The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Really? I thought it was awful?

Not Capaldi's acting, but the twist that he kept wiping the memories so he could do the same speech over and over again. Horrible drama. There's nothing at stake if you can push a redo button and start over.

Its actually why I stopped watching the show.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Really? I thought it was awful?

Not Capaldi's acting, but the twist that he kept wiping the memories so he could do the same speech over and over again. Horrible drama. There's nothing at stake if you can push a redo button and start over.

Its actually why I stopped watching the show.

You keep complaining about that, and apparently others do, too. There were similar complaints about S10E06, ignoring that it was just a prelude to the next episode and actually made perfect sense.

And the reset button in S9 also doesn't remove the stakes. It's still about breaking out of an endless loop. TNG hat tons of that, and some of those episodes are among my favourites. Also, as I said before, RTD pushed plenty of reset buttons himself, he just never explained them. If you want to argue, at least Moffat makes them part of the plot.

I wouldn't rank that S9 episode among the best, but I thought it was solid, the finale was fine, and yes, Capaldi is ace.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And the reset button in S9 also doesn't remove the stakes.

That is exactly what it does! The Doctor has endless attempts to try again and again till he finally gets it right. 

What's more exciting? Hitting a bullseye with one dart, or after throwing 500 darts?

And please do not compare this to TNG. Episodes like Cause and Effect presented a temporal loop as a mystery, something the crew needed to figure out and then use. It wasnt a "clever" trick that removed all the tension from what I was seeing.

Capaldi gave his all, like he usually did. But it's just very very bad writing.

I've just started to rewatch the PC era. As a curtain-raiser, I watched NAME/NIGHT/DAY/TIME OTD.

I've gotten as far as KILL THE MOON.

My goodness, but LISTEN might just be a masterpiece.

No running down corridors, no stupid, generic overscore, no three-second cuts, no explosions, just three people, talking. The slow direction is top-notch, and the pathos is  palpable. An excellent episode.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But it's just very very bad writing.

It's really not.  It works completely.  It shows how deeply embedded suspicion and mistrust are in their psyches, how hard it is to overcome those emotions and hash out real peace.

I disagree.  That realization just made it all the sadder.  I love how sad that episode is underneath everything.  It's one of my favorite "social commentary" episodes the show's ever done.

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've just started to rewatch the PC era. As a curtain-raiser, I watched NAME/NIGHT/DAY/TIME OTD.

I've gotten as far as KILL THE MOON.

My goodness, but LISTEN might just be a masterpiece.

No running down corridors, no stupid, generic overscore, no three-second cuts, no explosions, just three people, talking. The slow direction is top-notch, and the pathos is  palpable. An excellent episode.

Kill the Moon is great.  Not a masterpiece, but it was really trying for something interesting.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's a disappointing two parter compared to almost any of the ones RTD did. It doesnt hold a candle to the Sontaran one. 

We clearly just have different Who taste, I thought that was the embarrassing low point of the Donna season.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

There's nothing at stake if you can push a redo button and start over.

I haven't seen this particular case, but this isn't necesarily true... if for example you have different stakes and the issue is really hard to crack and we see the whole process.

58 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I disagree.  That realization just made it all the sadder.  I love how sad that episode is underneath everything.  It's one of my favorite "social commentary" episodes the show's ever done.

Agreed. I don't see it so much as a "whoa, I'm shocked" surprise plot twist. It's more of a "damn, this is hard" reveal, and if anything it adds to the stakes, because there's still no guarantee that it'll work out this time.

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Kill the Moon is great.  Not a masterpiece, but it was really trying for something interesting.

I remember not liking it too much. But it's still from the time when I had general issues with the Doctor/Clara dynamic.

Season 9 was when I started to lose interest. I love Capaldi as The Doctor and Clara, despite her exclusive attraction to black men. As I recall, 9 had some real stinkers that bored the hell out of me, such as the one with the ghosts in the sea base, which was a brutal two-parter. I just remember falling asleep during a lot of these.

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Not a reboot, a revival. From 2005/Eccleston onwards, the show has been at pains to point out that it's very much a continuation.  

The first season rather left that in the middle actually. It wasnt until School Reunion that there was actual on-screen confirmation.,

The producers and the BBC have always referred to 2005 as "Series 1."  The rest of the world has followed suit.  Only pedantic sticks-in-the-mud like Richard insist otherwise.

2 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

That's what she said. 

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Before the reboot, Doctor Who was some obscure British TV show for nerds.

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Selina Kyle said:

The point still stands.

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The producers and the BBC have always referred to 2005 as "Series 1."  The rest of the world has followed suit.  True adherents to the faith, like Richard, are correct.

Sorted :D

Are you getting enough sex regularly with a consenting adult or polyurethane toy, Richard? You are a very angry person. You must channel your anger. 

The revival of Doctor Who made it more popular than they could have ever hoped it to be. It's as though the original series never existed. I can assure you the majority of Whovians these days have never watched pre-Eccleston Who.

14 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I love Capaldi as The Doctor and Clara, despite her exclusive attraction to black men.

Oh, Clara was into the women too all right. Although to the show it was more like a joke. The result being... odd.

I think so, but I also really liked last season (esp. the last 3 episodes) so my opinion might not mean much to you if you didn't like it.  Bill is certainly much more compelling than Clara.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I think so, but I also really liked last season (esp. the last 3 episodes) so my opinion might not mean much to you if you didn't like it.  Bill is certainly much more compelling than Clara.

I didn't think the last season was bad. It had its moments, and I love Capaldi's Doctor. But by the end of the season, I was just very tired of Doctor Who. So I've been pretty cautious of bothering with this season at all.

Doctor Who always has to reset at least a bit from its "world invasion" stories so that it can keep its version of Earth close to reality.

Yeah tonight's episode was not bad. The ultimate resolution was a bit wishy washy (endings are hard!) but there were some cool, very timely ideas in the episode.

Fake News Central! :P 

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Fake News Central! :P 

Yep, that was very much on point!

Gotta love the similar sentiments expressed in several TV shows at the moment.

Agents of SHIELD and Supergirl did some pretty clever ones too. :lol:

The more I think about it, the worse last night's episode becomes.  Disappointment.  A real "what nonsense did I just watch?" episode.  And just bizarre how absent the Monks themselves were from the story. Bill and Missy were both great at least.  

Basically, after the Doctor's "fakeout" on Bill mid-episode, it just falls apart.

There were some nifty ideas.  I liked the beginning of the episode when we're not sure how the Monks are brainwashing everyone to think they've always been there.  There could've been some cool "Bill and Nardole working against the Monks in secret" stuff.  But nope.

And frankly, it was odd and disconcerting that Bill getting to a place where she needed to actually kill the Doctor was played off as a joke.  Just didn't work.

20 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Are you getting enough sex regularly with a consenting adult or polyurethane toy, Richard? 

Yes I am, but recently my "friend" developed a puncture. Thanks for reminding me.

20 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

The revival of Doctor Who made it more popular than they could have ever hoped it to be. It's as though the original series never existed. I can assure you the majority of Whovians these days have never watched pre-Eccleston Who.

Bullshit, Selina.

In the early 60s, 70s, and early 80s DW was "fuck off" huge. It only started to drop when Davison left.

The single most watched episode is still CITY OF DEATH part four, with 16 million viewers. The closest new DW has come to that is VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED, with 13 million. Even when Davison left, it was pulling in 10 million viewers. What did the last episode attract? 4 million? 5 million? "More popular than they could have ever hoped it would be"? Yeah right. Sonta ha! DW has always - always - been the one of most successful shows on TV...ever. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

The closest new DW has come to that is VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED, with 13 million. Even when Davison left, it was pulling in 10 million viewers. What did the last episode attract? 4 million? 5 million? "More popular than they could have ever hoped it would be"? Yeah right. Sonta ha! DW has always - always - been the one of most successful shows on TV...ever. 

You do realize that now the Internet exists, right?