The Adventures of Tintin MUSIC Discussion thread

Jay

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Perhaps Spielberg was trying to "pull a Scorsese" with TINTIN, but I don't think he succeeded on that level. The best parts of the film are the 'moody' sequences, IMO.

I know what you mean, but I think he was trying that more with Catch Me If You Can.

Also, remember Spielberg directed some scenes from Wolf!

5 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Also, remember Spielberg directed some scenes from Wolf!

Wait really?  I never read that!

Lol not a joke, but it's only sort of true. He was on set for DiCaprio's big speech about Steve Madden and he apparently was supposed to visit for just a couple hours and ended up "co-directing" all day because he got excited about some of the zipline camera setups and watching Leo (funnily enough, Scorsese also said he visited Catch Me If You Can!)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wolf-wall-street-scorsese-dicaprio-661503

Who do you turn to for advice?

HILL: (Indicating himself.) You can be honest. (Laughter.)

Did you call Spielberg?

SCORSESE: Well, he came on the set the day we were shooting the speeches. He said he came in to say hello, and he stayed the whole day and was helping me, saying, "I think you should move the camera." (Laughs.)

DICAPRIO: That was like a double-whammy for everyone on set. Everyone who had to act that day was like, "Spielberg and Scorsese are watching me? Jesus Christ!"

HILL: We would go back to get notes, and they were sitting next to each other. It was insane.

SCORSESE: And I hadn't been on his set [since] Catch Me If You Can. Back in the '70s, we'd hang out, and we used to get [each other's] advice a lot. But as we all got older, [we] grew apart, in a way, making our own kinds of pictures.

And the beginning of this video:

Interesting tidbit. By the way, if you haven't seen it already, this is worth a rewatch as long as we're talking about this combo:

That is such an entertaining interview, especially when they get completely off-topic toward the end :lol:

The Paul Thomas Anderson one is fun too. I remember learning there that Spielberg shot Bridge of Spies in the same amount of time as Saving Private Ryan (51 days or something, to which PTA replied "Yeah, 51 days for the beach scene maybe!")

13 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

That is such an entertaining interview, especially when they get completely off-topic toward the end :lol:

The Paul Thomas Anderson one is fun too. I remember learning there that Spielberg shot Bridge of Spies in the same amount of time as Saving Private Ryan (51 days or something, to which PTA replied "Yeah, 51 days for the beach scene maybe!")

Yeah, I've seen that too. Also good, although I'm no big PTA fan. I think I've seen all the videos in the series (also the ones with Nolan as interviewer).

I could basically watch Scorsese and Spielberg nerd about about films for hours and days on end. The best parts are actually when they go off-topic, away from BRIDGE OF SPIES. Those guys are such a bottomless pit of obscure film trivia and history! Oh, to be a fly on the wall during those California beach house days where all the "movie brats" got together!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Interesting tidbit. By the way, if you haven't seen it already, this is worth a rewatch as long as we're talking about this combo:

Oh wow, thank you for posting that, it somehow got by me back in 2015.  I'm such a passionate fan of Bridge of Spies, this was just delightful.  I especially liked when they talked about Williams and the Newman family :) 

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I've seen that too. Also good, although I'm no big PTA fan. I think I've seen all the videos in the series (also the ones with Nolan as interviewer).

I could basically watch Scorsese and Spielberg nerd about about films for hours and days on end. The best parts are actually when they go off-topic, away from BRIDGE OF SPIES. Those guys are such a bottomless pit of obscure film trivia and history! Oh, to be a fly on the wall during those California beach house days where all the "movie brats" got together!

Yeah, I think Spielberg just did the two interviews for Bridge of Spies but I love browsing the DGA site too, anytime they've got an interesting director or film on there, and they usually do some pretty cool pairings for moderators. The retrospective stuff and the group interviews for the DGA Awards are always interesting too....lots of great craft talk. A little bummed that they switched from video to just audio this year, though!

And man do I agree about the movie brats....love the story of Lucas showing Star Wars to all his friends for the first time lol. Spielberg not just being the only one in the group to like it but also predicting it would be the biggest film ever, and DePalma thinking the crawl was way too long and taking it upon himself to cut it down. :P

On 6/4/2017 at 11:33 PM, Thor said:

I liked TINTIN too (just to keep things slightly on-topic), but was put off by the endlessly moving, virtual cinematography, which -- in 3D -- made me nauseaus at some point.

For me Tintin is a mess of a movie..

I think the way it was produced and filmed, shows in the film itself: Bits and pieces stuck together, without any unity as a whole.

But anyway, here's a music discussion.

I like the music as a whole (especially the main title which is not something that we often hear from Williams) - except for the Zimmerian parts..

On 6-4-2017 at 10:36 PM, Disco Stu said:

I agree, despite really liking that movie overall.  Spielberg had so much freedom of camera movement that he took it a little far.

I like that movie all the way through.

It definitely peaked my insatiable thirst for adventure in a way that the last Indiana Jones movie didn't.

As for the use of camera, I thought it was particularly clever. Some awesome dissolves between scenes too.

From my side, Spielberg showed how 3D animation can still be very creative, even now that 3D animated film are a dime a dozen.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So Spielberg is too creative now visually?

I don't know about "TOO creative". But I definitely saw a lot of creativity in Tintin.

Since I don't object to that, for me there isn't anything "too" about it. ;)

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Spielberg cant do anything right anymore. Tintin too flash, Lincoln and BOS too boring.

That's why he should mix both ideas:

The Adventures Of Lincoln: The Secret Of The Emancipation Proclamation

On 10-4-2017 at 11:26 PM, Stefancos said:

Spielberg cant do anything right anymore. Tintin too flash, Lincoln and BOS too boring.

There were definitely some "over the top" moments in Tintin, even for a comic book adaption done as 3D animation.

But I'd much rather have him do that there than in, say, an Indiana Jones movie!!!

For Tintin, it does not bother me very much and I consider it a brilliantly entertaining film still.

For Indiana Jones, on the other hand.... seriously!?!?

• 3 months later...

Hey folks, I didn't buy this originally and now I'm trying to find it at a decent price on the Bay or Amazon but people are wanting $25 or so for this, what gives?  Any other suggestions on where to buy this at a more sensible price?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Hey folks, I didn't buy this originally and now I'm trying to find it at a decent price on the Bay or Amazon but people are wanting $25 or so for this, what gives?  Any other suggestions on where to buy this at a more sensible price?  Thanks!

That seems like a reasonable price for something that isn't in print anymore.

13 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Well....

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

That seems like a reasonable price for something that isn't in print anymore.

This.