The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 Reboot film)

Trent B

Pray tell why is Doc Ock such a great villain then? Does he represent some stupid character side of Spider-Man/Peter? No. He's cool because he has eight fucking mechanical arms.

A movie dealing with the symhionte and maybe ONE additional villain, and a second movie just with Venom would be awesome. I remember a story where Peter was abducted by Venom to a deserted island, that was pretty great.

The best thing that the new Spidy film has going for it is that it has one villian. The 3rd Raimi movie was not handled well at all in terms of juggling all those bad guys, and the story arch they decided to follow for Peter was silly. If they concentrated soley on Sandman, it might have been good. There was a lot there that could have, and should have, been fleshed out.

Nolan, however, did exceptionally well handling multiple baddies in his Batman films, especially the first one.

Pray tell why is Doc Ock such a great villain then? Does he represent some stupid character side of Spider-Man/Peter? No. He's cool because he has eight fucking mechanical arms.

There's also :

Death of Captain Stacy, Bennett Brant, saved Peter's life in the Clone Saga from a lethal virus just so he could have the pleasure of killing Spidey in his prime, and put Black Cat in hospital on a life support machine; master planner.

:wave:

Nolan, however, did exceptionally well handling multiple baddies in his Batman films, especially the first one.

That's because both Scarecrow and Falcone were the muscle required to put Ra's al Ghul's plan into motion.* While the two minor villains may not have known who they were working for or what larger picture was being painted, there was an overall plot to having that number of villains in the same film.

Spider-Man 3? No such overarching plot. Sandman shows up at the same time that Venom comes to earth and that Harry Osborn takes up his late father's mantle. Any other day, Spider-Man may face no villains and just have a lot of homework that night, but today, WHAMO, three bad guys. But without any unified reason why all show up at the same time.

* Of course, that's not enough to make a case for having multiple bad guys united under a common plot. Batman and Robin?

• 1 month later...

Director Marc Webb talks about the movie to Collider:

http://collider.com/...terview/153084/

Says that he recently heard the first cue Horner composed for the film, and called it spectacular. He adds that Horner was chosen because he could do "both grandeur and intimacy." Hmmm...

I'm still a bit shocked that Horner agreed to do this. I thought he was going to take a break from scoring big Hollywood films... let alone scoring a reboot of a popular franchise.

It might be actually not too far removed from what Elfman did. I expect a kind Karate Kid kind of score. Horner's karate kid. Could go either way, to be honest. But it's nice to see Horner attached to this kind of project. Even though, he said before that he's not interested in doing Marvel movies, "because they're boring and formulaic and have no heart" and blah-blah-blah...

Karol

Elfman's two scores had good bits here and there but over all, as Steef said they were meh. Young's score for Spider-Man 3 clearly was the best of the bunch. It will be interesting to hear what Horner turns out for this reboot movie.

Elfman's two scores had good bits here and there but over all, as Steef said they were meh.

Spider-Man 2 was good, even with the temp-tracking and Elfman walking out during post. Spider-Man 3 definitely had better themes thanks to Young, but then Sony had to go and cut in Elfman's score from the previous two films. It's sad Young didn't get a score release of SM-3 out, I would've bought that too.

Webb must've gone to Horner and begged him to score Amazing Spider-Man, or Horner changed his mind.

Hefty paycheck?

That too. But with that money Horner pulled in with Titanic and Avatar, could've been something else. Maybe he liked what he saw. :whistle:

Hopefully Horner comes up with something mostly original and great. I take it that Webb hasn't heard that many Horner scores to be that impressed though.

What a silly comment.

Horner, even if somewhat derivative is still one hell of a film composer.

What he said.

Sometimes I feel that people bash Horner just for the sake of bashing him. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but its quite common.

Sometimes I feel that people bash Horner just for the sake of bashing him. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but its quite common.

I'm not bashing Horner. Horner is simply hit or miss for me. A lot of misses. When it comes to his scores i really have to think to myself if it's worthy of a purchase. I only own a few scores from him that I can count on one hand.

I love listening to Horner's music, but I have very little respect for him as a person and as a composer. Sure, it's understandable for a composer to plagiarize a bit when under pressure to produce quick results. But by this point Horner knows that he's going to have trouble coming up with an original danger theme in the future - why doesn't he take a year off from film scoring and come up with a generic but original Danger Motif? And while he's at it, a generic but original motif for all the other melodies he regularly steals? There's no reason he needs to be copying the same melodies from the same composers over and over again. It's dishonest and it's artistically lazy.

Hahahahahahaha!

Elitist twaddle. You are hilarious man.

It's not even about artistic integrity as much as it is about fairness. If I were Sergei Rachmaninoff and I poured months and months of effort into writing a symphony, I would not be okay with somebody else getting credit for it.

Horner can't be that bad. I mean, the guy composed Rocketeer and The Launch from Apollo 13.

Yeah, his scores, even the plagiarized bits, are original enough for me to really enjoy listening to most of them. But from a moral standpoint the guy's a jerk. From an artistic one, he's lazy.

Of course, not being very knowledgable of the world of concert music, even those seemingly original themes and cues could be plagiarized from something I've never heard.

• 1 month later...

Looks like it will be a really long movie too. For some reason I was expecting it to be shorter than any of the Raimi's

Well, I feel like it looks really long because the trailer showed a lot of scenes and a lot of plot points, which I feel like will take a long time to cover

I thought it would be shorter than the older movies because... I dunno why. Just a random thought I had. Like they'd be going for more simply and comic-booky and less epic-y

I might be in minority here, but I'm really looking forward to James Horner's score for this. Could be good!

Karol

There will be a "Spot A Danger Motif" contest to be held at the premiere of The Amazing Spider-man. Contest rules will be subject to changes. Please wait for further instructions.