Headphones

bob23

Hiya, I'm looking for my first set of circumaural headphones (I'm only recently into soundtracks), the price limit being about £125, or $200 for all you americans. Preferably noise-cancelling, and close backed, any suggestions? I could do with not being too bombarded with terminology :P

These might not look all too flattering in public, but I've never regretted purchasing them:

(Clicking the image redirects you to an Amazon.com link)

beyerdynamic-dt770pro-kopfhoerer-1.jpg

Wonderful, vibrant sound quality with clarity throughout the whole spectrum as well as a gorgeously spacious stereo field.

• 4 weeks later...

Aren't open headphones better if you want spacious? ;)

I've been craving a pair of open headphones since they're generally better for orchestral or classical music, but they would be terrible on the train ride to work. Perhaps for home listening, as long as my noisy neighbors can cooperate :music:

• 1 month later...

Are the Sennheiser HD 598 the best budget headphones for orchestral music?

Just about, yes. At the $95 price, without question.

I would not ET Elliot's recommendation. He has obviously never been to a concert hall. The Grados sound like you've stuffed an orchestra into a closet.

The 598 sounds open, airy, and spacious, like an actual concert hall.

Are the Sennheiser HD 598 the best budget headphones for orchestral music?

Just about, yes. At the $95 price, without question.

I would not ET Elliot's recommendation. He has obviously never been to a concert hall. The Grados sound like you've stuffed an orchestra into a closet.

The 598 sounds open, airy, and spacious, like an actual concert hall.

I second this.

It's a well known fact that Canadians have strangely formed auditory structures. It's due to their heads being a separate piece from the lower jaw.

So, not representative of the world population.

No matter how you slice it, my 1000$ wooden Grados are better than those 98$ seinheisers

come back when you get some Sein HD 800's then we can a have a real arguement

Cute, Mark.

But, your Grados AND the Senn HD800s are like adorable fleas compared to my Emotiva Stealth 8s running on a DC1 DAC.

Come back when you have real audio equipment. Until then, you do not know sound, or space.

Emotiva....I'll look it up

But they're speakers...not headphones. And I don't want to get into the headphone vs speakers debate

(my "decent" speakers don't rival my headphones that's all I know)

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting these $200+ noise cancelling headphones from my cousin Jared for free last night.

th_IMG_0301.jpg

He uses wireless bluetooth headphones now and knew I was looking for a new pair of headphones. He rarely used these and offered them to me.

Man Bose sure have come a long way the last time I tested a pair which was like over 5 years ago. These sound great to my ears although still uncomfortable for laying down and listening to music while trying to sleep.

I need to invest in a pair of earbuds strictly for when I'm sleeping...but these will be for primary use IE: going out and about and editing music here at home.

Ended up getting these $200+ noise cancelling headphones from my cousin Jared for free last night.

th_IMG_0301.jpg

He uses wireless bluetooth headphones now and knew I was looking for a new pair of headphones. He rarely used these and offered them to me.

Man Bose sure have come a long way the last time I tested a pair which was like over 5 years ago. These sound great to my ears although still uncomfortable for laying down and listening to music while trying to sleep.

I need to invest in a pair of earbuds strictly for when I'm sleeping...but these will be for primary use IE: going out and about and editing music here at home.

Listening to music at night while you sleep? Don't forget to give your ears a rest.

Just ordered a pair of Sennheiser CX400 II in-ears, which will be an upgrade from the pair of Sennheisters I bought over 2 years ago.

Originally those were just gonna be a temporary replacement, but they ended up suiting my needs perfectly and only now does there seem to be a break in the wire somewhere.

Say what you want about the brand. But if you don't have much to spend, you can't get better.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a new pair of Sennheiser HD 201s after I fucked up the cord on my last pair. I use these at work and I really dig on their sound, although they usually require an amp. I like the 202s as well, but those are bassier and sound less accurate as a result. They sound better than most budget headphones and they're only $20, so they're easily replaceable if your shit constantly breaks like mine. Although the 78 foot cord is a pain in the ass.

I used to have a pair of those (well the original, not the II) and they were GREAT until I randomly lost them one day.  I think when we move someday I'll randomly find them in a drawer somewhere or something, or at least I hope so

I've used HD 202s for many years, although I've had to keep replacing them as I run over the cord with my chair and eventually one of the ears goes. A problem I'm trying to rectify.

A friend at work tried to persuade me to buy a better set, but the ones you can try in shops are geared more for head-banging music, and not at all for an orchestra (I listened to a few, and the soundtracks on my phone sounded like shit - didn't have a spacial feel).

I eventually have the cord issue with all headphones. I use them hard and I'm constantly active while listening on iPod at work, so the end connector gets stressed the fuck out. That's why I never spend a lot on headphones. The pair that lasted the longest were the iGrados. In fact, I need to send those and the SR60e's back to Grado for repair.

1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I eventually have the cord issue with all headphones. I use them hard and I'm constantly active while listening on iPod at work, so the end connector gets stressed the fuck out. That's why I never spend a lot on headphones. The pair that lasted the longest were the iGrados. In fact, I need to send those and the SR60e's back to Grado for repair.

Soldering is a great hobby. 

You can fix most headphone wire issues in ~10 minutes including set up and clean up. 

I need to learn how. Funny I'm certified to identify soldering defects in electronics manufacturing, but I've only seized the opportunity to actually solder about three times. I have no technique. I'll wait until I have a basement or garage where I can make a mess, instead of at the kitchen table.