Interstellar SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion thread

Jay

The logic is all there Joey, and, though I hesitate to say it lest Stefan crucify me, well... you do have to think about it.

It's just surprising to me that amidst brainless blockbusters there are complaints about "complexity" of plot. My 5 year olds got it... some things even before I did.

And no Stefan, I believe Cooper. It's humans. I'm just saying it does seem reasonable to suggest other possibilities. But I don't see a point.

Yeah, i did wonder how "future human kind" was able to prevent the most powerful force in the known universe, a black hole, from tearing Coop and his robo friend apart thousands or possibly millions of miles before they even got near the event horizon.

And let's not forget that corn was our last hope? Lol. Corn can devastate the land. It's so hard on the ground. It strips the nutrients and wrecks havoc on the soil. Rotate people. The whole film has sloppy science.

Interstellar is a balloon waiting to be popped.

Joey there have been at least three eminent scientists who have given it their seal of approval.

And even so, are you this closely critical with every film, say, E.T.?

I trust you'll be as objective then....

Yeah, i did wonder how "future human kind" was able to prevent the most powerful force in the known universe, a black hole, from tearing Coop and his robo friend apart thousands or possibly millions of miles before they even got near the event horizon.

Well, theoretically, the more massive a black hole, the less powerful the tides that are pulling at you. This is probably some kind of massive black hole, so you could orbit it outside of the event horizon rather safely.

It's once you're past the event horizon that things get complicated. You could technically survive in there too, but there's no way you're ever coming out, and no information comes out of the black hole either. So yes, humanity must have done some crazy things to be able to play around with what goes in there.

Well that part was solved on their own like Romilly describes. The bigger the black hole the "easier" it is to approach safely.

Yeah, right!

I simply didnt buy that.

Hey dude there's nothing to buy, it's physics!

And let's not forget that corn was our last hope? Lol. Corn can devastate the land. It's so hard on the ground. It strips the nutrients and wrecks havoc on the soil. Rotate people. The whole film has sloppy science.

Interstellar is a balloon waiting to be popped.

Actually, this film has some of the most credible science behind it in a while.

I feel like you're getting caught up in some trivial details Joe. Like all science fiction or fantasy, you need to suspend your disbelief for a bit, especially with a detail as minor as the crops.

Well that part was solved on their own like Romilly describes. The bigger the black hole the "easier" it is to approach safely.

Yeah, right!

I simply didnt buy that.

You don't have to.

That's real physics. The bigger the black hole, the more the event horizon stretches out, and the farther the event horizon stretches, the less potent the gravitational tides are on the edge. If a black hole is big enough, you could just pass the event horizon without feeling it's pull.

Lol, whoops, looks like I'm just repeating after TGP here...

It's the film makers job to make something believable. I simply did not believe that Cooper could make it all the way inside a black hole without being teared to shreds. No matter, not even light can survive there. Theoretical physicists may have signed of on their loop hole as a concept. But simply, I didnt buy it.

You don't have to.

That's real physics.

Ok, explain to me the physics then!

Simplified Version:

That's real physics. The bigger the black hole, the more the event horizon stretches out, and the farther the event horizon stretches, the less potent the gravitational tides are on the edge. If a black hole is big enough, you could just pass the event horizon without feeling it's pull.

It's the film makers job to make something believable. I simply did not believe that Cooper could make it all the way inside a black hole without being teared to shreds. No matter, not even light can survive there. Theoretical physicists may have signed of on their loop hole as a concept. But simply, I didnt buy it.

Well yes, once you're inside, past the event horizon, you should technically be torn to shreds. If you went in feet first, the gravitational field will pull at your feet more than your head, so as you can imagine, you wouldn't last very long.

But it's very possible to orbit a black hole just outside the event horizon in a safe condition.

I'm sorry, but isnt the event horizon the point of no return? The point where the black hole's escape velocity is greater than the speed of light?

Joey there have been at least three eminent scientists who have given it their seal of approval.

And even so, are you this closely critical with every film, say, E.T.?

I trust you'll be as objective then....

ET is not a perfect film but it's not portraying supposed hard science afterall it is dealing with extraterrestrials. It should also be pointed out ET is a far better film than Interstellar. Better written better acted, better scored, better directed, just plain better.

If you want to compare it to a SS film then AI is more comparable. And Interstellar is the better film.

The physics of this film are stated to fit the film. It's all conjecture. No one knows what would happen. No one has seen a black hole up close.

I'm sorry, but isnt the event horizon the point of no return? The point where the black hole's escape velocity is greater than the speed of light?

Yup. But those conditions don't apply outside the event horizon. Which is why theoretically you can get away with orbiting the black hole just outside the event horizon and live (if the black hole is big enough).

But once you've crossed that line and you're in, then yes, you've reached the "point of no return". Nothing can get out, because as you said, the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.

Which implies that humanity ultimately figured out how to send information faster than the speed of light, which bumps down the universal constant, and starts to break down our current laws of physics as we know it......but hey, that's sci-fi for ya ;)

But it's very possible to orbit a black hole just outside the event horizon in a safe condition.

In theory ofcourse. Remember this level of physics is all theory.

Of course. I thought that was implied. ;)

We'll have to find a black hole and maybe throw you in it to see what happens!

You gotta love the posters at JWFan acting like they know theoretical physics.

Well, I'm certainly no expert, so yeah, take what I posted with a grain of salt.

Just trying to share from what bits and pieces I know...

Another thing that bugged me was how flat-footed and on-the-nose the screenplay was. The Lazarus Project and Coop raising Damon from the dead 'just like Lazarus' (grown).

And people said the Biblical references in MOS were cheesy.

And people said the Biblical references in MOS were cheesy.

Meh. That's hardly the first thing that bothered me with that film. ;)

Sorry KK Carol was being unfair in his comments to sharky.

How unfair? Sharky doesn't like Nolan and uses every opportunity to remind us just how much. It just seems strange that he even pays for a ticket to see his film - it sort of fuels a very box office that encourages another one to be made. Is it a masochism of some sort?

But he did answer my question, didn't know he expected go get anything from this film.

Karol

Me too. Okay so here is my theory as to how Cooper can fall in the black hole without getting torn to shreds. Maybe it's like the way the fragile jellyfish can survive thousands of pounds of water pressure per square inch at great depth. It is because the jellyfish is mostly water so it has the same pressure inside and out. So maybe Cooper is getting pulled to shreds in the same amount that space time is getting pulled to shreds. So from his point of view it's all normal. To an outside observer he's no longer visible after he passes the event horizon.

How unfair? Sharky doesn't like Nolan and uses every opportunity to remind us just how much. It just seems strange that he even pays for a ticket to see his film - it sort of fuels a very box office that encourages another one to be made. Is it a masochism of some sort?

But he did answer my question, didn't know he expected go get anything from this film.

Karol

So he isn't a fan of Nolan he still has a right to go see a movie when he wants without your questioning him. If he had liked the film you would not have said what you did. And that is why you're unfair.

I had my hopes raised by Paramount-Warner Bros' secret weapon - TheGreyPilgrim.

:lol:

Karol

His ejecting from the spacecraft while being squashed by the pressure of a black hole was also unbelievable and preposterous.

Karol

So he isn't a fan of Nolan he still has a right to go see a movie when he wants without your questioning him. If he had liked the film you would not have said what you did. And that is why you're unfair.

Just because he sees the film doesn't mean I can't comment on it (or ask genuine question, for that matter). You're being unfair. ;)

Karol

Me too. Okay so here is my theory as to how Cooper can fall in the black hole without getting torn to shreds. Maybe it's like the way the fragile jellyfish can survive thousands of pounds of water pressure per square inch at great depth. It is because the jellyfish is mostly water so it has the same pressure inside and out. So maybe Cooper is getting pulled to shreds in the same amount that space time is getting pulled to shreds. So from his point of view it's all normal. To an outside observer he's no longer visible after he passes the event horizon.

Other than the last statement, I'm not sure it'd work like that. But again, TGP can probably do a better job of explaining it than myself.

The point is, the film maintains scientific credibility up until the point he crosses the event horizon, and that works because that's just about as much as we really know or have theorized about black holes.

We still don't know what really happens once pass the event horizon, so it's perfectly fine to establish that humanity at one points figures it out, with whatever other miracles and properties that come with this proposed fifth dimension. We're to assume that their ability to harness the fifth dimension allows them to distort space-time in ways that are just beyond our imagination at this point. This is the premise set up by the film. As long as it coheres to its own laws, it works.

It's called science-fiction for a reason guys. ;)

Any comments on the characters outside of Cooper and Murph?

The film was well cast, but the characters did feel a bit thin. I never fell I got to know who Emilia Brand was. John Lithgow's role was good, mainly because of Lithgow, same with Caine.

Also I didnt feel anything when the two crew members died, they kinda felt like red shirts to me. There to bounce dialogue off an, and to eventually die. I cared more about the 2 robots then them.

I had my hopes raised by Paramount-Warner Bros' secret weapon - TheGreyPilgrim.

ROTFLMAO

Any comments on the characters outside of Cooper and Murph?

The film was well cast, but the characters did feel a bit thin. I never fell I got to know who Emilia Brand was. John Lithgow's role was good, mainly because of Lithgow, same with Caine.

Also I didnt feel anything when the two crew members died, they kinda felt like red shirts to me. There to bounce dialogue off an, and to eventually die. I cared more about the 2 robots then them.

Lithgow was good and Caine was really good too (one of his better Nolan roles I felt).

I have mixed feelings about Brand. Hathaway plays her really well, but her character does seem more like a plot device at times.

Lithgow was good and Caine was really good too (one of his better Nolan roles I felt).

I have mixed feelings about Brand. Hathaway plays her really well, but her character does seem more like a plot device at times.

This is why the ending didnt quite work for me. Cooper goes out solo to save Brand, yet throughout the film they don't really seem to have much of a band.

Lithgow does seem wasted. Caine is really weak. Wes Bentley is wasted. He would have been better cast as Mann. Damon is awful. His character is so stupid. Sorry but a trained astronaut does not make his mistake. The fact the first two planets don't even have breathable atmospheres is something we should all focus on. Sorry but cross them off instantly. The way they chose to pick and choose their science is annoying. The relativity of time was definitely toyed with.

Still the film has garnered many pages here which is something to be said.

Like I said, who has the time? I have to come to terms with the huge fault that is seeing uninformed opinions and feeling the overwhelming need to inform them. I can't keep up the missionary of non-stupidity thing. People think what they think and I can't make it my job to tell them why they're wrong any more than I already have.

Ah the classic taking it personally accusation.

No, I'm not. Spare me the armchair diagnosis, guys.

But as I enjoyed it I'm inclined to look hardly at people who didn't to understand their reasons. In some cases I have been able to, and in others I haven't. And it has nothing to do with having read a script or anything. It has to do with imagination and common sense.

What's not healthy is the eagerness with which some of you jump on me over this. It's genuinely disturbing. Maybe it's that I tend to be confrontational when I don't see where someone is coming from. But it's not my fault if you reply in kind.

What's not healthy is the eagerness with which some of you jump on me over this. It's genuinely disturbing.

Surely you mean that in jest? Genuinely disturbing would be to receive death threats from anonymous JWFanners through the mail, each letter splattered with blood.

The only reason this is happening is because you're the film's most ardent apologist. If you took a more live and let live approach and stopped defending it like a mother cat, there'd be none of this aggro.

You hardly need to complain. I recall your very self denigrating differing opinions by linking them to several less-than-desirable character traits while your own opinion of course is validated by most positive connotations.

It's hardly an uncommon tactic for many internet debaters, regardless of intellect.

And as I said I recognize that. The urge to point out fuzzy thinking about certain things is strong and only serves to apparently bother people.

And yet why should ardently defending something cause aggravation? Live and let live is always fine and dandy to promote when you don't have much of a stake in the conversation. But I enjoy knowing what people think and why, and calling it bullshit if it seems to go beyond true opinion into nonsense. If *others* take that personally and feel the need to lash back in whatever way instead of actually defending what they think, and demand an end to conversation so we can all "live and let live", well, yes, that actually is disturbing.

You hardly need to complain. I recall your very self denigrating differing opinions by linking them to several less-than-desirable character traits while your own opinion of course is validated by most positive connotations.

It's hardly an uncommon tactic for many internet debaters, regardless of intellect.

The thing is, I'm sure I've never been serious about it. I don't share that certainty with others.