John Williams: A Celebration! An 80th Birthday Tribute (Sony Classical CD releasing February 28th)

Jay

Sony Classical is releasing a new CD in celebration of the maestro's 80th birthday (Which is February 8th) on February 28th. You may pre-order it here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WDHDA4

UPDATE: Track last

01. Sound the Bells! (2:50)

02. Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws (4:23)

03. Theme from Sabrina(4:58)

04. March from 1941 (4:14)

05. Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (9:47)

06. Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse (3:35)

07. The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (3:12)

08. Harry's Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (5:21)

09. Elegy for Cello and Orchestra (6:22)

10. Going To School from Memoirs of a Geisha (2:42)

11. The Mission (Theme for NBC News) (3:30)

12. Theme from Schindler's List (3:33)

13. The Adventure Continues from The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2:58)

14. Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars (7:57)

15. Happy Birthday Variations* (5:10)

TOTAL: 1:10:32

*John Williams / Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles

Sony Pictures Studios, Culver City, California, Dec, 1999

NO. That CD is released by Decca, and is comprised entirely of already released material recorded with the BPO that is owned by Philips. As Miguel said in that thread, he was under contract with Philips from 1980-1989. In 1989 he signed a new contract with Sony Classical.

So both labels are releasing new CDs in celebration of his birthday

I very much hope this will feature new recordings and some surprises.

I do fear however it could just be another repackaging of previously released material JW recorded for Sony.

Ditto. With Sony repackaging of old stuff is more a rule than an exception.

What would the dream scenario be? I'd also love to have the 2008 version of Marion's theme.

Proper BSO recorded versions of both Marion's and Irina's Themes for starters, some of Williams' unreleased concert pieces, music performed by Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman and other frequent collaborators. I bet JW has recorded tons of stuff over the years that has for one reason or another not been released on CD. Perhaps concert suites from his scores post 1995 into the 2000's. A lot to choose from really. :) One can always wish.

This will be a 1 CD Version of "JW Greatest Hits 1969-1999"

I would not be at all surprised. :lol:

It'll probably contain the quartet that Williams recently composed for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, as that was written for an 80th birthday celebration.

In honor of John Williams 80's birthday, we at Sony are releasing a 2 c.d. re-hash set of tracks from previous c.d.'s

Sony seems to really be outdoing itself this year

In honor of John Williams 80's birthday, we at Sony are releasing a 2 c.d. re-hash set of tracks from previous c.d.'s

Sony seems to really be outdoing itself this year

Well, we don't know that yet. I think you're confusing this with the Decca release:

NO. That CD is released by Decca, and is comprised entirely of already released material recorded with the BPO that is owned by Philips. As Miguel said in that thread, he was under contract with Philips from 1980-1989. In 1989 he signed a new contract with Sony Classical.

So both labels are releasing new CDs in celebration of his birthday

You'd think the'd get Williams an orchestra and record some of his still unreleased fanfares while he's still alive

They're much too busy re-packing old recordings

Many Bothan spies died to bring me this information

1. Happy Birthday Variations*

2. Sound the Bells!

3. Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws

4. Theme from Sabrina

5. March from 1941

6. Adventures on Earth from E.T.

7. Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse

8. The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

9. Harry's Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

10. Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

11. Going To School from Memoirs of a Geisha

12. The Mission Theme (Theme for NBC News)

13. Theme from Schindler's List

14. Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars

*John Williams, piano

For a moment I thought we get a proper recording of the orchestral Happy Birthday Variations. At least we get a piano version played by Williams itself. It seems there are some re-recordings from older compilations and original tracks from OSTs.

I'm curious what these will be:

4. Theme from Sabrina

Well, at least we got an unreleased track here :)

The piece was recorded in its orchestral setting btw, during the sessions for the American Journey CD.

The theme from Sabrina will surely be the recording with Perlman and the Pittsburgh Symphony as heard on Cinema Serenade. But Harry Potter and Indiana Jones could be from the Chicago live recordings where the Geisha suite was recorded as well, I don't know.

For a moment I thought we get a proper recording of the orchestral Happy Birthday Variations. At least we get a piano version played by Williams itself. It seems there are some re-recordings from older compilations and original tracks from OSTs.

4. Theme from Sabrina

I have no idea because Sony Classic did not release those OSTs! They either licensed the OST tracks from other labels, or they are new recordings

When was the last time we got a recording of John Williams playing piano? The 60s?

I think it's super cool we are getting this

It was reported back then, at least for Schindler's List.

The theme is not heard until the film is well under way; it comes in to accompany the unforgettable image of a bridge thronged with Jews who have been rounded up from all over the country and brought into Krakow. It is heard at infrequent intervals throughout the film, until near the end; the last time we hear it, it comes on the piano, which is played with great sensitivity by Williams himself, though the credits don't say

http://johnwilliams.home.sapo.pt/artigos/ingles/boston-globe-20-3-94.htm

As for the Sabrina solo, it was reported on an old FSM print magazine, if I remember well.

The Geisha iTunes sessions features Williams on piano.

Also, even though not officially credited, you can hear him playing the solo on Sabrina and Schindler's List.

Also Angela's Ashes. Infact the opening piano solo in the film is by Williams.

So we finally get the Happy Birthday Variations . Well it's better than nothing. It's one of the few unreleased Williams pieces left

I do kind of remember it was supposed to be on American Journey...

So we finally get the Happy Birthday Variations . Well it's better than nothing. It's one of the few unreleased Williams pieces left

I do kind of remember it was supposed to be on American Journey...

But only the piano version it seems.

I think it just starts with a piano solo by Williams or Williams accompanying the orchestra on piano (like Angela's Ashes). I doubt it's Williams playing the entire piece alone for 5 minutes..

4. Theme from Sabrina

The theme from Sabrina will more probably be the same recording with Perlamn as soloist recorded with the Pittsburgh SO for Cinema Serenade. Not sure about the rest, but I highly doubt they hired an orchestra for this rehash.

4. Theme from Sabrina

The theme from Sabrina will more probably be the same recording with Perlamn as soloist recorded with the Pittsburgh SO for Cinema Serenade. Not sure about the rest, but I highly doubt they hired an orchestra for this rehash.

Right, I forgot about Cinema Serenade.

Yep, Sabrina will definitely be that one recording.

As for The Adventures of Mutt and Harry's Wondrous World, it could be that they will be from the live recordings Williams did in Chicago in 2008 when the Geisha Suite was also performed.

Happy Birthday Variations in its orchestral setting does not feature a piano solo. I guess this new recording is probably a specially arranged reduction for piano made by JW for the occasion.

Sony Memo to JW

"John , we'd like to include at least ONE new track on that compliation c.d. were releasing but were too cheap to hire an orchestra. Remember that Happy Birthday tune, can you play that on the pian , record yourself and send it to us?"

Williams has a recording contract with Sony, hence the December '89 onward recording made in Boston and other locations (L.A., Pittsburgh, Chicago, London) are released by them. Still, that isn't automatically owned by Sony -- consider for example the film score recordings, some released by Sony, some not. Also, in 2001, Williams recorded his TreeSong for DGG, and in Boston.

I still have the hope that during the year the BSO label will release something recorded by him, during his live appearances in Boston...

JW on piano, Seiji Ozawa conducting. Very nice.

TJH

Nice, I hadn't seen that before (I think). Great to see Keisuke Wakao on the oboe there too, as I love the album he did with Williams themes (also, incidentally, having the man himself perform piano on the SABRINA track). When was this from?

By the way, also funny to see your initials TJH, as those are the exact same initials as my own full name!!

TJH

Nice, I hadn't seen that before (I think). Great to see Keisuke Wakao on the oboe there too, as I love the album he did with Williams themes (also, incidentally, having the man himself perform piano on the SABRINA track). When was this from?

By the way, also funny to see your initials TJH, as those are the exact same initials as my own full name!!

Thor, Wakao is in there because he's a member of the BSO. And Williams did not play the piano on the Sabrina theme on the Wakao CD, if that was what you meant. He only played on the final track, also the only arranged by Williams himself on that album, that one being "The Days Between" from Stepmom.

TJH

Thor, Wakao is in there because he's a member of the BSO. And Williams did not play the piano on the Sabrina theme on the Wakao CD, if that was what you meant. He only played on the final track, also the only arranged by Williams himself on that album, that one being "The Days Between" from Stepmom.

Yes, I know he's part of the BSO, of course. Still nice to get a glimpse of him (he's one of the few BSO members I know about). But you're right about STEPMOM instead of SABRINA on the Wakao album....sorry about that.

Slight change to the track list They added The Adventure Continues from Tintin and moved Happy Birthday Variations to the end

01. Sound the Bells! (2:50)

02. Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws (4:23)

03. Theme from Sabrina(4:58)

04. March from 1941 (4:14)

05. Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (9:47)

06. Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse (3:35)

07. The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (3:12)

08. Harry's Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (5:21)

09. Elegy for Cello and Orchestra (6:22)

10. Going To School from Memoirs of a Geisha (2:42)

11. The Mission (Theme for NBC News) (3:30)

12. Theme from Schindler's List (3:33)

13. The Adventure Continues from The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2:58)

14. Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars (7:57)

15. Happy Birthday Variations* (5:10)

TOTAL: 1:10:32

*John Williams / Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles

Sony Pictures Studios, Culver City, California, Dec, 1999

I wonder, since this Happy Birthday Variations was recorded in 1999, how many of these pieces JW and Sony have tucked away waiting just the right moment to release them. Glad to see it is an orchestral version since the initial info on piano version sounded a bit strange.