So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

I think this movie is rather an odd choice for a(nother) prequel. But hey, it's Ridley. At least it isn't JJ Abrams.

I'd watch a JJA Alien movie. At least it'd have characters.

No real or memorable characters in Cloverfield. And if Star Trek is your idea of a film with strong characters, then you must be Marian Schedenig ... Oh wait!

I think this movie is rather an odd choice for a(nother) prequel. But hey, it's Ridley. At least it isn't JJ Abrams.

I'd watch a JJA Alien movie. At least it'd have characters.

No real or memorable characters in Cloverfield.

That's just a JJA production ;)

If Scott makes this film, I'm willing to bet Zimmer will end up being the composer.

I'm already begining to vomit at the thought of Zimmer completely ballsing up the "Alien" prequel! If any composer could suck the living soul out of a perfectly good film, it's Zimmer. The sooner he retires, the beter.

Have the Star Wars prequels taught us nothing?

I mean, let's face it, guys, we're far better off with the SW prequels, ain't we?! They gave us three brand new JW scores! :P:D

Perhaps Scott will drag out the ole Freud score again.

Or maybe this time he'll actually use Goldsmith's music from Alien. Or maybe he'll just cobble bits from all 4 Alien scores.

:D

Or maybe this time he'll actually use Goldsmith's music from Alien. Or maybe he'll just cobble bits from all 4 Alien scores.

That's a good point! :D

• 9 months later...

Can't wait. I've been waiting for this since I first saw ALIEN in 1988. As much as I love ALIENS, the whole ant/bee lifecycle thing really took away a lot of the alien's power for me, but since it's canon it'll be interesting to see how Ridley works with it. Interested to see if he'll really visualize the Space Jockey - as an individual or a race - as he was talking about doing.

Interested to see if he'll really visualize the Space Jockey - as an individual or a race - as he was talking about doing.

I think they are going to be a variation on the Na'vi but with advanced technology.

So, Charles, you're all for demystifying the first film?

Alex

Interested to see if he'll really visualize the Space Jockey - as an individual or a race - as he was talking about doing.

I think they are going to be a variation on the Na'vi but with advanced technology.

So, Charles, you're all for demystifying the first film?

Alex

Yeah. If it was anyone but Ridley, I probably wouldn't be. But the franchise has gotten to a ridiculous point already, so I'd like to see something that has always intrigued me (since the days of the brilliant initial Dark Horse Comics run of ALIENS). And it's just nice to see Ridley return to SF, really.

I'm not sure it can take away much from the first film for me anyway (I've already learned to ignore that kind of thing with the prequels). Even if it sucks, that movie is still absolute greatness. Even if the lights on the bottom of the Nostromo are still wonky.

Besides, it's going to be made so I can either cry foul or look forward to it. I choose to look forward to it.

• 4 months later...

Scott's Alien prequel in problems?

Ridley Scott is at odds with 20th Century Fox, the major studios behind the project over budgetary and creative differences, according to sources close to the production. It would seem Scott wants a budget of around $250m to make it a sci-fi spectacular, and is also pushing for an 18-rated level of violence and horror. Fox, however, don’t plan on investing anywhere near that sum, and are keen to get a 15 rating to maximise the audience appeal.

Scott and Fox clash

Alex

• 1 month later...

Ugh I hate it when they do this to movies like this. They did it for Die Hard 4 and botched John's famous end line "Yippee Ki-Yay Mother Fucker!" to me it was totally unnecessary to botch that famous line like that. It became the only Die Hard movie to have a PG-13 rating.

The PG-13 trend is becoming a little too popular. Easy A and The Social Network both got that treatment. It was obvious Easy A was supposed to be R, there was still a lot of stuff that surprised me for PG-13.

It's just surprising when studios are censoring David Fincher and Ridley Scott and other great directors. Would WB censor Chris Nolan?

After The Dark Knight and Inception, I think its pretty clear that WB will let Nolan do whatever he wants. They've been making all their big movies 3D since Avatar, yet Nolan didn't want to and sure enough The Dark Knight Rises will not be in 3D. A pretty good indicator that WB trusts Nolan. Fox, on the other hand, is run by that idiot Rothman so there's no hope Alien 0 won't be PG-13 most likely.

In nineteen hundred and seventy-nine, his star started to shine.

Sorry Alex, his "lucky star" shone 2 years earlier, with "The Duelists".

But that went by unnoticed because the world was blinded by Lucas who turned into a supernova.

The PG-13 trend is becoming a little too popular. Easy A and The Social Network both got that treatment. It was obvious Easy A was supposed to be R, there was still a lot of stuff that surprised me for PG-13.

It's just surprising when studios are censoring David Fincher and Ridley Scott and other great directors. Would WB censor Chris Nolan?

Taking it a step further, when I saw The Ghost Writer, I actually missed some lines in the first part of the movie because I was so distracted by the blatant dubbing over of several F-bombs.

In nineteen hundred and seventy-nine, his star started to shine.

Sorry Alex, his "lucky star" shone 2 years earlier, with "The Duelists".

But that went by unnoticed because the world was blinded by Lucas who turned into a supernova.

Sadly, I agree with you, Alex, but that doesn't make "The Duelists" any less brilliant.

Oh, I agree. The Duellists is like a dance, a modern ballet with swords and other weapons, but with meaning behind it. The visuals have a narrative of their own. It's like Ridley Scott wasn't yet sucking up to a broad audience.

Ridley's movies aren't as beautiful as they once were, and they do suffer somewhat for it. It's a double edged sword though; telling stories through images can only get you so far - visual panache must be complimented with a good script and great performances.

Then came that movie where a young man had risky business with unicorns and a red demon from hell. The star of Ridley suddenly started to flicker. Yes, the forest was beautiful ... but that was it.

True, I forgot Tim and Bottin did a good job as well. It's just that the movie is pretty weak. I still have to see the SE though. I hope the R2 Blu-ray will include it. I wouldn't mind buying it for 10 Euro. The forest looks beautiful!

I would love to score this film! I totally would bring in the Goldsmith tone. I love the sparse stark quality of his original score. Still the best of the bunch, although Goldenthal's is my second fave. I think he did bridge some of that quality to Alien3 IMO but just made it more savage at the same time. Wreckage and Rape (the opening) is still one of my all time fave renditions of the Fiorina 1 theme. It's as apocalyptic as anything I've ever heard.

I would love to score this film! I totally would bring in the Goldsmith tone. I love the sparse stark quality of his original score. Still the best of the bunch, although Goldenthal's is my second fave. I think he did bridge some of that quality to Alien3 IMO but just made it more savage at the same time. Wreckage and Rape (the opening) is still one of my all time fave renditions of the Fiorina 1 theme. It's as apocalyptic as anything I've ever heard.

Then start pulling your contacts!

Oh I can't wait to cream my boxers again seeing Sigourney in her panties again ;-)

Maybe this time you wear the Panties and she wears the Boxers? :D

Or to push the boundarys, perhaps the Alien can wear the Panties? ;)