Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Of course nothing is a sure thing, but it's not impossible that Williams will score Episode IX. He's staying fit due to all that conducting and whatnot.

My grandpa's aunt worked until the age of 98 and she's still as healthy as ever - meaning that she lives by herself, does her own shopping and cooking and takes no medicine. Some people are lucky to have a health like that!

My grandpa's aunt worked until the age of 98 and she's still as healthy as ever - meaning that she lives by herself, does her own shopping and cooking and takes no medicine. Some people are lucky to have a health like that!

That's the effects of the famous Danish air!

• 1 month later...

They're starting to shoot this summer, obviously they need to announce the crew much earlier. I'm sure Williams will be the first choice for composer, as long as he is capable of doing it

I know this might sound as a sacrilege but I'd like to hear Randy Newman's Star Wars score. Or Don Davis'.

If Williams is not interested or unable to do it, of course.

Karol

I'll start reading this thread when JW is announced as composer

He'll opt out of Star Wars next time so he can score Spielberg's 2017 films instead. I hear he has 3 dramatic films scheduled for around the time Episode VIII comes out.

I really hope not! They let Edwards keep Desplat, which is fine, but I hope Kennedy will step in and tell Johnson he has to have someone better than his cousin.

If Williams doesn't want to do Episode VIII, I hope they finally decide to bring in Giacchino.

Old Jeremy records his music at a slightly higher frequency than is standard, and sometimes using alternate scalar tunings. Lends it all a unique quality.

Why do many film composers these days feel the need to be "unique", or "innovative"? Just give us good music, for god's sake! Forget the gimmicks and focus on, you know, THE MUSIC!

It's not a gimmick. There are very interesting psychoacoustic reasons behind using different concert A tunings. And using different scalar tunings only became "unique" in the last century and a half or so. Some keys are "sweetened" by the different interval widths. It's all pretty neat. Look into it instead of dismissing it.

Christ, man. Can't you see what's happening? Can't you read between the lines? The man is hurting! He is alone, tired, and he hasn't seen diddly-squat from anybody down here. Now you're gonna stand there and tell me that he's gonna give a damn about what you do to him, *if* he makes it out of there alive? Why don't you wake up and smell what you shoveling?

The trend may have been broken... Williams isn't scoring Bridge of Spies, presumably because of his concert stuff and Star Wars taking up a lot of his time. Star Wars may be seen as more important now... maybe Spielberg has finally realized that, too. ;)

He will be amazed by Newmans score.

Just wait for the liner notes:

John Williams Thomas Newman has outdone himself again!

Bringing pathos and texture into this dark and gloomy world of international espionage in a way no other living composer could have achieved.