The Official Jerry Goldsmith Thread

Faleel

I know this might sound quite ignorant, but I've never heard or watched First Blood (well, I've seen maybe first 10-15 minutes). Would you recommend the Intrada album for purchase? Or is it something that can be skipped?

Karol

It's an excellent score, and if you have seen the sequels then you should already be familiar with some of the thematic material.

Beware through, unlike the second and third film, this score is more an thriller, suspense score then an ball-to-the-wall all out action score. But the theme is fantastic, and when it does go the the action music, it's superb.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently listened to The First Knight for the first time, and expected a bit more after the praise I heard for the score. The major part of the first disc drags a bit.

Also, are some of you familiar with Goldsmith's score for Lionheart?

I watched the beginning of the movie on TV the other day and found the music very nice before reading Goldsmith's credits. Is the rest of the score good as well?

I watched the beginning of the movie on TV the other day and found the music very nice before reading Goldsmith's credits. Is the rest of the score good as well?

King Richard is definitely one of Goldsmith's best efforts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XikdFShYvoM

I had Explorers on today. Is it my bias toward the music, or did the film really speak to Goldsmith on a certain level? There's so much emotion here, so much genuine excitement and sadness, it feels like he was (as Horner would say) writing from his soul.

One of his best scores for yet another terrible film.

Count me in, Chuckster312. One of my all-time favorite Goldsmith scores -

and the movie is a fun and entertaining oddity with some catchy ideas, great

actors and cinematography.

The final confrontation between Peck, Olivier and young Adolf Hitler must be

one of the most exciting scenes I've ever seen. It's unbelievably well written,

performed and edited. A masterpiece climax - that also went COMPLETELY

UNSCORED. Goldsmith and Schaffner just knew where no music is more music.

Love the waltz. Some of Goldsmith's ultimate percussion and brass moments

to end all percussion and brass moments. This soundtrack means more to me

than "Alien". Period.

This is easily one of the funniest scores I've ever heard.

(This could've worked on Rango)

I could hear snippets of Goldsmith's Patton here (making fun of himself, perhaps?)

Sounds alot like Morricone's spaghetti westerns, lol.

LOL, oh Jerry Goldsmith's parodies of Morricone's work is so freaking hilarious!!!

I had Explorers on today. Is it my bias toward the music, or did the film really speak to Goldsmith on a certain level? There's so much emotion here, so much genuine excitement and sadness, it feels like he was (as Horner would say) writing from his soul.

Probably just a good collaboration with the director. Their communications were well in sync.

The love theme from Forever Young is so heartbreaking. Jerry Goldsmith really knows how to make exquisite love themes!

(Starts at 2:23) I really like the swelling music at 6:22; gives me goosebumps!!!

The piano version is beautiful too.

I sincerely doubt that the footage you provide here is not copyrighted and legal. However, very nice rendition of Stars and Stripes. Goldsmith should have written more noble White House music, and less ape music for misguided science fiction fare promoting Darwinism and brutality.

• 9 months later...

For those of you who might not read the boutique label threads, i wanted to point out that Roger F of Intrada has announced that they have 5 or 6 Goldsmith titles coming out in March! It is being discussed here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17656&p=887450

And MV of La-La Land has announced that they are putting out a new version of The Challenge, which is being discussed here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21400&p=887427

Also of note is that Bruce Kimmell of Kritzerland chimed in to say that he is working on a Goldsmith title for Kirtzerland as well:

we will have our very first and probably very last Goldsmith title. I was going to do Breakheart Pass two years ago but Mr. Ford Thaxton convinced me not to because it had taken a pretty amount of time to sell out the first release - he also felt there was nothing to do to improve what had come before. So, that fell into the "why" category, but it seems any label will jump on anything with Mr. Goldsmith's name because he is, you know, the only composer who wrote decent film music.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=94746&forumID=1&archive=0

Jerry was a master. It takes a little more time to realize it with him than with John, but if you listen long enough it will inevitably come to you.

My favorite Goldsmith story is of his struggles writing the lush, romantic theme for Medicine Man (which makes its finest appearance—and one of his finest moments ever—in "The Trees"). He spent two weeks suffering major writer's block, going through iteration after iteration, theme after theme, attempt after attempt. Nothing worked for him. One evening, at the end of this fortnight of futility, he sat blankly looking through the few dozen themes he'd composed. At the bottom of the stack he found his very first attempt . . . and instantly he knew that was the right one. It had been there all along. He'd just forgotten about it.

And he was right. It was the best theme.

Here's one interview that clearly shows Goldsmith being such a dick.

This has got to be the single unfunniest, most pointless video I have ever encountered on the internet.

- Uni

Jerry was a master. It takes a little more time to realize it with him than with John, but if you listen long enough it will inevitably come to you.

My favorite Goldsmith story is of his struggles writing the lush, romantic theme for Medicine Man (which makes its finest appearance—and one of his finest moments ever—in "The Trees"). He spent two weeks suffering major writer's block, going through iteration after iteration, theme after theme, attempt after attempt. Nothing worked for him. One evening, at the end of this fortnight of futility, he sat blankly looking through the few dozen themes he'd composed. At the bottom of the stack he found his very first attempt . . . and instantly he knew that was the right one. It had been there all along. He'd just forgotten about it.

And he was right. It was the best theme.

That's one of the funniest things about creative process of any kind, isn't it? You always need to take this round trip. The funny thing it is almost always unavoidable. Human brain is a bizzare thing!

Karol

That's one of the funniest things about creative process of any kind, isn't it? You always need to take this round trip. The funny thing it is almost always unavoidable. Human brain is a bizzare thing!

Karol

Anyone who's ever gone through this process understands the inevitability of it. What's funny (and so relatable) is that Jerry wasn't able to see the answer until he went through the two-week process. In this case, it wasn't about creating greatness; it was about recognizing it.

- Uni

My copy of The Edge just arrived (within two days!). Bought it because of the low stock alerts and so many people say it's really good. Can't wait to find out!

Karol

Looks like the Kritzerland's release will be Breakheart Pass. Either that or another label is going to re-issue it.

Love this one, especially the train effects with the orchestra. Would have loved to have sat in on the recording sessions when they recorded the "Runaway" cue.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=3&threadID=94770&archive=0

Bruce Kimmel's post

La La Land was confused about Breakhart Pass - in fact, what is on their CD is the complete score - the "missing" cue, which has been explained by Jeff Bond in the other Goldsmith thread, is a tracked in cue in the film (The Boxcar) into one of the final scenes. So, it's all there. Time will tell what our two releases are but I do love Breakhart Pass.

FSM member's post

Hmmmmm. I think I might hold off paying those ebay prices for a bit.

Bruce's response

I would smile.gif