Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

What else can we expect from someone who used to call himself Prometheus, the worst film in modern times!

Before the title was even announced! Are you suggesting I had inside information?

Edit: Alex - thank you.

Didn't he write Looper? I remember the actors in that movie talking about how ingenious the plot was. I suppose if you never watched sci-fi ever it might have seemed like it. As it is, it was an Outer Limits episode made with better actors. It concerns me that he is writing the next two movies.

You're misremembering. They were talking about how ridiculous the plot was.

Best of luck to Brian Jackson with STAR WARS XXX. I'm sure he'll do great.

Actually, the film's brilliant already.

Will he top Abraham J. Jameson's effort?

To give Sharky some credit, I think he called himself Prometheus before the movie was made. When he finally saw the movie, he changed his name. It was the proper thing to do.

It was an existing Greek tragedy. Way before your mate Wrinkly Scott used it for some B-movie.

To give Sharky some credit, I think he called himself Prometheus before the movie was made. When he finally saw the movie, he changed his name. It was the proper thing to do.

It was an existing Greek tragedy. Way before your mate Wrinkly Scott used it for some B-movie.

A B-movie with the ridiculous budget. Talking about B-movies, I think a Prometheus by Paul W.S. Anderson would've been more fun.

Ridley Scott once had a good reputation when it comes to creating strong female protagonists. I was surprised the one of Prometheus didn't deliver.

It feels weird for me to have to point it out but Ripley in Alien was a strong yet realistic protagonist. Maybe not really noticeable for the average JWfanner, but at least it had a major impact on someone like James Cameron or Alfonso Cuaron (before Ripley, space was a typical man's game). Thelma and Louise, a feminist road movie, was a game changer as well.

I don't know what it is Scott tried to achieve with Prometheus but he didn't succeed on any level, IMO. I only like one little shot in the entire movie.

Alex

You don't have to point out Alien Alex. That was the "once" I was referring to.

Hmmm Alien Alex. Sounds like a good idea for a Ridley Scott film. Or for a spiritual successor to the sitcom Alf!

ALIEN ALEX

In JWFAN, No One Can Hear You Post

That slogan has the added virtue of being true!

I don't know what it is Scott tried to achieve with Prometheus but he didn't succeed on any level, IMO. I only like one little shot in the entire movie.

What was yours? For me it was this.

prometheusv_screencap22.jpg

A skull cave?

Mine is ancient surveillance footage that you only get to see on a monitor. It showed a dozen or so bald gods being extremely scared while trying to get away. I liked that we did not you know what it was they were scared of but you knew it had to be much worse than a cutesy pie Xenomorph. The best thing about film is often about what you don't see.

Alex

A skull cave?

Just a nice tribute to Geiger's original xenomorph designs, along with his work on DUNE (i.e. the skull train). The sun beaming through the silicon dioxide reminds me of a John Martin painting.

It seems to refer to Ripley's 'child' in Alien Resurrection, not really my favorite creature of the franchise. As an image, it feels like it belongs on a album cover of Meat Loaf. Am I missing something?

Geiger's original design for the alien skull, before it got the black carapace.

Screen-Shot-2012-05-31-at-1.17.08-PM.png

Granted, what made the shot for me was skull being eroded by the sandstorm and unexpectedness of it. IIRC, the camera whips up to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rian Johnson Says Next 'Star Wars' Will Have Less CGI, More Practical Effects

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rian-johnson-says-next-star-726036

Probably to stay in line with what Abrams is already doing.

EDIT: Just realized that Johnson is referring to VII, and not his own upcoming entrees.

Does that mean the Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank spinoff films will have more leeway to break from the new norm being established in the "Official Episode" entries, or will they be expected to conform as well?

Yeah, you wonder if Disney will treat this like the Marvel films, where they all have the same general aesthetic, everything is part of the same product line, or if they'll let the spinoffs have their own completely separate identity in terms of design, cinematography, etc.

Well Kevin Feige is basically in charge of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I dunno if there is one person in charge of the Star Wars Universe. Maybe Kathleen Kennedy

Kathleen Kennedy seems fond of using practical and in-camera effects. I think she said for Episode VII, "we're going to use every tool in the box" in regards to effects. Small scale models, matte paintings, CGI, makeup, prosthetics...

Wouldn't be surprised if she mandated that for Episode VIII and the spin-off films as well.