What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

103024_large.jpg

Loved it!!

I don't know if I prefered it than the Brando version (I don't remember that much), but I thought it was an excellent film with great performance by Hopkins and Gibson, although the latter was a bit hyperbolic in the mutiny scene, as others have said too.

Although I don't usually like electronic score in period films, the Vangelis score was good too but more discreet than in 1492 for example.

Raiders is the masterpiece of the lot. Brilliant in always every way, lean, stripped down with no added fat. It's as effective as a bullet.

TOD is a fantastic roller-coaster ride in it's own way. An over the top blood-soaked tale of voodoo, human sacrifice, starvation and slavery. It's a rousing and deeply exciting adventure movie.

But while Raiders is a cousin of Jaws in my mind, TOD is like 1941's even more obnoxious little brother.

103024_large.jpg

Loved it!!

I don't know if I prefered it than the Brando version (I don't remember that much), but I thought it was an excellent film with great performance by Hopkins and Gibson, although the latter was a bit hyperbolic in the mutiny scene, as others have said too.

Although I don't usually like electronic score in period films, the Vangelis score was good too but more discreet than in 1492 for example.

How is the image quality?

103024_large.jpg

Loved it!!

How is the image quality?

I had read about some concerns but i found it great!!!

(and I'm usually very picky...)

here's a review with screenshots:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bounty-Blu-ray/103024/

Yes, very soft and the grain looks a bit weird. Must check me ol' DVD copy to compare. The review is positive about the image quality though. Maybe them pics aren't doing the Blu-ray justice.

Alex

Yes, very soft and the grain looks a bit weird. Must check me ol' DVD copy to compare. The review is positive about the image quality though. Maybe them pics aren't doing the Blu-ray justice.

Alex

They know what they're talking about, over at blu-ray.com. They take into account the intended look of the film, director's wishes of a remaster, and so on.

And yes, stills are no substitute for seeing it in motion. But it gives an idea what to expect.

The Crazies:

the_crazies_uk_quad_zpsfud3c0lv.jpg

Not good, IMO, but sort of watchable if you're in the mood for an '80s kind of movie. Nothing stands out, least of all Timothy Olyfant. Free on Netflix! 3/10

Alex

Raiders of the Lost Ark

One thing that constantly surprises me is how little the classic "Raider's March" is used. It's not played in full until the end credits, with the theme for the Ark dominating the score.

Raiders has excellent spotting.

And what is TLC? A sword?

A pen.

Kat-Dennings-Thor-The-Dark-World.jpg

Thor: The Dark World

A big letdown after the first film. The first film sets up a film series that (I had hoped) would be about a god living life on Earth and having adventures and relationship there (maybe getting help from his home planet from time to time). But instead we get the opposite here - another film where the best parts are in fact about Thor on Earth, however they are only a small part of the runtime, which mostly concerns another one of those evil intergalactic villains who wants to destroy the universe using an infinity stone. Blah blah blah.

The film is kind of caught in between being a standalone film, and a part of the larger Marvel framework. You get a lot of call backs to the first film, with all of that film's supporting cast returning, but then you also have Loki in jail and Natalie slapping him for New York and slapping Thor for not seeing her when he was in NY, etc, which only makes sense if you've actually seen The Avengers. The whole Aether thing is just felt like Marvel needed another Infinity Stone to be introduced before Phase 2 was over, so here it is. Like GOTG its evil villain will likely never be seen again.

Some of the early scenes where Jane and Darcy (the criminally underused Kat Dennings) and her intern (a funny bit there, that the intern gets an intern) discover this weird place on Earth where gravity is acting weird are fun, but then it becomes one of those scripts where things just happen because the script needs them too, too many coincidences pile up, etc. I guess Loki is kind of fun in this movie, switching sides back and forth as he did in the first movie, but the ending was confusing. How did he survive getting killed in the desert, and did he murder Odin before impersonating him or is Odin alive somewhere? In the end, I guess I don't even care.

The end credits scenes ended up being the most interesting. First you have Sif and that other guy entrusting the Aether with Benecio Del Toro's Collector character from GOTG, and it seems a bit ambiguous if he's a good guy or bad guy. They indicate the Tesseract is on Asgard, which I had kind of forgotten. Then after the credits, we finally get to see Thor and Jane Foster kiss after 2 whole movies and a third appearance of Thor in another. The slowest love story in the MCU? The final bit with the demon dog thing jumping around was pretty funny, too.

Overall, it felt like a film that had one script written and they just filmed it so it could come out at the time Marvel needed it to. Another round or two of rewrites could have made a considerable difference here. I guess its cool that Natalie Portman gets to be more involved in the plot, but everything was just all so forgettable. I expect her to do one more of these standalone Thor films then disappear from the franchise, unless they make her the Female Thor like in the comics.

Don't remember a thing about Brian Tyler's score.

I like Thor, I don't like the sequel. It's the first of the Marvel cinematic universe that I bought and sold afterwards.

I pretty much agree with you on all points, not shocking I know. :D

It's probably the worst out of all the MCU films.

I would say The Incredible Hulk takes that honor.

Ludicrous !

No! Iron Man 2!

Baloney !

Iron Man 2 is MUCH more enjoyable than Thor 2.

Affirmative !

The threat of some intergalactic dude trying to destroy the universe is lessened when every other Marvel movie has one. They should have saved that concept for Thanos only.

And Kat Dennings should have been used more in this. She had much more to do with more great one liners in the first one.

Also, the end was kind of goofy with a bunch of cgi blobs attacking each other while Kat Dennings and her intern run around with poles setting up portals or whatever.

I didn't expect them to kill off Rene Russo, that was sad. She's cool.

Can anyone explain the Loki/Odin situation at the end to me?

Glenn Close said something similar about Guardians Of The Galaxy

When attending the 18th Nantucket Film Festival, Glenn Close stated that she only agreed to star in the film since "it will then afford me to go do the other kind of movies that I really love." However, she followed it up by saying; "And hopefully I will have a great time. It'll be a new experience for me, but practically speaking it will mean that I can do those smaller movies and it'll be okay."

East of Eden (1955)

Had James Dean lived, he would perhaps become the greatest actor ever lived!

And how refreshing is to watch a film with a music score SO MUCH INTERESTING! Which itselft tells a story.