Williams' Fenway Park Fanfare

Tom

Are there any proper orchestra's in Finland?

YES THERE ARE, PASI'S INCLUDED!!! :stick:

I made my orchestra to purchase the Fanfare for Fenway. Will be peformed in the brass concert next spring.

When is this concert?!!!

Yes of course, both the classic repertoire, new commissions and even an occasional film music concert. This year marks the 150th year since Sibelius's birth so naturally there are many concerts dedicated to his music.

YES THERE ARE, PASI'S INCLUDED!!! :stick:

I made my orchestra to purchase the Fanfare for Fenway. Will be peformed in the brass concert next spring.

When is this concert?!!!

I think it is not scheduled yet, the concert will be during our opera period, February 2016.

The good thing is, that our chief conductor mr. Rouvali promised to do it so it will at our main hall(1800 pers) and probably full house.

The Espoo orchestra that played film music two years ago was surely quite capable. That's about the only Finnish orchestra I've seen live.

Well, they are quite good but it's rather small ensemble. Sinfonietta like.

And I'll be happy if someone knows some other Williams fanfare which would be available to buy. We are 6 horns, four trumpets, four trombones and tuba + percussion.

We still need a proper orchestral recording of this. All we have is band versions and various crummysounding stuff.

This piece is not scored for orchestra, but rather for brass and percusssion. It's a band piece! So how can one ask for a "proper orchestral recording"?

Also we have the premiere, that still as a decent sound (though I know people around here hate live recordings), and a astounding performance recorded, in studio, by the US Coast Guard Band, readily available for download on their site.

I know it's written for band, but it's still a type of piece I would love to hear in an orchestral arrangement. Like the "For the President's Own" piece. If nothing else, because it's a type of fanfare that I think would fit such a setting.

I know it's written for band, but it's still a type of piece I would love to hear in an orchestral arrangement. Like the "For the President's Own" piece.

"For the President's Own" is written for winds band too. Indeed the title of the piece itself refers to the US Marine Wind Band!

Thor, for someone who respects a composer's wishes so much you think their OST arrangement is the only thing that should ever be released for one of their film scores, its pretty hypocritical to want them to also re-write their compositions to be more to your liking!

Thor, for someone who respects a composer's wishes so much you think their OST arrangement is the only thing that should ever be released for one of their film scores, its pretty hypocritical to want them to also re-write their compositions to be more to your liking!

Geez....way to over-dramatize a simple sentiment. I don't see what one has to do with the other.

If one can reduce an orchestral cue to a band arrangement (which is done all the time), what's so wrong with building a band cue to an orchestral arrangement? I would be curious, that's all. I have no issues with the original band arrangements of "Fenway" or "President's Own".

Well in Thor's defense, expanding an original soundtrack album into a complete and chronological album doesn't *usually* require the creation of new material. It's simply a re-edit and disclosure of existing already recorded material.

But requesting the adaptation of a band piece for orchestra is to ask for a new piece of music to be written and recorded. And that's the keystone of all you zealous Williams fans. Score this, score that,write a theme for this or that

Are you serious with response?

You really don't see your own hypocrisy here?

No, I don't. How is having a preference for a certain type of organization of cues on soundtrack albums have anything at all to do with desiring multiple interpretations and arrangements of a concert piece? I'm afraid the only thing I see here is you trying to grasp at straws in an effort to expose some grand inconsistency that you think exists in someone's preference that is different from your own.

The only thing I said is that I would have loved to hear this (and, in fact, most pieces written for band) arranged for an orchestral ensemble, out of curiousity's sake. I didn't realize that was some enormous controversy.

So do you prefer the orchestra version of Johan de Meij's Lord Of The Rings piece or the original band arrangement?

Never got around to that. Does it exist in both versions?

Thor. maybe you're not understanding me correctly.

You constantly proclaim that only the composer's self-arranged album should be released, and that an outside producer should not be allowed to come in and make a new CD arrangement with access to the complete recording sessions.

But now you're also saying you want a composer to take a composition he wrote and intends to only be played by a brass ensemble, and turn it into a full orchestral arrangement, just because you want to hear it that way.

This does not compute!

Which is it - do you want to fully respect the composers wishes, or are people allowed to change a composers wishes? You can't have it both way or all your arguments fall completely apart!

I still don't see what one has to do with the other. The soundtrack album issue deals with the organization of cues into a coherent listening experience (which, btw, can also be done by a savvy producer that is not the composer as long as 'listening experience' is the guiding factor). The other issue deals with the compositions themselves, which is a totally different thing. Not to mention that we're talking film music and classical music. I'm obviously all for multiple interpretations of cues, whether film or classical.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent Pasi! I wasn't able to come this time but if you perform Escapades or some other JW piece I'll hope to be there :)

Obviously Stefan is following the adage "picture or it didn't happen".

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, pete said:

New recording maybe? Anyway, new to YouTuibe and the montage was Williams' idea...

Thanks for posting. I'm betting this was recorded ahead of the premiere at Fenway Park. Back then there was a very short video snippet of this being rehearsed at Symphony Hall and mics could clearly be seen. 

Gotta extract this.

hmm trying to download the mkv video with videodlhelper messed up my computer. It created a file that won't play and couldn't delete .I had to boot in safe mode to delete it

8 hours ago, pete said:

New recording maybe? Anyway, new to YouTuibe and the montage was Williams' idea...

Any chance someone can PM me with just the music in MP3 quality (possibly 320 kbps; if not, in good quality sound)? I have an inclination that this was not just recorded by the Boston Pops, but conducted by the Maestro himself. I remember that snippet that was seen and heard of the Maestro conducting the beginning of Fanfare for Fenway; I believe this is the entire recording.

I want to like this piece, but I just don't.  The beginning is nice, but I find it a bit annoying overall.  Maybe its a baseball thing, which I also find annoying--well, if boring is a kind of annoying.  

Now it's a 1080p ADP video and i seem to be able to grab it. Wonder why it  was a messed up  MKV earlier.

The Opus audio in it cuts off at 11 khz...which is abysmal quality. Like a 64 kbps MP3  and I don't see any better file embedded in the YouTube page :(. Boston Pops Intern # 4 seriously messed up the audio . Can someone with a youtube account comment about that?

i thought it sounded pretty bad...

Boston Pops at Home Fenway Fanfare - YouTube.webm.png

10 hours ago, Tom said:

I want to like this piece, but I just don't.  The beginning is nice, but I find it a bit annoying overall.  Maybe its a baseball thing, which I also find annoying--well, if boring is a kind of annoying.  

I love this piece! I have performed it and if the tempo is fast enough, the energy is incredible in the live performance. The audience also loved it. 

14 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Any chance someone can PM me with just the music in MP3 quality (possibly 320 kbps; if not, in good quality sound)? I have an inclination that this was not just recorded by the Boston Pops, but conducted by the Maestro himself. I remember that snippet that was seen and heard of the Maestro conducting the beginning of Fanfare for Fenway; I believe this is the entire recording.

I'm ready to bet everything on that this was conducted by Williams himself.

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

The Opus audio in it cuts off at 11 khz...which is abysmal quality. Like a 64 kbps MP3  and I don't see any better file embedded in the YouTube page :(.

It's also in mono.

Must  be a mistake right? They can't have done this on purpose

Can someone please post on the YT comment:

Dear Boston Pops.  The audio in this video has a frequency cut off at 11 khz and is in mono. That is not even the quality of a 64kbps MP3 and  beyond abysmal. Please fix it. 

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Must  be a mistake right? They can't have done this on purpose

Can someone please post on the YT comment:

Dear Boston Pops.  The audio in this video has a frequency cut off at 11 khz and is in mono. That is not even the quality of a 64kbps MP3 and  beyond abysmal. Please fix it. 

Why don’t you?

I posted a request in the comments to re-upload the video with the audio in stereo. I don't know what good it will do, though. Why doesn't someone who has a Twitter or Facebook account post directly to the Boston Pops via Twitter or Facebook (I don't use either, so I can't do it)?

13 hours ago, moi said:

I love this piece! I have performed it and if the tempo is fast enough, the energy is incredible in the live performance. The audience also loved it. 

Yeah, I could see how it would be fun live.  I will credit Williams, for I love just about every other of his fanfares.  This tells me it is not rehash but something new.  I am glad others like it.  

ROTFLMAO

was it you who posted my comment?

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I posted a request in the comments to re-upload the video with the audio in stereo. I don't know what good it will do, though. Why doesn't someone who has a Twitter or Facebook account post directly to the Boston Pops via Twitter or Facebook (I don't use either, so I can't do it)?