Pixar announces Toy Story 4 coming 2017

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

That's an odd way of phrasing the plot, as that makes the film sound more like a prequel than a sequel. The film is about Woody and Buzz finding Bo Peep, since she was absent in Toy Story 3. That doesn't sound unnecessary to me.

'Toy Story 4' Sends Buzz and Woody In Search of Bo Peep

Toy Story 4 - John Lasseter Interview

Woody and Buzz go out to find Bo Peep and bring her back.

I think the idea sounds great, and I think it has a lot of potential. I enjoyed Toy Story of Terror! and Toy Story That Time Forgot and the other Toy Story shorts, and I'm excited to see these characters again.

One day, I swear to god, the cinema industry will let franchises have a real, definitive ending, not the one we're being sold with each third film in a series "Our heroes go on an adventure... ONE LAST TIME", which is then followed by 15 sequels...

Yes, the little shorts and tv specials that have followed Toy Story 3 have all been good and not tarnished the legacy. But another official full sequel is just not necessary.

I think it's just every new sequel adds risk. The first one didn't need a sequel at all but they made it work, continuing the story to a natural conclusion. Then they announced a third one which if anyone remembers had tons of skepticism, nobody wanted it and they still made it work. The ending to 3 was so right for the characters and what had been set up thematically in the other films, you look back and think "Oh yeah, of course that's what really needed to happen eventually." It gave those first two an entirely new perspective.

So on the one hand, I want to have faith that they'll do it yet again and somehow make 3 feel like a penultimate installment rather than a definitive ending, like what 3 did to 2, and what 2 did to 1. That should really be the goal with any sequel, like it was planned all along, but it just seems like they've got their work cut out for them with all the closure in 3. Why do we really need to see them now go off and do a Bo Peep story? Maybe they have a good answer to that, hopefully they do, but it's hard to tell.

3 brought a perfect closure to the Andy sorry. We don't need a new trilogy about the toy's new owners.

I agree, but I'll at least give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it, since I personally thought 3 was a terrible idea and was proven wrong. If this turns out to be any good, then they're probably going to have to make us suddenly do a 180 and think "Oh, of course these movies were never really about Andy, 3 was just the final necessary step before the real point!" and I don't know how they'd do that.

Toy Story 2 and 3 were good movies.

Yes, so?

3 brought a perfect closure to the Andy sorry. We don't need a new trilogy about the toy's new owners.

We didn't need the second and third film, either. Especially the third, which came years later, somewhat out of the blue. They were both very good though. Who says the 4th will be bad?

I agree that #3 *seemed* to have a kind of "final" ending. But consider this - and I'm not saying this was the original intent: If you've made three films in the same setting, and want to be able to have more reasonably original stories in the same universe, doesn't tne ending of #3 also set up the perfect beginning?

• 1 month later...

That reminds me:

I'll know when Toy Story 4 is in theaters when I see vultures circling over my local cineplex.

• 7 months later...

Andy's back story?

He was like.. 8 in the first film?

Come on. This makes no sense since there is NO WAY Buzz lightyear won't be in a Toy Story film.

The article doesn't say its set before the events of Toy Story 1, simply that Andy's story will be touched upon during the course of the film.

I'm sure the film begins with the toys living in the house of that new girl they ended up at at the end of Toy Story 3 (since all the post-Toy Story 3 shorts have been set there).

I just don't get why anyone would think it was a good idea to bother to even reference Andy at all instead of them just having a new adventure there.

Of course, I don't think this film should exist at all and that there's no reason to mess with a perfect trilogy, so what do I know

Well obviously.  But going into Andy's backstory doesn't mean the film will make more money than if it was just a new adventure with the new owner.  Which is why I'm wondering why they are going that way.  Perhaps they couldn't think of anything else.

I hate love stories. I'd prefer a story revolving around Andy's family then some romance between Woody and Bo Peep.

Plus, this quote from Jay's link hasn't been particularly well observed lately:

At Pixar and Disney, we only make sequels if we come up with a story that’s as good, or better than the original.

Yea, its such a BS line.  Cars 2 and Monsters U were clear cash-grabs and not amazing new story ideas that could only be told with those characters.

Toy Story 2 started as a cash grab but ended up being good, then the same thing happened with Toy Story 3.  I think they struck lightning in a bottle twice and they're gonna have a big disappointment with 4 and should have let the franchise end gracefully.  Oh well.

Maybe Andy has a childhood nostalgia fit and sieges the girl's house to retrieve his lost toys... EPic!.....

Who hasnt wondered, at least once, 'why didn't I keep that cool toy-item-thing from my childhood...

On 23/05/2016 at 4:54 AM, Jay said:

Toy Story 4 will reportedly focus on Andy’s back story

WTF?  The toys have a new owner now.  Why are we going back to Andy?

This sounds terrible.

Quoted from the article:

“At Pixar and Disney, we only make sequels if we come up with a story that’s as good, or better than the original.”

That be some selective memory right there. Explain the direct-to-video sequels, please, Disney.

Direct to video is a different market and different audience. 

On 06/11/2014 at 10:20 PM, publicist said:

You are right - but honestly, except for watching stuff like this with children, preferably your own, does any grown male here really has much of a desire to watch stuff like that?

Not at the cinema anymore, no. However I would probably happily settle into a good one on some streaming service if there was nowt else on. As far as the children go I'd refuse to take them to the cinema to watch some crap like Angry Birds, coercing them instead to watch something else. Having said that, I took them to see Inside Out and I didn't like it anyway. 

The first half was slow but the 2nd half was magic.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What was it about Inside Out that you didn't like?

It was possibly that it was about childhood angst and aimed at children and at their level. I was bored. 

Mike I can't like your post because that is so sad. However I admire you immensely. 

• 2 years later...

I thought Toy Story 3 was as perfect as a close to this series as one could hope for, but nonetheless I'm very much looking forward to this.

Pixar is going to make me emotionally invested in a talking spork and then use him to rip my heart out, aren't they?

10 minutes ago, John said:

Pixar is going to make me emotionally invested in a talking spork and then use him to rip my heart out, aren't they?

Yes, yes they will.

Still, an unnecessary movie. 

Honestly, I thought Toy Story 3 was unnecessary, but that doesn't mean I'm offended that they're making a fourth one. I'll see it because it's Pixar. If I find it was worth my time, great!

On 11/7/2014 at 4:20 PM, publicist said:

You are right - but honestly, except for watching stuff like this with children, preferably your own, does any grown male here really has much of a desire to watch stuff like that?

Hi.