BloodBoal

Is sucking ass bad? ;)

Anyway, I go with the alternate. Why? Because it would have been so much ballsier to do that. The Juno Reactor makes it feel a tad too much like a music video.

Karol

I am far from a Matrix music fanatic so this is quite new to me. I still like the Davis version better for the sheer mind boggling brass barrage. Poor players! :P

The Juno Reactor piece is not bad either.

It really depends what kind of a fan are you. From the perspective of artistic pursuits, Davis' version would be better. But from the more commercial casual point of view, the scene would probably be better served by Juno's version. The Matrix Reloaded is the only film in the series that manages to combine the song and score into one package, so that they don't feel separate. And that's also an important aspect.

I am far from a Matrix music fanatic

You'll be listening to all three scores as a penance for this insult! All week long on a loop. ;)

Karol

It really depends what kind of a fan are you. From the perspective of artistic pursuits, Davis' version would be better. But from the more commercial casual point of view, the scene would probably be better served by Juno's version. The Matrix Reloaded is the only film in the series that manages to combine the song and score into one, so that they don't feel separate. And that's also an important aspect.

I am far from a Matrix music fanatic

You'll be listening to all three scores as a penance for this insult! All week long on a loop. ;)

Karol

I would say Davis' music might have even been a tad too strong for the scene. Juno Reactor balances things out a bit better even though it is as over the top as the scene with choir and all. But as you say the balance between the songs and the score is really well done in this movie. It feels organic.

It really depends what kind of a fan are you. From the perspective of artistic pursuits, Davis' version would be better. But from the more commercial casual point of view, the scene would probably be better served by Juno's version.

That's just a polite way to say that people who prefer Juno Reactor's version are idiots. Fuck you!

Not at all, it's a polite way of saying they are a bunch of intellectually challenged philistines!

Karol

Ah I see we have a nice fight going already. Quite excellent!

Find the Juno Reactor prett tedious, like the scene itself. Too stop and start - you can see the seams between Davis's samples and the psytrance stuff. That said, I love all of Juno Reactor's other contributions to the scoe.

Don Davis' original pieces for that sequence is interesting but I've always preferred the film version more.

It's interesting though for the Chateau fight scene I've always liked Don Davis's "Chateau Swashbuckling" more than compared to Rob Dougan's version.

Despite what others think about Reloaded and Revolutions, I for one like all three films.

Don Davis' original pieces for that sequence is interesting but I've always preferred the film version more.

It's interesting though for the Chateau fight scene I've always liked Don Davis's "Chateau Swashbuckling" more than compared to Rob Dougan's version.

That's interesting. I'm the complete opposite.

That's interesting. I'm the complete

For what, the Chateau fight?

Does anyone know whether Davis notated all those crazy-rapid brass figures (esp. in Burly Brawl) or was that a form of aleatorism that was left to the players?

Does anyone know whether Davis notated all those crazy-rapid brass figures (esp. in Burly Brawl) or was that a form of aleatorism that was left to the players?

It's all notated 16th notes, lots of double tonguing, and in a very fast tempo. The four trumpets are playing a canon in four/a four voice canon (canons are a big part of Davis's MATRIX soundworld). Meanwhile the eight horns are ripping up to a diatonic cluster (sounds like G-Ab-Bb-C).

The atonal Tuben rip at 0:52 in Surprise from the first score:

tuben_rip.png

There's a small bit at 0:53 in Ontological Shock that's very similar to the trumpet work in Burly Brawl:

matrix_canon.png

The only differences are:

1) This canon is using an octatonic scale (Eb diminished) - whereas Burly Brawl is in Fm.

2) The original MATRIX has three trumpets and six horns and MATRIX RELOADED is beefed up with four trumpets and eight horns, so this is a a canon in three.

3) These canonic figures in Ontological Shock are doubled by woodwinds and strings.

Another similar canonic passage at 0:07 in Shake, Borrow, Switch.

matrix_canon_2.png

In moments like these you can really hear Davis's background as a trumpet player, and his relish in writing for brass instruments in general.

Very cool.

• 4 months later...

I prefer the final film versions of both the Burly Brawl scene and the Chateau scene over Davis's orchestral original versions. However, there is nothing wrong with Davis's versions, in fact if they were all that existed and there was no techno versions, they'd fit into the score perfectly fine and I would consider them among the strongest tracks.

But I just love the techno-orchestral fusion in the revised versions.

The Juno Reactor, by far. Then again, I was a fan of JR long before I even knew who Don Davis was, so no competition, really. That being said, I dig Davis' stuff in the films. Truly landmark stuff. He has never been able to reach the same heights before or since (well, he's barely done anything since...)

I'll always go with orchestral version. For fans of cyberpunk and alternative stuff Wachowskis have an absolutely horrible taste in electronic music. It was dated back in 2003. Cheesy.

Karol

Wrong. You may not like it, and that's fine, but none of the music in any of the Matrix films was dated when it was used.

Yea I like it all too.

But again, I think Don Davis's orchestral only version are also great, and would not been seen as missteps whatsoever if the other versions didn't exist

Wrong. You may not like it, and that's fine, but none of the music in any of the Matrix films was dated when it was used.

Well, to me it sounded a bit mid-90's, to be honest.

Karol