The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

Fear the Walking Dead - "So Close, Yet So Far"

The companion series to its hugely successful predecessor, the second episode manages to weave a creepily suspenseful spell. As L.A.'s society begins its decline, it weaves a beautiful sense of dread akin to the best moments in 28 Days Later... and Contagion. I can't really single out a single cast member in the ensemble, but they're all pretty good -- especially Kim Dickens and Frank Dillane. If the quality keeps up for the next four episodes... it could surpass "The Walking Dead"'s first season.

Paul Haslinger's score is effective, not memorable, but it works well.

I will miss the desolateness of The Walking Dead, probably the main reason why I'm digging the show in the first place.

Alex

The first 3 seasons were top notch IMO. It started to drag just a little during S4, maybe because there was less of a group dynamic. Some of the episodes only featured 2-3 characters, but I'm still looking forward to how it will go from there. And it's always hard to see a beloved character killed (of which there are a lot in The Walking Dead).

Not a big fan of the characters, I'm sorry. To me The Walking Dead is not really a character show (not in the sense that I find them interesting). I guess that's why I keep liking the later seasons.

618_ustv_walking_dead_chupacabra_06_zps7

Alex

I'm one of them.

He started out quite likeable and inoffensive, but his uncanny ability to constantly survive bad situations and be hopelessly nice (while shagging the show's one true babe) is just annoying now.

I'm one of them.

He started out quite likeable and inoffensive, but his uncanny ability to constantly survive bad situations and be hopelessly nice (while shagging the show's one true babe) is just annoying now.

His shoddy acting doesn't do him any favours either.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rewatching Season 5 with my better half before Season 6 starts because she missed its initial run (Fear the Walking Dead is on the back burner). In the episode Them, Maggie basically spends a minute fiddling around with a key in the trunk when she wants to kill the turned kidnap victim inside. Then Glenn does too. Does nobody think that the car has a trunk release switch? Two minutes of empty TV right there.

• 3 weeks later...

Fear the Walking Dead: "Cobalt"

The moral ambiguity goes deeper... this episode recalls both 28 Days and Weeks Later with the soldier force deteriorating and the quarantined families becoming more uncertain of their future. Ruben Blades and Patricia Reyes Spindola really shine here, and there's even a Dawn of the Dead style interlude where Chris and Alicia bond over vandalizing an abandoned house. Fantastic direction by Kari Skogland, I hope she gets to do more episodes.

I'm still surprised Fear has been able to maintain the quality from the get-go. I love the slow burn, and hopefully the season finale and second season continue the trend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that only took 6 seasons...

I wasn't that impressed with it, but I like the direction they're going with the whole going out to sea thing (we'll see how long that lasts).

Basically you know that every time they have an intense episode with a battle or major death, the next episode will be a breather episode where they just walk or talk or cry or eat worms and reflect. I want less breather episodes.

Basically you know that every time they have an intense episode with a battle or major death, the next episode will be a breather episode where they just walk or talk or cry or eat worms and reflect. I want less breather episodes.

I like a few 'breathers' though. Otherwise we'd be stuck with Fear the Fury Road.

Watched episode 3 of FtWD last night, and while it does occasionally fall into the same pitfalls as the original show, it has plenty going for it. It's interesting to see a stage where the infected are still very much a minority and civilisation still exists.

• 2 weeks later...

Hallelujah. The deed is finally done.

It's been a strong start for this season, with some rather visceral imagery. Let's hope it keeps this up.

Has anyone ever mentioned how good that musical transition is between each opening scene and the intro/leader? The rapid strings motif is always heard about 2 or 3 seconds before the leader is actually shown and it's always to great effect. In fact, its usage reminds me of mystery tune of the classic TV series of The Twilight Zone.

Dunno what happened, but my Facebook exploded last night?

Was it the Red Wedding?

The Red Deading 

(sorry)  

With the alternating pattern of in the town/out of the town episodes, we have two weeks to wait to see if it's legit or one of the most deceitful low camera tricks in the show yet.

Well every main character death so far has occurred with witnesses around or a body to find. When they die, people know they're dead. Those two would be unrecognizable giblets when the herd moves on. Their loved ones would spend entire episodes searching for them. That's cruel on them and the audience.

Unless he is recognized as a zombie of sorts. Or the herd moves on and he is found.

I don't know, I'd like the show to make an edgy move like that for once. The whole sequence was well played out. It'd be disappointing if it was all a con.

Didn't see the episode, but heard about it through various web sources. Don't be fooled, it's all bullshit. They wouldn't let the episode drag out for another 10 minutes. The point of positioning that scene, and doing it in such an ambiguous way, is to build suspense and tension to carry over to the next episode. That weasel always finds a way.

There's no reasonable way that Glenn survived that. Even if they're

chomping on the Alexandria guy, there's no way that Glenn makes it out of that
pile without a scratch or a nip, and that's all it takes.

S5 Episode 9 (Tyreese gets bitten)

The season's weakest episode. The hallucinations, the drama (first Beth, now Tyreese), ... Meh.

Move on, folks! It's a big world and you will encounter new characters that will join the group.

Alexandre