What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's not a movie, it's a video game.

Tron Legacy is a video game. Guardians is good old fashioned Saturday Matinee Fantasy.

When i grew up, fantasy didn't consist of hourlong deafening battles between obviously computer-generated space-and-what-else-ships without any kind of story advancement or logic behind it - even KRULL had a better final 30 minutes than this.

That's a problem for Winter Soldier or Avengers as well. Like I said, they need to find a solution for that.

That's not a problem, that's a showstopper. But you are right, i'd rather watch 20 reruns of Pinkie & the Brain than another Marvel film.

I'm sure it will. And again it will make me 'stop' watching the 'show'.

Anyway, I think Guardians did a lot of things right that was missing from that other famous Saturday Matinee show , namely 'The Star wars Prequels'.

Captain America : The Winter Soldier - OK yes, the 'huge fight while everything explodes' ending is becoming over-used by Marvel movies. But this otherwise rolls along just fine, with excellent action sequences and a pleasing conspiracy-thriller element thanks to Robert Redford's slippery turn as Alexander Pierce.

Agreed on all accounts.

I actually think I've enjoyed the Cap movies the most of the 'solo' franchises ... The First Avenger had a nice Raiders-esque vibe to it. The subsequent Iron Mans weren't as fun as the first, and the Thor sequel was a disappointment after an enjoyable first instalment.

Not sure if there's any intention to try to get Hulk 'up and lumbering' on his own again, but I don't think so. Or if there are any plans for individual Black Widow and Hawkeye flicks, but again I don't think there are.

Are there any films from the sixties, seventies and eighties I really need to see to broaden my youthfully narrow perspective on film? Publicist, Alexcremers, other in-house critics, any recommendations?

Based on Wikipedia's recommendations and film score interest, I've already assembled this meager list, but any suggestions are very welcome (even if you'd suggest me to remove a film from the list). I've already seen the films with bold titles, but I want to see those again.

Note: I didn't create a new thread for this question because this is a thread discussing older films, anyway.

1957 - THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

1957 - THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN

1959 - BEN-HUR

1960 - SPARTACUS

1960 - PSYCHO

1961 - THE GUNS OF NAVARONE

1961 - BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

1962 - LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

1962 - DR. NO

1963 - FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

1963 - CLEOPATRA

1963 - JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (?)

1965 - DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

1966 - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

1968 - 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

1968 - BULLIT

1968 - PLANET OF THE APES

1969 - THE REIVERS
1972 - THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE

1972 - THE GODFATHER

1973 - SCORPIO

1973 - DON'T LOOK NOW

1974 - THE TOWERING INFERNO

1974 - EARTHQUAKE (?)

1975 - JAWS

1976 - THE OMEN

1976 - ROCKY

1976 - FAMILY PLOT

1977 - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

1978 - SUPERMAN (I've seen about half of it, excuse me)

1978 - THE LORD OF THE RINGS

1979 - DRACULA

1979 - MOONRAKER

1979 - ALIEN

1979 - STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

Add DON'T LOOK NOW, Fellini, Visconti, Truffaut (i post some good starters later). A lot on this list of yours is OK commercial filmmaking one can watch without puking but hardly essential (FAMILY PLOT, THE REIVERS, TOWERING INFERNO and EARTHQUAKE are no must-sees).

Those are primarily on there for the Williams scores, really, and the last two for their cultural significance as well, being part of the 70's disaster film series.

Yep, most of them are well-known classics. And at least three of them are in my favorite movies top 20 (2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Rocky)!

Scorpio? Serpico, of the same year, is the more loved one.

While that might be true, I give them the same rating. Guardians had fantastic other-worldly places, an amiable group of characters, humor, ... those things are worth points too. If every Marvel movie is a good as Winter Soldier and Guardians, then I won't complain. They just need to find a solution to replace the giant air battle climax. It could turn a 7/10 movie into a 8/10 movie.

Alex

I don't recall any very otherworldly places in GOTG. The main reason I was disappointed with it.

Is the fossilized hulk of a dead space monster turned into an alien bazaar something you can see every day? Remind me to never vacation in your neighborhood.

Well what I want to know is this. If you had all the songs from GOTG soundtrack on a cassette or eight track back in the day, would it be as popular, successful, or cool as it is now, or did the movie refocus the song set into coolness?

Captain America : The Winter Soldier - OK yes, the 'huge fight while everything explodes' ending is becoming over-used by Marvel movies. But this otherwise rolls along just fine, with excellent action sequences and a pleasing conspiracy-thriller element thanks to Robert Redford's slippery turn as Alexander Pierce.

Agreed on all accounts.

It's the best Marvel film but not quite there yet.

I thought the thing about the big transparent domes under the ships was dumb and that they went overboard with Cap's capabilities.

I would like Age of Ultron to have a different sort of climax, but I have no idea if they'll ever do that,

Those are primarily on there for the Williams scores, really, and the last two for their cultural significance as well, being part of the 70's disaster film series.

As i said, you can watch em all, but if you want to get a grasp on cinema you should move beyond solid Hollywood craftmanship. Try IL GATTOPARDO (Visconti), BREATHLESS (Godard), JULES ET JIM or THE 400 BLOWS and LA STRADA or DOLCE VITA (Fellini) . Those give you more perspective on aesthetic and narrative changes in Hollywood movies, as well.

If you like comedy, british Ealing comedies with Alec Guinness are always a delight...

It's the best Marvel film but not quite there yet.

Et tu, Chaac? Et tu?

Sure, but none of it really *looked* all that special. I never felt very awed.

Strange! I remember a lot of beautiful non-Earthly environments. It was one of the reasons why I enjoyed Guardians. Maybe I didn't expect that. I remember thinking, "Hmm, no way they built that, this set must be CGI... and yet it's beautiful."

Sure, but none of it really *looked* all that special. I never felt very awed.

Strange! I remember a lot of beautiful non-Earthly environments. It was one of the reasons why I enjoyed Guardians. Maybe I didn't expect that. I remember thinking, "Hmm, no way they built that, this set must be CGI... and yet it's beautiful."

Could be expectations, yes. For all the talk of how rich and vibrant it would be, I saw only the usual futuristic Earth-like worlds and grimy industrial scifi underworlds.

I'll see it because at this point of the year my list of possibly watchable films is really small. And Whedon's punchlines.

I mean... there's... Star Wars... even though I dislike most I've seen from Abrams... and huh... Crimsom Peak? And Mad Max... even though it has that ridiculous orange tint... and Mission: Impossible... ah, whatever.

Yeah I meant 2015 films.

I barely saw anything from 2014.

-Interstellar (films goes around in circles and I hate the whole Power of Love trope)

-Edge of Tomorrow (extremely entertaining, but the ending makes no sense)

-Guardians of the Galaxy (works only partially)

-Maleficent (because my girlfriend made me see it... I liked the score...)

-The Winter Soldier (the only Marvel film that made me tense seeing it. It's a pity it doesn't finish what it starts)

I don't know. Then there's the funny thing where I wanted to see Birdman but the Oscar thing makes me have second thoughts about it. Maybe I could see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Song of the Sea or Big Hero Six. I'm barely aware of any non-American film from last year...

The film itself still says Edge of Tomorrow on home media. They just put Live Die Repeat in large letters on the front cover.