director of note, but maybe people aren't necessarily referring to the quality of his movies but instead to his instantly recognisable style.

Which, at least visually, isn't really there in Batman and Ed Wood, two of his best.

I just watched E.T. with the 2.0 track. It looks and sounds astoundingly great. The swears are no longer muted and E.T. gurgling sounds when he dies have been restored. In terms of the presentation of the film itself, this is probably my favorite Blu-ray release yet. It's basically flawless.

have you watched the two new extra's. Some amazing stuff there. For all the love the movie gets for Williams score, you cannot overlook the absolutely stunning performances by all the primary cast. Thomas' Elliott is still IMHO the greatest child performance of all time. The performance by a 6 year old Drew Barrymore is just unbelievable, and it needs to be said that Dee Wallaces' portrayal of their mom is so on spot. She is damaged, hurt, and struggling as a single parent to fill the void of her children and make sense of her own postion. At it's core she makes this foursome a real family, believable and true.

Blade Runner's 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Book comes out on Tuesday. The question is, do I get that, or the overpriced collector's set that includes all the bonus features?

The former would look better on my shelf and costs $23, the latter is $50. I don't understand how a documentary and a bonus disc equate to a $27 mark-up.

Kubrick's Fear And Desire will also be out. It's a hefty $30, so I'm gonna wait for that one to drop. Anyone here familiar with the film? The Library Of Congress' restoration is an insane improvement.

Blade Runner is far from a favorite film of mine, but I have the 5 disc set in BD packaging and there's like too much content.

have you watched the two new extra's. Some amazing stuff there. For all the love the movie gets for Williams score, you cannot overlook the absolutely stunning performances by all the primary cast. Thomas' Elliott is still IMHO the greatest child performance of all time. The performance by a 6 year old Drew Barrymore is just unbelievable, and it needs to be said that Dee Wallaces' portrayal of their mom is so on spot. She is damaged, hurt, and struggling as a single parent to fill the void of her children and make sense of her own postion. At it's core she makes this foursome a real family, believable and true.

I can't wait to have the time to watch them. Spielberg has said this was his most personal film and that clearly shows. The performances he brought out from all the cast are amazing.

Watched Thunderball last night. Amazing picture and sound, but the 5.1 mix was really unbalanced on my TV. The music was deafening and the dialogue and sound effects were buried so low in the mix it was hard to understand what anyone was saying. I switched to mono and it sounded fantastic.

What BLuray did you watch that has the 2.0 track?

I thought only the 7.1 is available:

http://www.blu-ray.c...l-Blu-ray/7850/

edit: Oh, the UK release?

i wonder why the American doesn't include it.

by the way, I wish it hadn't only English for hearing impaired. I can't stand them.

And i need at least English subtitles to enjoy the movie better..

The review isn't wrong, it just isn't comprehensive. Blu-ray.com rarely lists a complete list of technical aspects regarding each film.

personally I chose to listen to the 7.1 mix.

But for other films I don't always choose the lastest sound mix. Clearly if one want's to watch Superman the Movie, the only correct choice is to listen to the original sound which has to be selected from the languages. This is the only version where the sound is unaltered and not the horrific sound restoration attempt found on all other versions.

What did they change?

the correct question isn't what did they change, it's what didn't they change.

They changed the opening credit sounds as they streak onto the screen, they changed the sound of the giant Superman S exploding on the screen, they changed the sound of the starship taking off and breaking through the glass.

If Neil were here he could probably give you a scene by scene horror story.