The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Right.

And how the aliens' attack on NYC in the first Avengers film affected the pre-teens at the time. Maybe it will tie into why Peter Parker becomes Spidey in this universe.

I got me thinking that Marvel universe can never be truly coherent. It certainly isn't in the comic books where just do whatever they like.

When I was watching Daredevil last week, it seemed not to form any coherent whole with The Avengers. Yeah, they make some references to New York being destroyed and there are a couple of comments regarding Cap America, Iron Man and Thor. But that's mostly as a in-joke. It doesn't seem to gel very well with gritty and down-to-earth (relatively) world of this series in which Matt Murdock becomes a brooding vigilante to "make a difference". Even if you assume mere mortal men never get to see any superheroes, it's still a stretch.

Karol

The links between MCU films and series are mainly plot related. That events in one film can influence the sunsequent ones. I dont think it was ever Marvel's intention to have a stylistically unified world.

If you think about it, then Tony Starks world driven largely by billion dollar corporations and scientifically engieered robotic suits doesnt really fit very well with the more mythical world of Thor, where the Earth is part of 9 realms all made up from the tree Idrasil.

We are supposed to understand that fact and move on.

Right.

And how the aliens' attack on NYC in the first Avengers film affected the pre-teens at the time. Maybe it will tie into why Peter Parker becomes Spidey in this universe.

I got me thinking that Marvel universe can never be truly coherent. It certainly isn't in the comic books where just do whatever they like.

When I was watching Daredevil last week, it seemed not to form any coherent whole with The Avengers. Yeah, they make some references to New York being destroyed and there are a couple of comments regarding Cap America, Iron Man and Thor. But that's mostly as a in-joke. It doesn't seem to gel very well with gritty and down-to-earth (relatively) world of this series in which Matt Murdock becomes a brooding vigilante to "make a difference". Even if you assume mere mortal men never get to see any superheroes, it's still a stretch.

Setting it in Hell's Kitchen is what makes it work, though, in the larger context of the MCU. It's a very targeted and specific location. Because of the type of crime happening around Matt Murdock, and because of his love for, and his history in, that one section of Manhattan, you can buy that Daredevil would be a grittier, darker, superhero that what we've seen. He's down on the streets getting dirty. This absolutely works for me within the MCU.

The links between MCU films and series are mainly plot related. That events in one film can influence the sunsequent ones. I dont think it was ever Marvel's intention to have a stylistically unified world.

A very astute analysis!

Yeah, I know all of that. But if I watch a gritty urban serie (with surprisingly strong graphic violence) it sort of takes you out of the experience if they reference alien invasion. That's all I'm saying.

Karol

I think what they've built shouldn't be stylistically unified. It's cool if it's coherent but diverse.

Agreed. Marvel really is doing everything right.

These moves are interesting. As of now, superhero comic books featuring women prominently or directed at women are the best sellers. Ms Marvel has been number one several times. Female Thor sells better than regular Thor. (???) And it's my understanding that Batgirl has been a success, at least until they changed the writer. It's a notable but reaaally slow transition in the industry, and I wonder how it will influence the film franchises.

(And in 2013, the best sellers were comic books directed at women and children that didn't involve superheroes. Plus the omnipresent The Walking Dead. That was cool.)

The market, as far as I can see, seems composed of an older generation mostly made up by white men, and a younger generation that's more diverse. So that's where the money is going to be now.

I saw some of The Last Man on Earth prominently displayed next to TWD in a bookstore, but like with long running series, it's intimidating to just pick up a middle issue and peruse it.

There have been quite a few Captains Marvel, some men, some women. Will this incarnation be Carol Danvers?

I wonder how Scarlett Johansson feels about her established and fan-liked Black Widow character still not getting her own film, but them hiring a brand new actress to play a brand new female superhero that isn't introduced yet in her own starring film.

Is she still getting paid a shit load of money and free to pursue other creative opportunities? If she hasn't been vocal against the studio yet, she's either happy enough or smart enough to not criticize the cash cow publicly.

But oh to be a fly on her wall to hear her real comments and thoughts. Or her pillow. No, definitely her soap.

There have been quite a few Captains Marvel, some men, some women. Will this incarnation be Carol Danvers?

Yes, I think it was confirmed at some point.

Indeed it was, by Feige himself.

I'm sure this is fake, but here you go anyway

SPOILER WARNING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE AGE OF ULTRON POST-CREDITS SCENE *MIGHT* BE (it's probably a fake!)

I didn't bother with a spoiler warning before because I'm sure its FAKE, but I added one now just in case.

I dunno, thought it made more sense here since it's about Spidey joining the MCU more than it is about The Avengers film proper.

And again, its very likely a GIANT FAKE so who cares?

That scene doesn't look very real to be honest. If it is, the production values of that scene don't look that great.

Joss Whedon Says Edgar Wright’s ‘Ant-Man’ Was ‘The Best Script that Marvel Had Ever Had’

http://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-says-edgar-wrights-ant-man-was-the-best-script-that-marvel-had-ever-had/

Why do I get the feeling this film will be another Thor 2 or The Incredible Hulk?

Joss Whedon regrets bringing Colson back to life

http://www.avclub.com/article/joss-whedon-regrets-he-brought-back-character-he-k-218458

Scarlet Witch will be in Cap 3 along with practically everyone else

http://www.avclub.com/article/scarlet-witch-will-return-captain-america-civil-wa-218454

And here's a 4 hour, 15 minute fan edit combining Winter Soldier with all of the relevant Hydra setup from Agents of SHIELD

http://www.avclub.com/article/fan-edit-joins-events-winter-soldier-agents-shield-218439

I have the say the Agents Of Shield started off as a weak mixture of a Whedonesque type show and Torchwood. But slowly finds its footing. The last part of the seroes, which deal with the events and the aftermath of The Winter Soldier are great pulpy fun.

It's been consistently good -not great but good - since the Winter Soldier release. I'm not sure it's 100% because of the Winter Soldier reveal, but also because, like most shows, it took half a season for show and its characters to really gel.