Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets -- Score Appreciation Thread

Josh500

The Chamber of Secrets -- Score Appreciation Thread  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the track on the OS album "Fawkes the Phoenix"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
  2. 2. How would you rate the track on the OS album "The Chamber of Secrets"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
  3. 3. How would you rate the track on the OS album "Dobby the House Elf"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
  4. 4. How would you rate the Original Soundtrack Album of "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star

I still prefer HPPS and POA over COS since the second score has so much repurposed music from the 1st film even though it also has some nice new material. POA is very refreshing in its new sound and style but has the downside of being weak in thematic continuity with the first two. But as it has been already said the third film was already transitional and quite different from the first two so the score follows the suit and Williams was inspired to write some of the best material of his Potter scores for the 3rd score.

That said COS is still a terrific score. I also prefer the clearer recording and crisper sound of COS to PS. I just wish the new themes for the second score could have been more frequently used in the underscore.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that what astounds me about CoS is that it is so multilayered, yet it somehow remains very clear. In no way, and at no time, does it ever feel like a jumbled mess. There are times when it seems like with so much going on, it SHOULDN'T be so clear, but it is as a bell. Of course SS/PS is going to seem much more innovative, since it is brand new material. I really think that CoS bumps it to the next level, and then PoA takes it to a completely different place, while remaining true to the preceding two.

The dramatic instinct involved in making that happen is so important to being able to adapt for the different content of each episode, and if you listen to all three in a row, it definitely has the feeling of an unfinished symphony to me... PoA sounds so much like it was underplayed on purpose to allow for room to grow. Had he done GoF, it probably would have been amazing to hear so much content woven together.

Of course SS/PS is going to seem much more innovative, since it is brand new material.

SS/PS may be a lot of things, being 'innovative' is certainly not one of them.

Many here think Harry Potter is Hook + Home Alone + Indiana Jones.

It largely is. Its not the most innovative of scores, but that doesn't change the fact that its an awesome modern classic.

Many here think Harry Potter is Hook + Home Alone + Indiana Jones.

An interesting notion. As films, Harry Potter does share so many elements with all three. The scores are bound to follow if the composer is the same. I think that we mustn't be too quick to confuse how we perceive the music as a whole with its actual content. Yes, much sounds similar, but the actual content is quite different. Perception and specifics can be confusing.