Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

I wonder whether Doug's been reading this thread, going for 'phenomenal':

@GoSoundtracks: @DougAdamsMusic Have you heard any of the 'Battle of Five Armies' score at this point?

@DougAdamsMusic: @gosoundtracks Yes.

@GoSoundtracks: @DougAdamsMusic

Any thoughts thus far?...

@DougAdamsMusic: @gosoundtracks From start to finish: *phenomenal*.

https://twitter.com/dougadamsmusic/status/530471063571169280

Had he been reading, he would have used AWESOMMMMMMME!

Soundclips for the giddy Shore freaks.

I wanna hold out, I wanna hold out, I wanna hold out ....

Soundclips for the giddy Shore freaks.

Darnation. I have to wait until I get back home before listening to these. A good hefty collection of over 5 minute tracks on the album I see.

So Thrain is indeed from the Desolation of Smaug EE. Wow. Some great stuff in there. Loving the return of the Uillean pipes in Ironfoot! Seems to be a lot of incidental music from the DOS soundtrack being elaborated upon, eg the escape from mirkwood buildup material appearing in "There and Back Again".

Some fabulous action music in Battle for the Mountain and To the Death. Love the development of Thorin and Erebor in The Ruins of Dale, Sons of Durin, and The Fallen.

This is going to be a great piece! Don't care much about the film, but colour me excited for the score.

Sons of Durin had me in tears after 4 seconds. I'm serious. Just magnificent.

90 minutes of actual film score (not counting Ironfoot, song, and bonus). Indeed shorter.

Maybe they're holding stuff back with Complete Recordings now in mind? Even if the film is 145 minutes with credits, we'd surely be missing at least 30 minutes of music.

Further thoughts:

Love the reprise of 'An Ancient Enemy' in Ravenhill, and the sombre glimpse of Thorin's theme in 'The Fallen'

There and Back Again sounds surprisingly...interesting. Sounds like Bilbo escape music (as heard in the Woodland Realm and apparently during his departure from Erebor in 'A Thief in the Night'). But why here I wonder?

Some great battle material spread across the tracks

Great development of the Erebor material in The Ruins of Dale

PIPES! Ironfoot sounds amazing. Is that a new theme for Dain do we think? Can't wait to see what else we hear in this track. Has to be a medley of Dwarven themes surely?

90 minutes of actual film score (not counting Ironfoot, song, and bonus). Indeed shorter.

this does not bode well if you ask me

sounds nice tho

and there is still Smaug-material in The Clouds Burst as well

this does not bode well if you ask me

sounds nice tho

and there is still Smaug-material in The Clouds Burst as well

Haven't heard the sickness theme in this preview, but I think the Dragon/Gold Sickness theme was woven into Smaug's theme, and therefore mistaken as a Smaug theme until now.

The Gathering of the Clouds features the Woodland Realm theme in the march mode just like I hoped it would, similar to the rendition at the latter half of the Beyond the Forest.

And yeah Smaug's music still seems to continue to score both Thorin's madness and the lust for gold in general I think.

The extended version is only 90 minutes long. Interesting. Either we are getting a scanter version this year or there is truly less music in the movie. I mean the end of the The Gathering of the Clouds preview clip.

Doug says the 'Dragon-Sickness' is from the DoS: EE also. Doesn't sound familiar...

From the actual film score? Don't remember anything new fitting that.

Do you remember the figure playing in The Woodland Realm, when Thranduil speaks of his gems? Is that linked to the Sickness theme? Would make sense.

Doug says the 'Dragon-Sickness' is from the DoS: EE also. Doesn't sound familiar...

Do you remember the figure playing in The Woodland Realm, when Thranduil speaks of his gems? Is that linked to the Sickness theme? Would make sense.

Could it be Thorin's Pride/Fall theme variation. It is heard in quite the same way in the troll hoard and also when Thorin speaks with Thranduil as he refuses to reveal anything to the king.

Wow the dragon sickness ostinato quite prevalent.

Could it be Thorin's Pride/Fall theme variation. It is heard in quite the same way in the troll hoard and also when Thorin speaks with Thranduil as he refuses to reveal anything to the king.

That's Bilbo's burglar theme!

OK. I thought the jury was still out on its existence.

'There and Back Again' has me very puzzled. Why is it so...dramatic? What's the purpose of the Bilbo sneaking/escaping motif there? The auction scene? Doesn't seem to fit something which I presume would be fairly light-hearted in tone.

As for the length, the film minus credits will surely be no less than 135 minutes, so I find it hard to believe 45 minutes will go without music. And rather than join the doom-mongerers and cry tracking, I'm going to surmise that they went for a leaner soundtrack, possibly to boost award chances, but more likely with a mind to doing complete recordings someday. I mean, with the EE, we could be looking at an hour of unreleased music, and that's before we even factor in film alternates and unused stuff.

It sounds like the suspense music from The Barrels Out of Bond from DoS. Strange.

It's also heard in 'A Thief in the Night', which obviously makes sense given what we know happens there.

It's also possible that this is for a flash-forward scene involving Holm as Bilbo, but even then I have no idea what it could score.

It sounds like the suspense music from The Barrels Out of Pond from DoS. Strange.

What is wrong with you people, today? First Leopard Nimoy, now Barrels Out Of Pond. Having a busy day?

Now now it is just the excitement that causes us to make these typos.

Wow I missed that it says on the sample page that Thrain is indeed from DoS EE edition.

I hope to God it's not some crazy bullshit involving Gollum...

Yeah I think Doug is mistaken with the Dragon-Sickness...but then, you'd think he'd know, right?

In case you didn't notice, the last two tracks on the #BOFA album are from #Smaug EE. And then there's this "digital booklet" … hmm ;)

It sounds like the suspense music from The Barrels Out of Pond from DoS. Strange.

What is wrong with you people, today? First Leopard Nimoy, now Barrels Out Of Pond. Having a busy day?

Now now it is just the excitement that causes us to make these typos.

Barrels Out Of Pond could have made for an interesting action sequence. With ducks and all.

Hehehe.

But after listening to the samples I am quite hyped. Those were short glimpses but you could hear that so many ideas old and new were in play in the score. December 8th can't come soon enough!

One thing is for sure. Its all AWESOME!!!

I could have not put it better myself!

I hope to God it's not some crazy bullshit involving Gollum...

Yeah I think Doug is mistaken with the Dragon-Sickness...but then, you'd think he'd know, right?

In case you didn't notice, the last two tracks on the #BOFA album are from #Smaug EE. And then there's this "digital booklet" … hmm ;)

Ah I missed that.

Digital booklet? What is this new devilry?

It's kind of hard to imagine Shore only wrote 90 minutes for this film. There were pieces missing from the two first films, but, if you discard the film vs OST issue in AUJ, nothing substantial.