E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: My Complete Compilation (just the tracklist)

Compiler411

Hello, all! I know that there are numerous topics started on getting the most complete E.T. track-list, but I've been following closely on discussion over the past few months, especially under the thread for the Isolated Laserdisc score. I've done careful compiling of all the sources of music I could get my hands on, and here is my track list of all the commercially-released music for this incomparable classic; tell me what you think, feel free to be critical or offer suggestions on things like re-ordering! (Special thanks for Stefan Cosman and Jason LeBlanc, they've been most heavily involved in digging up the most accurate dirt and getting it all out there).

1. Main Titles ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (2002) (1:06)
  2. Over The Moon ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (1982) (2:06)
  3. Abandoned And Pursued ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (1982) (2:58)
  4. E.T. And Me ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (1982) (4:49)
  5. Halloween ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (1982) (4:07)
  6. Three Million Light Years From Home -------------------------------------------------------------------- (1996) (6:49)
  7. Elliot Explores The Cornfield -------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Laserdisc) (1:18)
  8. Bait For The Goblin ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (1:44)
  9. The First Meeting ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (2:05)
  10. Into The House ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (1:38)
  11. The Beginning Of A Friendship ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (3:02)
  12. Toys On The Desk --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (2:43)
  13. I'm Keeping Him ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (2:18)
  14. The Extra-Terrestrial's Powers ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (2002) (2:42)
  15. Stuffed Animals ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Laserdisc) (0:44)
  16. Raiding The Icebox -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (2:54)
  17. You've Got To Save Him -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (2:10)
  18. Elliot's First Kiss ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (Laserdisc) (0:28)
  19. Bedtime Stories ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (2002) (5:37)
  20. The Magic Of Halloween ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (1982) (2:52)
  21. Sending The Signal --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Laserdisc) (2:14)
  22. The Communicator --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Laserdisc) (1:45)
  23. Michael's Search ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (See Note Below) (4:25)
  24. Invading Elliot's House ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Laserdisc) (2:46)
  25. Stay With Me -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (See Note Below) (3:57)
  26. He Came To Me ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (2002) (2:02)
  27. E.T. Phone Home ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (1982) (4:18)
  28. Adventure On Earth --------------------------------------------------------------------------- (See Note Below) (15:22)
  29. End Credits ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (1996) (3:51)
  30. The Flying Theme ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (1982) (3:20)

*Notable Exclusions:

1. Three Million Light Years From Home (1982) (2:57) - Despite a clean ending, it is exactly as it appears on the 1996 release (the string line at 2:14 is correctly longer in 1996 than in 2002), but the 1982 version has a bad edit of the transition from flute-to-full orchestra in the first 30 seconds.
  2. End Credits (2002) (3:49) - These are the original end credits as heard in the film, and again, it ain't cool I shunned it. But I feel like the 1996 alternate is essentially the same, but with extra orchestral and percussive flourish accompanying the piano solo.

*Concert Arrangement Ordering:

1. Over The Moon, Abandoned And Pursued, E.T. And Me, Halloween. We all love it when Williams does concert arrangements during the recording sessions, it's somethin' special. And as typical on many soundtrack releases, he'll include many of them at the beginning of the soundtrack to start building the story's immersive subtext, if that makes any sense. So I've chosen the bicycle theme (which I can't help equating to Prologue in Sorcerer's Stone in both its duration and relatively sparse orchestral use), the military theme to firmly establish the threat and menace for the viewer early on (it also flows very well; it begins on the same pizzicato string note that Over The Moon ends on), the friendship theme to provide the quieter emotional edge, and E.T.’s Halloween round things out. NOTE: My personal preference is sandwiching these four in between Main Titles and Far From Home/E.T. Alone, but please tell me if it's perhaps a better idea to put the four first, THEN Main Titles & Far From Home.
  2. The Flying Theme: This is sorta tough: this is the epitome of the film in terms of concert arrangements, its basically the entire story's summarizing theme. It felt weird plopping it in the middle, so I decided to end the soundtrack with it because of its conclusive feel, and because it would perhaps have been to much to blow all the orchestral steam at the beginning of the playlist. However, the second half of this and End Credits are almost exactly the same, so it is sort of repeat. Feel free to give opinions and preferences.

*See Note Below (yes, I mean edits. don't worry, they're not many. Please speak out, I know this is tampering.)

1. Michael's Search. All I've done is begin with the 1996 intro, and I have it crossfade into the 2002 intro. I couldn't pick between the two!
  2. Stay With Me. Otherwise known as "E.T. Is Dying," I hated having to again pick between two different intros. These "intros" take up the bulk of the track in both the laserdisc and 2002 versions (1:37 long each), so it's basically my own weird compilation: I have the 2002 intro lead into the laserdisc intro, and it works well; Williams music works so well for mixing stuff together.
  3. Adventure On Earth. The big cheese. All my edits are based on Jason LeBlanc's awesome spreadsheet of finale differences. Basically what I've done is this: The first half is all the original 1982 version, with the triangle at 6:53 and the 4 seconds of silence between "Chase" and "Saying Goodbye." I've edited the "Ouch" insert in, and have it fade into the original ouch bit. I've got the extra horns of the 1982 version, and finally the smooth transition at 13:45 and clean ending of 2002 version.

*Renaming:

1. Original Released Titles: #1-4, 6, 11, 20, 21, 24, 27-29
  2. Recording Session Titles: #5, 9, 10, 16, 19, 23, 25, 26, 30
  3. Laserdisc-Specific Titles: #7, 15, 18
  4. My Own Titles: #8, 12, 13 (quotations removed), 14, 17, 22

The primary reason I've created my own names, used recording session titles, or switched names around is because I kept thinking the original titles in the 1996 and 2002 soundtracks used E.T.'s name far to dang much! I like titles that flow well and feel full, but again, any criticisms or suggestions are welcome!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cool that you made a unique listening experience out of it, most here are content to put everything in film order. I applaud your imagination :)

Hi Compiler, good to see you here.

Nice work, looks like a solid listen.

For my own version I endeavoured to create a complete Intrada/LaLa type release, which contains everything that is out there (apart from E.T. Botanicus).

Disc One

THE COMPLETE MOTION PICTURE SCORE

1 Main Titles 1:07

2 The Forest / Keys Arrives 6:47

3 Elliott Explores the Cornfield 1:18

4 Looking For E.T 1:44

5 The First Meeting 2:06

6 Into The House 1:24

7 Meeting E.T 2:50

8 E.T. and Elliot 3:11

9 In The Closet 2:18

10 E.T's Magic 2:43

11 Mary Searches The Closet 0:45

12 E.T. Raids The Icebox 2:54

13 E.T. Gets An Idea 2:10

14 Elliot's First Kiss* 0:32

15 Bedtime Stories 5:38

16 Halloween 2:52

17 E.T.'s Machine 3:56

18 Michael's Search 4:16

19 Keyes Enters The House 2:46

20 Stay With Me (film version) 2:20

21 He Came To Me 2:03

22 E.T. Phone Home 4:16

23 The Rescue / The Bike Chase / The Departure 15:04

24 End Credits 3:49

* Contains music from The Quiet Man (1952). Composed by Victor Young

Disc Two

THE ORIGINAL 1982 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

1 Three Million Light Years From Home 2:59

2 Abandoned And Pursued 3:04

3 E.T. And Me 4:55

4 E.T.'s Halloween 4:12

5 Flying 3:25

6 E.T. Phone Home 4:22

7 Over The Moon 2:12

8 Adventure On Earth 15:09

ALTERNATE CUES

9 Michael's Search (alternate) 4:16

10 Stay With Me (alternate) 2:20

11 The Departure (alternate) 7:02

12 End Credits (alternate) 3:52

On CD 1 most cues were taken from the 2002 Hybrid SACD. With the unreleased cues taken from the Laserdisc.

Elliot's First Kiss is from the iso score with the last few seconds ripped from the region 1 DVD. (no soundeffects)

The Rescue/The Bike Chase/The Departure is a combination of both the 1982 OST and the 2002 release.

00.00 to 06:52 = 20th anniversary release

06:52 to 06:58 = 1982 OST release

06:58 to 09:55 = 20th anniversary release

09:55 to 10:44 = 1982 OST release

10:44 to 11:12 = 20th anniversary release

11:12 to 11:28 = 1982 OST release

11:28 to 12:32 = 20th anniversary release

12:32 to 12;48 = 1982 OST release

12:48 to 13:41 = 20th anniversary release

13;41 to 13:59 = 1982 OST release

13:59 to 14:14 = 20th anniversary release

14:13 to END = 1982 OST release

* times are approximations because of cross fading.

The differences are well documented in the other E.T. thread.

The 1996 and 2002 version uses alternate takes in several parts. The cloest to the version used in the film is the 1982 version, which is identical to what is used in the film, apart from the "I'll be right here" horn insert.

Track 23 from CD 1 is basically a recreation of the OST track Adventures On Earth, using the better sounding 2002 version as much as possible.

By the way, a couple of changes I neglected to mention!:

1. The 1996/2002 versions of Far From Home/E.T. Alone are NOT identical: The string line at 2:11 lasts longer on the 1996, which must be correct and NOT an artificial extension.
  2. Titles That're Originally Released But Switched Around:

• Three Million Light Years From Home ----- Switched with Far From Home/E.T. Alone on 1996/2002 versions.
  • I'm Keeping Him ------------------------------- Actually not a switch, I just removed the quotation marks.
  • The Magic Of Halloween --------------------- Switched with E.T.'s Halloween on 1982 version.
  • Sending The Signal ---------------------------- Switched with E.T.'s Machine on Laserdisc version.
  • Adventure On Earth --------------------------- Switched with Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye on 1996/2002 versions.

Ah, I see Stefan. Does Jason's spreadsheet of finale differences list all the changes, or is it missing any?

Excellant! I'll give the version a quick listen regarding those extra takes, but otherwise fantastic!

Question, Stefan: Were the iso track names your own, or were they listed with the laserdisc release?

Ohh, so did you come up with the name "Searching The House?"

And if so, it did indeed come as two different tracks on the laserdisc, "Sending The Signal split at the 2:14 mark?

If you're talking to me, I didn't invent any names myself - I merely posted a list of the titles written on the original sheet music from 1982

Question for the general public: Which one should I use:

1. AdventureS On Earth (the 'S' is always added for concert performances of the shortened version of the cue) OR...

2. Adventure On Earth (without the S, as read on the 1982 OST cue.)

1. AdventureS On Earth (the 'S' is always added for concert performances of the shortened version of the cue) OR...

Use the 1st! That's the concert version!

This reminds me...

Is it

1. Raiders March

2. Raiders' March

3. Raider's March ?

Believe it or not, all 3 have been used! And they are all the same piece!

Use the 1st! That's the concert version!

This reminds me...

Is it

1. Raiders March

2. Raiders' March

3. Raider's March ?

Believe it or not, all 3 have been used! And they are all the same piece!

Really! How interesting! I have my complete compiled thing of the original Indy score, that wasn't nearly as complicated as E.T.

Let's see. "Raider's" would refer to one lone raider, which isn't so correct since so many people are after the ark. "Raiders'" does make sense, so it would be like the March possessed by the Raiders in grammatical terms. But on all the original soundtrack releases, and in the title, it is just "Raiders" with no apostrophe, referring to the march pertaining to all the collective, plural Raiders. So Josh500, I would definitely say stick with "Raiders", as that would be true to the original soundtrack titling, and how the grammatical use of the title was originally intended I'd guess!

And by that logic, I think I'm going to stick with "Adventure On Earth" by Stefan's suggestion. My apologies, Josh500! The two big concert arrangements of Williams' themes easily available on iTunes and on regular CDs are "Adventures On Earth" and "The Flying Theme." I'm using The Flying Theme's concert title only because that was its recording session title too, but 'tis not the case with A.O.E., and otherwise I feel outside concert arrangement titles should stay out of my naming. Even though I'm using my own title names for several tracks, so I AM kinda cheating but....yeah.

Really! How interesting! I have my complete compiled thing of the original Indy score, that wasn't nearly as complicated as E.T.

Let's see. "Raider's" would refer to one lone raider, which isn't so correct since so many people are after the ark. "Raiders'" does make sense, so it would be like the March possessed by the Raiders in grammatical terms. But on all the original soundtrack releases, and in the title, it is just "Raiders" with no apostrophe, referring to the march pertaining to all the collective, plural Raiders. So Josh500, I would definitely say stick with "Raiders", as that would be true to the original soundtrack titling, and how the grammatical use of the title was originally intended I'd guess!

I believe on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album, it's with an apostrophe! But I really don't care about such things anyway... Just something that caught my attention at one time. ;)

And by that logic, I think I'm going to stick with "Adventure On Earth" by Stefan's suggestion. My apologies, Josh500! The two big concert arrangements of Williams' themes easily available on iTunes and on regular CDs are "Adventures On Earth" and "The Flying Theme." I'm using The Flying Theme's concert title only because that was its recording session title too, but 'tis not the case with A.O.E., and otherwise I feel outside concert arrangement titles should stay out of my naming. Even though I'm using my own title names for several tracks, so I AM kinda cheating but....yeah.

No need to apologize.

I was just telling what I personally prefer... I hadn't even read your original post and didn't know what you were up to! :P:lol:

It's final!!! I've officially compiled everything together, my original post has been edited permanently, the most major change being that I have moved E.T.'s Halloween and put The Magic Of Halloween in its rightful place!