Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the principle behind why JJ is like that is a good one. He wants to preserve the magic and mystery of cinema. But he doesn't always handle it in the best way, if there even is a good way at all with the internet existing.

• 5 months later...

He took his "mystery box" philosophy too far. It's worked in other things but not here.

It didnt work out because people have been thinking "KHAAANNN" ever since the rumors about Benecio Del Toro being cast first appeared.

And JJ spent over three years denying something that was ultimately true.

I went Into Darkness spoiler free,and at no point did I not think they weren't re-using Khan. It was just too obvious.

• 1 month later...

Paramount is finally issuing a 2disc STID BD with all the special features that were previously separated out to different retailer exclusives, but it's bundled with the existing 2disc BD of ST09

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062314_0600

startrekcompendiumlargebrd.jpg

I guess it depends on how important all of those extras are to you. Is the commentary just a strung-together audio from interview sources? I assume so based on the number of participants.

I don't own either of these. Might as well get it now before Orci makes it worse ;)

• 1 year later...

Didn't know (or didn't remember) Benicio Del Toro was originally going to play Khan. He would have been more fitting for the role, methinks.

I actually really like the character *before* the reveal. Once you know he's not Harrison, its like "Why even bother"?

I think poorly of the TWD writers for pulling that one.

I just wish JJ wouldn't be so damn secretive about every movie he ever does. It's certainly good for avoiding spoilers, but you need something to hang on to when deciding whether to see a movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds to me like something the studio would encourage Abrams to say, y'know, in order to make us think that they're aware of Into Darkness's problems and or to make us think that Star Trek Beyond will be better somehow.

Had to laugh when JJ referred to Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof as "brilliant writers."

“At the end of the day, while I agree with Damon Lindelof that withholding the Khan thing ended up seeming like we were lying to people, I was trying to preserve the fun for the audience, and not just tell them something that the characters don’t learn for 45 minutes into the movie, so the audience wouldn’t be so ahead of it,” Abrams told BuzzFeed.

Oh I get it now, JJ. It only seems like you were lying to us. :rolleyes:

Lindelof is a good writer of moments but needs someone (like Cuse) to make sure the big picture stays in focus. Without that, or paired with clowns like Orci/Kurtzman, he's dangerous.