The Overregarded and Overrated

Faleel

What scores do you hear everybody talk about, and find overrated?

Independence Day (really, its pretty boring, not mixed very well either)

Tomorrow Never Dies

Tintin

Star Trek Insurrection (its the same theme/motif all the time)

Tomorrow Never Dies is definitely NOT overrated.

"Schindler's List",

"Hook",

"Legend" (give me "Link", or "Extreme Prejudice" any day!),

"Gremlins",

anything by James Horner, post "The Name Of The Rose",

Name Of The Rose is James Horner??

I don't really enjoy any of Jerry Goldsmith's work. I don't know if it is overrated or just not my thing, but I have tried to get into him...

Anything by John Williams

(Replace "America" with "John Williams")

Titanic (James Horner)

Children of Dune (Brian Tyler)

The Lion in Winter (John Barry)

"The Lion In Winter"??? Are you kidding?????!!!!!!! It's one the supreme moments in modern cinema scoring!!!!!!!!

I knew that'd rile some people up. It's a score with some strong points, but ultimately not a very interesting one in my opinion. Some good choral writing, but I have never been able to attach myself to it.

Titanic (James Horner)

Children of Dune (Brian Tyler)

The Lion in Winter (John Barry)

"The Lion In Winter"??? Are you kidding?????!!!!!!! It's one the supreme moments in modern cinema scoring!!!!!!!!

I knew that'd rile some people up. It's a score with some strong points, but ultimately not a very interesting one in my opinion. Some good choral writing, but I have never been able to attach myself to it.

I hear what you're saying. I still love it, though.

I don't really enjoy any of Jerry Goldsmith's work. I don't know if it is overrated or just not my thing, but I have tried to get into him...

Its the same here. I like Dennis the Menace, but overall, I dont like his work.

Back to the future (its good, but not my favorite by Silvestri)

Batman 89 [Returns was a better score of the two Elfmans]

XMen 2

The LOTR scores.

Now none of these are bad at all, but I dont love them as much as the rest of the world.

I'm not actually very sure what I would call "overrated", maybe anything that's too popular for its own sake, like Star Wars or LOTR; but not for the fact they are popular, because they contain some brilliant musical gems, but it does bother me when the popular overshadows the other great works. Like in Williams case, Star Wars and most of the franchise stuff seems to become the only thing the man has done, and because most people don't care to search for more, it becomes the only thing he's apparently able to do, when it's no true.

And how is it possible that I have become the only one that still loves Tintin around here?? I remember when it came out, everyone loved it... But now, everyone's talking shit about it!

Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It's the greatest of all time apparently because some Trekkies got together this one time and decided it is.

The love for TMP (the score) runs throughout soundtrack fans the world over. Not just Trekkies.

Hell, even the utter swine that call themselves Star Wars fans love it!

Among the greatest ever!

Top 10 all time score, together with ET and Jaws etc...

Jaws. Sorry, never understood that score.

Plus CE3K (the end credits are amazing, but the rest of it? Meh.)

Tintin never clicked outside of a few sequences. Same goes for Lincoln actually - I can't get into it.

Raiders - I find this one terminally overrated. The underscore just goes by for me, and much of the action is too raw and 'jumpy'.

(won't even go into Star Wars. suffice it to say that I enjoy Episodes 1 and 3.)

Others:

Godzilla - agreed on this one. Never noticed a single cue in the film.

Forrest Gump - my primary problem is thematic repetition. I don't like the three note descending theme (Sinise's character's theme?) much, and it's used again and again. Very tiring.

And how is it possible that I have become the only one that still loves Tintin around here?? I remember when it came out, everyone loved it... But now, everyone's talking shit about it!

Not everyone. We Tintin fans still exist!

I find discussions about overrated to be overrated. I mean, what are we really supposed to do?

Mutt and Jeff have movie scores. Mutt loves a score that Jeff finds overrated. Should Mutt throw it away now? Stop listening to it? Feel guilty everytime he hits play? Put it on eBay? Does Jeff have the right to break into Mutt's house at night, and delete the score from Jeff's iTunes?