What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I'm happy to see Woody acting in this.  He hasn't directed himself but a couple of times in the last 10-12 years or so.

Also, he seems to be really into period pieces lately.  Makes sense, considering how out of touch with the present he is to tell stories about the past.

Anyone (Pub, Koray, I think?) have any thoughts on the last season of Peep Show?  Haven't gotten around to it yet, mostly because it wasn't on Netflix the last time I looked.  We're also behind on Portlandia, by one season I believe.

About Stranger Things.

So they wanted to mimic Spielberg's E.T. and Close Encounters but not the music of John Williams because then modern audiences would pull out? The series is a success. That means that the old Spielberg vibe still sells but the Williams aesthetic has become a big no-go. Solution? Well, what else was typical for the '80s? Synthesizer scores? Great! Then let's combine suburban Spielberg kids stories with retro synth scores. Problem solved! 

Alex

59 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

It was also probably cheaper to have a synth score than a full orchestra.

Then they would have done Williams or an orchestral sound with samples. Trust me, they were scare of doing a Williams score.

I'm not normally quick to sit and watch British TV produce, but being stuck for something to put on with the gf after we finished Stranger Things and wanting something completely different (and relatively short) I reluctantly forced myself into trying out the much recommended BBC series which Netflix is now showing called Happy Valley. Well what can I say, it was pretty damn superb. 

Set in a rural Yorkshire village not too far from me, Sarah Lancashire (whom I've not watched in anything since she shot to major UK fame in early 90s era Corrie as dizzy barmaid with a heart of gold, Raquel) plays a tough-nosed bobby on the beat who never got over her teen daughter's suicide years earlier and who soon becomes embroiled in a locally instigated kidnap plot that develops into a personal vendetta case which she relentlessly takes into her own hands. Lancashire is utterly brilliant. Probably won awards, she has to have done. One of the more convincing and beautifully naturalistic performances I've seen in a while. Customarily, for a regionally authentic production such as this you should expect the Northern English accents to be thick and earthy, and given its setting you know there'll be a fair share of appealing green hilly countryside; albeit with a Mike Leigh tinged seedy edge running beneath throughout.

At a mere 6 50min episodes the pace is brisk and while the shades of Fargo are strong at first, I felt Happy Valley turned into something tighter and ultimately superior as straight-up thriller material. It was one of those very pleasant surprises which was the result of nothing more than an impulse, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Recommending this one particularly to @publicist

PjaF01f.jpg

@Stefancos

I've since learned that one of the main character's in this (who is a despicable piece of work) is currently the front runner to take over as Bond. Who'd have thunk! Feels like I keep making these little discoveries for myself lately. But I can see why he is, because the guy is extremely charismatic and broody, even as a complete bastard. 

VLJJAKg.jpg

I hope he nabs it. 

14 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

At a mere 6 50min episodes the pace is brisk and while the shades of Fargo are strong at first, I felt Happy Valley turned into something tighter and ultimately superior as straight-up thriller material. It was one of those very pleasant surprises which was the result of nothing more than an impulse, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Recommending this one particularly to @publicist

I saw that a long time ago. I liked it. There's a season 2 since february!

@Marian Schedenig Watched several austrian series recently of which 'Braunschlag' and this late night show with the prince regent type of host are great fun. Must be all the Tafelspitz and Kaiserschmarrn.

Actually had a feeling you might have already watched it. Aye, Netflix doesn't have S2 yet unfortunately. 

So yeah, it ain't sophisticated high art or anything, but as mainstream TV thrillers go Happy Valley is up there. 

I don't really remember much aside from the cast (which includes Professor Moriarty's wife from ST: TNG and a talking dolphin), the theme (which I recorded on my Talkboy from Home Alone 2) and losing interest after the second season. A lot of the bridge drama is pretty boring so far. Darwin is just ridiculous. Roy Scheider is great. I had his action figure. Debney's music sounds a lot like some of his Trek scores. I love hearing that mini version of Horner's Universal theme at the end of each episode. Hair's greasy, now let me throw on a faded denim shirt, grab a Crystal Pepsi and dive back in.

I must say, so far, Baz Luhrmann's The Get Down is pretty good. It almost feels like a groovy version of The Wire.

the-get-down-staffel-1-the-get-down.jpg

Sadly, Luhrmann only directed the pilot. The second episode felt already more flat and conventional.

Alex

4 hours ago, Jay said:

He isn't doing a third True Detective like he originally said he was? 

Re: The Get Down, I'd heard the Luhrmann directed pilot was the weak link but that it possibly improves a little in subsequent episodes directed by other people. What I read about it told me the genre isn't of interest to me anyway. 

On 14.8.2016 at 8:33 AM, publicist said:

@Marian Schedenig Watched several austrian series recently of which 'Braunschlag' and this late night show with the prince regent type of host are great fun. Must be all the Tafelspitz and Kaiserschmarrn.

I haven't seen Braunschlag yet (I can't even remember the last time I watched a new Austrian series I watched), but apparently everyone found it very good.

We watched that this spring.  It started out great (great main title sequence, too) but got pretty silly by the end!

The first episode of Peaky Blinders. It's a real feast for the eyes alright and the setup was pretty damn good, but what a shame about the accents! They're absolutely shocking! It was nigh on impossible to pay no attention to the woefully bad Brummie imitations going off every left right and centre which seemed to veer wildly at any one time between Wirral scouse to cockney via Leeds while *sometimes* landing on what vaguely sounded like a person from Birmingham. I'm going to try and get used to it for the sake of what might otherwise be a great piece of stunningly detailed world building, but I'm not sure I'll be successful. 

Sam Neill rose above the bad impersonations though with this brilliantly hard Irish police chief... talk about scene stealing. Luckily his inclusion alone makes me want to see what happens next. 

54QwN3J.jpg

MwVSLti.jpg

cFWNR6l.jpg

So The Night Of finale airs next week and I'm really not sure what to expect. It's a series that started out amazingly strong and has kind of lost steam as its gone on IMO.  It's still very interesting and all the actors involved are always compelling, I'm just not sure what story it's trying to tell at this point.

Spoiler

I have to admit, it really started to lose me when Naz started smoking crack.  I think it's definitely part of the point what prison can do to a (maybe) innocent person, but the show also clearly wants to introduce doubts about the quality of Naz's character.  Very strange.

The Night of was amazing when it started but has been quite lame lately.  Especially with Naz's lawyers doing the kind of investigative work of tracking down  the real killer months (a year+? there's no way to tell how much time has passed on the show) later, that the police should have done right away!

I haven't seen last night's episode yet but its been quite disappointing to watch the show slide so much.  I wonder if the final 2 episodes will save it?

A shame about NIGHT OF. Was on episode 5 and felt a bit torn about the unfolding of events - the cab problems should go - but i definitely stay on to the end - a spell 'Stranger Things' certainly didn't weave.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

but i definitely stay on to the end - a spell 'Stranger Things' certainly didn't weave.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the kid, I wouldn't have made it to the end either. 

The biggest issue I had with Stranger Things is the unashamed quantity of rip-offs they put into the show. The ones from E.T. are probably the most blatant and irritating, but they also pillaged an awful lot from Stephen King's novels and stories. Some people say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but here all the so-called homages were so unrelenting and unabashed that really took me out of the main story (which gets predictable all too soon, imho). I get this is a huge love letter to 1980s movies/stories and that's it (and it really makes you feel nostalgic about it), but when it gets so obvious and methodical, there's no way I can feel emotionally involved. The kids were the only reason I sticked until the final episode. I still cannot understand the level of fanboy-ism it generated. Maybe I'm getting too old, go figure :)

I can speak for myself only, but if I happen to feel that nostalgic about the imagination of 1980s movies, I still prefer to go back to the originals and rewatch E.T., Poltergeist, Raiders or whatever I might like instead of watching a retread, even if well packaged as Stranger Things.

For me the disappointment with Stranger Things is far less to do with its borrowing from classic movies and more due to the disproportionate level of online hype and collective fawning I read after the first couple of episodes had been seen. It didn't add up. I mean, it was a nice little Netflix offering and I quite enjoyed it overall, but it's hardly the brilliance some people seem to fall over themselves to tell you it is. The best thing about Stranger Things was that it proved there's still an appetite for PG rated fantasy sci-fi and that not every new American show has to be another criminal underworld glamorising adult male's bored daydream. I think Stranger Things earned its success in that way. 

Still, if i only get away from badass drug crimelords by watching slavish retreads of old kiddie stuff that was retreaded like hell when it was new anyway, i stay with the crimelords.

Yes I haven't had any interest in checking out the latest crime lord shows either - as you said, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad already covered more than enough of that world for me, and did it expertly