The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Goldsmith's 30 minute albums usually were a catastrophe, but by the time of 'The Mummy', '13th Warrior' or 'Hollow Man' he found the perfect balance. None of these scores musically would benefit from an expansion, only get more redundant. Brian Tyler's 150-minute mess is how you NOT do a good release.

I don't agree with you on The Mummy. There will be several new aspects to the score, revealed by the expansion. It's one of these massive scores, like The Lost World, that is able to afford a 100+ minutes running time.

But except this and U.S. Marshals and Air Force One, there is no OST that is in desperate need of an expansion any more.

48 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

As soon as I have the expansion, I'll tell you what I think are bottlecaps and what not.

Weren't you happy about the Powder expansion?

Brundlefly, you never were and never will be an authority on musical repertoire value. You just will keep on hoarding this stuff, which is OK - it's a product for sale - but please don't argue on musical merits.

14 hours ago, publicist said:

'Willow' is a score i'm willing to give 25 or 30$, the Fievels not. Next stop 'Perfect Storm'.

Other than the shark cue, is there really all that much missing?

Karol

A few melodic action cues and that sentimental thing called 'Sable Island'. And hopefully not the album cut of cues like 'The Decision to Turn Around', which play better in shorter from.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't agree with you on The Mummy. There will be several new aspects to the score, revealed by the expansion. It's one of these massive scores, like The Lost World, that is able to afford a 100+ minutes running time.

I thought the score was closer to 90 mins, but then we don't know what unused/alternate cues there may be.

There are several signs that I see pointing to Goldsmith wanting to distance his score from the context of the film. The album only features the longer tracks, omitting all of the shorter cues, and certainly all < 1 min cues. Also, it seems that the isolated score was moved to one of the menus late in the game (I believe the DVD back cover has a screengrab of a menu showing a normal isolated score). It would make sense for that to happen at Goldsmith's request if he wanted people to hear the score, but not with the film.

15 minutes ago, Wojism said:

Really? IMHO that score is terrible in either form once you get past the main titles.  Could be my disdain for the movie itself tainting the soundtrack. 

Every person who likes Woj's post gets put on my ignore list.  Batman Returns is a perfect score for a great movie.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Brundlefly, you never were and never will be an authority on musical repertoire value. You just will keep on hoarding this stuff, which is OK - it's a product for sale - but please don't argue on musical merits.

Unlike you I have kind of the typical collector's instinct which is compiling kind of a musical archive of certain composers. But that has nothing to do with my ability to rate musical repertoire value.

So, you don't think there are at least a few unreleased cues from The Mummy that deserve to be properly presented on CD?

And why is Powder a different case?

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Every person who likes Woj's post gets put on my ignore list.  Batman Returns is a perfect score for a great movie.

:cheer:

10 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Is there contempt for Intrada that I'm not aware of around here?..

Not really, Doug Fake's just not very good at mastering music and shouldn't be the one doing it on so many of their releases.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Soon, my JWFan experience will just be me, kasey, mstrox, probably Justin, maybe a couple others.  Batman Returns lovers stay strong!

Shut up, you're going to jail.

Looks like this title isn’t shipping until tomorrow. The good news is though that it will ship with the 7/24 release as well. So we’ve decided to announce them together on 7/17. I’ll post an additional clue for that title shortly.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=79613#p79613

I betcha the other title is Mummy Returns complete by Silvestri

What? It will ship tomorrow but will only be announced a week later? What am I missing?

Yay i can't wait

Just now, Holko said:

What? It will ship tomorrow but will only be announced a week later? What am I missing?

Probably shipped to their warehouse he means. Idk

1 minute ago, Holko said:

I thought the same.  Confusing.

Looks like this title isn’t shipping (out to Intrada from the plant) until tomorrow. The good news is though that it will ship with the 7/24 release as well. So we’ve decided to announce them together on 7/17. I’ll post an additional clue for that title shortly.

I still don't get what the "it will ship with the 7/24 release" part exactly means or why one day's shipping delay causes one week's announcement delay. So they'll just sit by them for 6 days? It's worded very muddily.

Not sure how anybody is confused by any of this.

The 7/10 title isn't ready on time.  The 7/24 title is ready early.

So, on 7/17, they'll announce both titles, and they'll both begin shipping right away.

Simple.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not sure how anybody is confused by any of this.

The 7/10 title isn't ready on time.  The 7/24 title is ready early.

So, on 7/17, they'll announce both titles, and they'll both begin shipping right away.

Simple.

Posted here free of context, "Looks like this title isn’t shipping until tomorrow." reads as "shipping out to customers" not "shipping from plant to us."

Not sure why anyone would be confused why that might confuse some people.

I'm much more interested in a Mummy Returns expansion than a Mummy expansion - and given my finances, I'd be glad that they are coming at the same time so that I don't spend on the first and not have the expendible dough for the other.  One of my favorite Silvestri scores.

I've never listened to either score THAT many times, so I'm excited to finally join the club of people who know these scores really well.  I've barely checked out the boots of either and mostly just stuck to the OSTs for each so far

16 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'm much more interested in a Mummy Returns expansion than a Mummy expansion - and given my finances, I'd be glad that they are coming at the same time so that I don't spend on the first and not have the expendible dough for the other.  One of my favorite Silvestri scores.

It is his best one really. No doubt about that in my mind.

Karol

I wonder if they would release both The Mummy and its sequel together?

That might be too much for some to handle.

Guess I'd better set some cash aside, gonna be pricey if it's both.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Posted here free of context, "Looks like this title isn’t shipping until tomorrow." reads as "shipping out to customers" not "shipping from plant to us."

Not sure why anyone would be confused why that might confuse some people.

This.

Who would read 'shipping' as anything other than shipping to customers? I'd say that's the very definition of confusing.

But... damn. I was looking forward to ordering later on. I'm not sure I'll go for Mummy Returns though. The only unreleased cue I've ever really kept from that is the end credits. I'm largely unfamiliar with the unreleased score in the film as the film is pants.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:
  8 hours ago, mstrox said:

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is his best one really. No doubt about that in my mind.

Karol

Agreed. I'd certainly upgrade both Goldsmith's and Silvestri's Mummy soundtracks if possible.

Watched it last night, there are a number of places where music could possibly have been dialed out.

Probably the cues Goldsmith was forced to compose during those lonely London hotel nights while he held his Barbican concerts (The Mummy ran over schedule because Sommers suddenly needed 30 minutes of score extra).

Yeah, there's also some those needless stingers like Broken Bottle needlessly thrown in.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Probably the cues Goldsmith was forced to compose during those lonely London hotel nights while he held his Barbican concerts (The Mummy ran over schedule because Sommers suddenly needed 30 minutes of score extra).

Where'd you get the 30 mins figure from?

Maybe if they agreed initially to score the film much more lightly, but I wouldn't say any part of the film feels overscored.

Quote from 2005:

I remember reading Goldsmith explained that what he didn't like (besides not getting the point of the movie) was being asked to write much more score than he felt necessary.

http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1440#pid9472

I wonder if there are actually loads of alternates and that the 2-CD set isn't just because the score goes over 80 mins. I can definitely see Sommers wanting changes to lots of cues and Goldsmith disagreeing.

Come to think of it, Donner asked Goldsmith he if would rewrite large parts of Timeline in a different style, and Goldsmith said he'd rather not, so Donner respected that and went to Tyler. Perhaps a similar case arose with he Mummy but Sommers wouldn't back down.