John Williams: A Celebration! An 80th Birthday Tribute (Sony Classical CD releasing February 28th)

Jay

Sounds like KM. Doesn't look like him.

He is now more machine than man, twisted and craving complete scores.

Sounds like KM. Doesn't look like him.

He is now more machine than man, twisted and craving complete scores.

Wasn't he always like that? I think he just did a little polishing, thats all. These little things can make quite a difference you know... ;)

I am sure KM will start waving his arms around and shouting "Danger Will Robinson!" any day now to assimilate himself to his new avatar's form.

The liner notes to this album are well done and even touching. Williams gives a personal statement regarding the people he has worked with, followed by a general overview by someone else. Spielberg, Lucas, Ma, and Perlman then each have personal happy birthday greetings. Spielberg, quite touchingly, signs off with a "love, Stephen."

It's nice to hear the Happy Birthday Variations. I've had the score for a while. It's an interesting exercise in counterpoint, and of course showing off his ability to write effectively for the different sections of the orchestra. It's quite an indulgent piece though... aesthetically speaking. Almost camp I would say!